DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Three blade props

detectorguy

Reactions
I was looking around and came across a three blade carbon fiber prop. Has anyone used these on a mavic 2 pro zoom and had any luck flying with them ?
Thanks

If you're referring to RCGEEK's 3 blade props, you can find lots of reviews for them here. Per the usual, you should know they will void your DJI warranty if they cause a crash.

1566768226075.png

I was looking around and came across a three blade carbon fiber prop. Has anyone used these on a mavic 2 pro zoom and had any luck flying with them ?
Thanks
Besides M-helps reply, a recent discussion also suggested that carbon fiber might not be best if the drone were to strike something, even a tree branch. The strong carbon fiber might resist easy breaking and transfer the force to the engines or arms/legs whereas the DJI props might yield/break and not transfer the force.

In addition, as I wrote in one of those threads, DJI has magically created a four pound weight that can fly and fold up nicely. I guess I trust them to design appropriate props for this miracle device.

Reactions: Windkous
They have been around forever.
If they really were an improvement, we'd all be flying them and DJI would have put them on as standard equipment.

If they really were an improvement, we'd all be flying them and DJI would have put them on as standard equipment.

That's true.
They could run smaller dia blades, and / or marginally less pitch.
I suppose though the main benefit with the concept is they could give longer flight time, lower motor revs for lift, but then that may long term reduce motor life with extra torque needed ?

The other thing is with folding tri blades there is another point of failure with another blade attachment point.
All FPV racing type drones seem to run tri blades, but they all seem fixed.

I recently bought a set, they are quieter and RPM’s are lower. However, My decision if they are an improvement is still up in the air.

I like them, but I’m not seeing an increase of flight time. They are quieter, that’s a fact.

Paul

Some guy did a test of different props on youtube, the 3 blade ones did not come out as the best.
YMMV

Reactions: BigAl07
Besides M-helps reply, a recent discussion also suggested that carbon fiber might not be best if the drone were to strike something, even a tree branch. The strong carbon fiber might resist easy breaking and transfer the force to the engines or arms/legs whereas the DJI props might yield/break and not transfer the force.

In addition, as I wrote in one of those threads, DJI has magically created a four pound weight that can fly and fold up nicely. I guess I trust them to design appropriate props for this miracle device.
What weighs 4lbs

Reactions: ff22
One of the big problems that's been reported about 3-blade CF prop's, is that due to their lack of flexibility, they can put a load of stress on the airframe, prop' rivet fixings and motors if the Mavic does a sudden stop from high-speed sport mode. In fact the stop will almost tip the Mavic nose-up vertical to the extent it will come close to motor cut-out! CF prop's will give a lower rpm - but that doesn't seem to translate into extended flight time. Flight-time seems to decrease when you use CF prop's. In other words, the lower rpm is due to the prop's needing more force (battery power) to push them through the air. This is also the case for 2-blade CF prop's. Although these propellors use CF, they are based on the DJI 8331 or 8743 (Mav Pro Platinum / Mav 2 Pro) prop' blade shape and therefore aren't an aerodynamic re-design. 3-Blade CF prop's also reduce top speed of the Mavic, as in its nose-down full-forward state, it's able to spin the prop's at the same speed, but has to push those 4 additional blades through the air ...
Something like the Master Airscrew 'Stealth' prop' is a redesign and that will provide longer flight times and lower rpm due to aerodynamic efficiency. Propellors are like gearboxes for vehicles, you have a different design for a X-country 4x4 than for a town car ... CF has its place but seems to be limited ...

That's true.
They could run smaller dia blades, and / or marginally less pitch.
I suppose though the main benefit with the concept is they could give longer flight time, lower motor revs for lift, but then that may long term reduce motor life with extra torque needed ?

The other thing is with folding tri blades there is another point of failure with another blade attachment point.
All FPV racing type drones seem to run tri blades, but they all seem fixed.
There is no free lunch. Lower RPM for the same thrust requires more current which equates to more heat and increased IR losses (lower efficiency).

There is no free lunch. Lower RPM for the same thrust requires more current which equates to more heat and increased IR losses (lower efficiency).
Not always the case - I run Master Airscrew prop's on my Mav Pro Platinum, and they spin at lower rpm, but give me about 2 minutes extra on the battery - so that's telling me that the prop's are more 'efficient' than stock DJI (& Carbon Fibre).

Reactions: Deleted member 3792
Another thing to consider with carbon is that it could make a shield over the AC and give problems with the gps receiving.

Reactions: AMann
Not always the case - I run Master Airscrew prop's on my Mav Pro Platinum, and they spin at lower rpm, but give me about 2 minutes extra on the battery - so that's telling me that the prop's are more 'efficient' than stock DJI (& Carbon Fibre).
And you don’t think if there was an easy 2mins to be found DJI wouldn’t have done it? The most likely explanations would be cost but there are others obviously.

Another thing to consider with carbon is that it could make a shield over the AC and give problems with the gps receiving.

Haven't thought of this, it would be an interesting test to see how a carbon fiber shield attenuates gps signals.

And you don’t think if there was an easy 2mins to be found DJI wouldn’t have done it? The most likely explanations would be cost but there are others obviously.
Well DJI obviously haven't done it - as the cost of the MA prop's are pretty much the same as DJI 8331 prop's ... Master Airscrew has been designing propellors since 1976. DJI has been designing Drones since 2006. There is a difference in focus as well as experience, and in my opinion, MAS make the best prop's, and DJI make the best Drones - but the combination of the two takes it to another level!

I've tried tri blades on every drone of mine that would take them primarily because, well, they look kinda neat. On my M2Z the flight time improvement was marginal and the noise was about as loud but a very different pitch.

Well DJI obviously haven't done it - as the cost of the MA prop's are pretty much the same as DJI 8331 prop's ... Master Airscrew has been designing propellors since 1976. DJI has been designing Drones since 2006. There is a difference in focus as well as experience, and in my opinion, MAS make the best prop's, and DJI make the best Drones - but the combination of the two takes it to another level!
So cost might prove not to be the explanation. There will be a reason. DJI are in a position where they can buy the best external expertise and have the numbers where tooling for even the most exotic of mould shape for production wouldn't be a problem. Do you know how much closer to the design limits the power mosfets in the motor drive inverters are running? Are the props accelerating (RPM. change) within the design target when increased thrust is commanded by the flight controller? You can easily make a long list. No free lunch.

Maybe they'd need to consider making the body out of carbon fiber instead of the plastic. Advantage is lightweight and strong.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+