DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thought I was going to be a Mavic Air 2 pilot

Al Simon

Reactions
I've been excited at the prospect of being a drone pilot and looking forward to getting one. After a lot of study I ordered a Mavic Air 2 fly more combo with refresh and all the accessories. It was $1200. My order was rejected as they said my credit card wasn't good. I did it over and was rejected again. I use this card every day, more than enough room for purchases. I chatted with somebody at DJI and from the language I assume it was somebody from mainland China. I asked for a phone number and was refused a contact number, they said they would call me. I don't see any readily available customer service numbers listed on their website. So I searched customer satisfaction with DJI service and found a huge amount of problems. It seems people love their Mavic unless there's a problem and then the headaches start. I would love to take a chance that everything I received worked but I don't need the frustration of dealing with a China based company for a $1200 toy. Very sad as it looks like its a great drone as long as you don't need the warranty. DJI is rated "Average" with 3.2 / 5 on Trustpilot

Not sure in what country you reside but there may be some domestic sellers of the drone online. As long as they are official DJI retailers, this may be the better way to go. As many in this forum have pointed out, at least if your in the U.S., state farm offers insurance (personal articles insurance) on the hull for about 60-75 dollars a year. They will replace it even if it can be recovered (i.e., a deep water crash). Just to cover all my basis, I did purchase DJI refresh in addition to state farm.

I purchased a refurbished model with a smart controller online for about 1,600 us dollars. Arrived in 3 days, had trouble with it and exchanged if for another refurbished model. That one works great.

Good luck.

I've been excited at the prospect of being a drone pilot and looking forward to getting one. After a lot of study I ordered a Mavic Air 2 fly more combo with refresh and all the accessories. It was $1200. My order was rejected as they said my credit card wasn't good. I did it over and was rejected again. I use this card every day, more than enough room for purchases. I chatted with somebody at DJI and from the language I assume it was somebody from mainland China. I asked for a phone number and was refused a contact number, they said they would call me. I don't see any readily available customer service numbers listed on their website. So I searched customer satisfaction with DJI service and found a huge amount of problems. It seems people love their Mavic unless there's a problem and then the headaches start. I would love to take a chance that everything I received worked but I don't need the frustration of dealing with a China based company for a $1200 toy. Very sad as it looks like its a great drone as long as you don't need the warranty. DJI is rated "Average" with 3.2 / 5 on Trustpilot
I have had great success with drone purchases using B&H in New York. Great service, free shipping and they have a legal way where my high CA sales tax is paid by using their PayBoo card. That alone saves me about 9% right there. I have used them for photography needs for 20 years or more.

Use Amazon.com
Maybe part of the CC problem may be your using a debit card that has a transaction limit. Otherwise call the CC company and ask for the reason for decline.
Good luck

Last edited:
Not sure in what country you reside but there may be some domestic sellers of the drone online. As long as they are official DJI retailers, this may be the better way to go. As many in this forum have pointed out, at least if your in the U.S., state farm offers insurance (personal articles insurance) on the hull for about 60-75 dollars a year. They will replace it even if it can be recovered (i.e., a deep water crash). Just to cover all my basis, I did purchase DJI refresh in addition to state farm.

I purchased a refurbished model with a smart controller online for about 1,600 us dollars. Arrived in 3 days, had trouble with it and exchanged if for another refurbished model. That one works great.

Good luck.
I live in the Michigan part of the USA. I wondered if a seller other than DJI would be a better route to go. They probably know how and have some priority dealing with China based company, make sense. Some videos I have watched said to purchase direct so that is what I tried. Thanks!

I have had great success with drone purchases using B&H in New York. Great service, free shipping and they have a legal way where my high CA sales tax is paid by using their PayBoo card. That alone saves me about 9% right there. I have used them for photography needs for 20 years or more.
I have an account with B&H! Thanks.

Hi Al Simon Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
Sorry to see you are having problems.

I would contact your card company to see why the transaction didn't go through, I have had to do that myself in the past, turned out it was because all the parts for my new PC was an unusually large purchase.

Incidentally I was pleasantly surprised how fast DJI sent my extra batteries, the only things I bought direct.

Reactions: RMS001 and fguthrie

I do a lot of business with both B&H and Adorama. I tend to go with Adorama on big-ticket items because their VIP program has some built-in insurance for "drops and spills" coverage.

...I would contact your card company to see why the transaction didn't go through,..

^^^This^^^

Probably just fraud protection kicking in. I've had it happen to me before when making a large purchase that's outside my "usual" pattern. Just need to tell them it's okay, it's you making the purchase. It'll go through after that.

I bought mine at Best Buy, they stock accessories too.

May be your fraud detection on the card as others said. That’s a large purchase from a China company. I’ve always had fairly quick shipment from DJI, or B&H and Adorama as well.

As far as having issues, some people do and I think a lot of it is just user error, interference (too close to big metal objects), or not enough satellites (but even then it’s like flying an fpv or home built), that is when the care refresh package comes in handy.

If there was ever a USA company that made quadcopters like DJI...

Reactions: LoganAir
Well thanks people, I will study this further before making a decision. I called B&H and they said they have no problem with defective returns but after 30 days you deal with DJI. The first guy I talked to said they are kinda like Samsung, a huge market share but customer service can be iffy. My card company said go ahead with the purchase, the card will work, a protection thing I guess. I will research Autel some, I seen a customer service number quickly on their site. More $$$$ though. Al>

I try to use amazon for most things just because its an extra layer of protection and free shipping. Are you finding it cheaper thats why your not? Just curious i know some thing arent always cheaper on amazon but thats what camel camel is for.

Attachments

• 2020-08-21_12-04-44.png
    2020-08-21_12-04-44.png
    309.5 KB · Views: 19
I have a credit card with a $30,000 limit. I pay it off every month. Even it is turned down occasionally for no obvious reason.
Don’t feel bad

Reactions: vetracer
I have a credit card with a $30,000 limit. I pay it off every month. Even it is turned down occasionally for no obvious reason.
Don’t feel bad
Same here, high limit, pay off every month, I route all bills through it. It was flagged as uncommon purchase I guess. I just as soon they kept an eye on it as my card has been compromised a number of times over the years. Last one was I bought a kayak in Arkansas for $900!

I got mine at Best Buy, which had it in stock. Good thing, too, because I had to return it today for battery issues (never got it in the air) and they gave me another one. Fingers crossed there are no problems with this one.

I've been excited at the prospect of being a drone pilot and looking forward to getting one. After a lot of study I ordered
I got mine at Best Buy, which had it in stock. Good thing, too, because I had to return it today for battery issues (never got it in the air) and they gave me another one. Fingers crossed there are no problems with this one.
Just curious as to what issues you had with batteries? Thanks.

Kept getting a message that the battery was not inserted properly. Got it with all three batteries. I’m thinking it was related to the issue involving using the charging hub to do the initial battery charging. DON’T DO IT. Charge all three individually for their first charge, then you can use the hub (assuming you get the Fly More package. There are several threads about this. Mine is HERE.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147