DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts on this range extended N1 controller?

wrybread

Reactions
I fly over open ocean with my Mini 3 Pro in FCC mode, and am trying to get a bit more range. And sometimes I fly from inside my car and would love to get the antenna outside the car when going long distances. I've been seeing pics of N1 controllers with antenna mods, and just found one on eBay. Any idea if this is likely to get significantly better range?

Any other mods or built out controllers to try?

Last edited:
I fly over open ocean with my Mini 3 Pro in FCC mode, and am trying to get a bit more range. And sometimes I fly from inside my car and would love to get the antenna outside the car when going long distances. I've been seeing pics of N1 controllers with antenna mods, and just found one on eBay. Any idea if this is likely to get significantly better range?

Generally speaking, these things are more of a hinderance than they are of help. I do know that I dont have any issues with my RCN1 at the moment with range. I know the RC Pro is 4x the transmission power, but I find that unnecessary where I live and fly. I would need a lot more battery to get of range on my N1 the way I fly over marsh and intercoastal waterways around here. Maybe in the city and stuff it would be quite different.

However, saying that, I would be quite interested in knowing if they really are a scam. I, too, fly over open water here on the east coast.
Maybe someone will chime in..?

Last edited:
As mentioned above, go after a difficult controller.

there are several range test videos on youtube that tend to substantially demonstrate there is little difference in range between the RC-N1, RC, and RC Pro. In fact the RC seems to be worse than the RC-N1

where the transmit power of the RC pro might help is around obstructions like trees or in a busy wi-fi area.

youtube also has many videos of various range extenders and generally, if they help any it's minor help...maybe 10% more range, at best. Might be because the signal is two-way and there's no range extender in the drones

Might be because the signal is two-way and there's no range extender in the drones
I stumbled on this kit, which has a drone signal booster too if I understand it correctly:

Not an option for me at the moment because of my warranty. But when it's expired could be interesting.
there are several range test videos on youtube that tend to substantially demonstrate there is little difference in range between the RC-N1, RC, and RC Pro. In fact the RC seems to be worse than the RC-N1

A friend just left who has the same drone as me (Mini 3p) and the RC controller. I'm kicking myself for not doing a side by side range test on open ocean.

I can confirm my DJI RC (not the n1) was able to maintain full signal strength (direct line of sight) at 1km away at 45° flight angle from takeoff with my mini 3 (not the pro) but you need to pay attention to the compass orientations on the display to ensure you keep the RC pointed directly at the aircraft. Great range though and more than I will ever need.
The n1 should be even better out of the box.

I bit the proverbial bullet and bought the modded controller, I'll post some range tests when it arrives. I have an un-modded N1 controller to compare it to.

Let me know if there's anything I should be testing for other than the obvious range test. I guess I can test flying behind a hill to test penetration.

I don't expect much, at $100 it's cheaper than most kits to add antennas to your own N1 controller, and this includes the controller...

Last edited:
I've found that external patch antennas give a more reliable signal, that's why I avoided the DJI RC. The larger the area of the patch: the better. Both the N1 and the RC are 1T1R, the RC PRO is 2T2R (2 transmit - 2 receive) so you will definitely see an improvement, but don't discount the Yagi/Uda slip-on passive "boosters". They don't "boost" at all: they shape the signal and reflect the backwash so that it's going in the right direction. In awkward locations, I've tried them out and there IS a measurable +3dB gain, which doesn't sound like much until you realize that dB gain is logarithmic. Don't knock simple... Simple is usually best and simple is also a lot cheaper than complicated.

Any idea which one you tried?
Just hooked these out of my transit pack for a photo opportunity. Bear in mind that like patch antennas in general, these are highly directional. You do need to keep the controller pointed pretty much directly at the drone. Before use: you need to take the transmit signal out of DUAL BAND and manually select either 2.4 or 5.8ghz frequency to stop it from hopping automatically. These are for the Mavic 2 RC1A/B, but you can buy these designed specifically for the N1 controller.IMG_20230526_072702_000.jpg

Last edited:
This will get out 12km on a Mini 3 Pro and 16km on a Mavic 3. Also 6km Mini 2.
Thinking about this more, I think you're talking about the distance of the flight, not the range from the controller? This wouldn't be affected by the antenna unless I misunderstand.

I get about the same distance with my Mini 3 Pro currently when using the long range battery.

1685087009290.png

Attachments

• 1685087002061.png
    1685087002061.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Distance from controller:
Mini 3 Pro w/ plus battery 12km (going to revisit this because I want the world record)
Mavic 3 stock batt 16km. I did 16.3km with the RC Pro and the real advantage of the RC Pro is flying lower down.
Mini 2 stock batt 6km

My best total distance with the Mini 3 Pro is 24km or 14.9 miles.

Mini 3 Pro w/ plus battery 12km (going to revisit this because I want the world record)

Are you saving screenshots of the max distance during those flights? Would be interesting to see. That's a pretty amazing distance from the controller, I get a max of I think 3 miles when I tested, but I haven't tried standing on top of a hill during a range test.

On a sidenote it would be nice if the Flight Data Center showed the max distance from the controller for each flight. I wonder if that data is in the raw log files and retrievable.

Last edited:
Hmm, I asked the seller what the gain is on the antennas and he said he didn't know... That seems like something he'd definitely know if he designed the mod and is doing it himself as he says. Oh well, still worth the risk since it's so cheap.

Short answer, no.

You need to amplify not only the controller antennas, but also the drone antennas in order to get more range.

Modifying the controller to add two antenna connectors to be able to connect any antenna would give you the possibility of relocating the antenna to a better location, but you'll get the best range just by pointing the default antenna to the drone and keeping an unobstructed line of sight between the drone and the controller.

If you are already in FCC mode, the only thing that could improve range is the 4G dongle (not available for the Mini 3) or the pro controller, which in FCC mode has a 2W output while the RCN1 has only 0.4W, but IDK if it would have any effect on the Mini 3 as the antennas and emission power of the drone are little.

So in resume for long range you want a Mavic 3 paired with the pro controller in FCC mode, so both work at 2W.

PS: As there was no hack available for my previous Autel Evo Lite+ to switch it to from CE to FCC I modified the controller, added an external amplifier and put an antenna at the top of my house... and the only benefit was that I hadn't to point the controller towards the drone anymore, but range wise was about the same because the drone was still emitting at 0.1W (CE power).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne