DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tight orbital radius video

SteveW

Reactions
Trying to find a way to circle (orbit) vehicle in a car lot taking exterior footage at a height of 3 -4 feet. This would be for car sales/marketing purposes so can’t stick fly it and look right (not with my skill set anyway). Autopilot maybe? Height restrictions there? Negative altitude possible to defeat limits ? Any help appreciated.

Trying to find a way to circle (orbit) vehicle in a car lot taking exterior footage at a height of 3 -4 feet. This would be for car sales/marketing purposes so can’t stick fly it and look right (not with my skill set anyway). Autopilot maybe? Height restrictions there? Negative altitude possible to defeat limits ? Any help appreciated.
That is too low for any of the automated flight modes, any way to raise the vehicle?

You can do it smooth manually you just need to practice.

I thought you could start a POI shot, then during the orbit, lower the altitude manually.

Don't know if Drone Harmony has a lower flight limit or if its a firmware function of the Mavic itself?
You could try flying higher, with a wider orbit a lot further out and zoom in to max.... that might give you the shot /perspective that you are after??

6feet min altitude

That's a task which should be done by Osmo or a Ronin.

Reactions: 2nckayakers

Two possibilities:

A. Tripod mode, much easier to be smooth and precise. You can always speed up in post.

B. Just hold the Mavic folded and walk around (you don't even need Katana).

If you want to use your DJI aircraft for this job, use Autopilot. Here are the minimum operation altitudes:
(Take care when operating your aircraft at these low altitudes)
Autopilot_min_alt.PNG

Reactions: SteveW
If you want to use your DJI aircraft for this job, use Autopilot. Here are the minimum operation altitudes:
(Take care when operating your aircraft at these low altitudes)
View attachment 26914
I will dig around in AutoPilot settings and check these adjustments. There is one of me and many cars to handle so while my Osmo would work just fine I have to shoot it myself and this slows me down. I just want to drive a car to an open spot engage drone to orbit get out of car move next car to queue and repeat process over and over. Thanks for sharing.

That's a task which should be done by Osmo or a Ronin.
Yep that low to the ground is definitely something you can do better with something hand held. There are all kinds of things you can use to build a dolly and then just do a standard dolly shot. Put some swivel casters on a tripod and roll it around, use a wagon with some big rubber wheels and put the tripod in it, even put someone in a wheel chair and roll them around the car using a standard camera or yep you can old the MP in your hand and use all of the above. There are all kinds of possibilities other than trying to fly a tight orbit. Using the MP by hand you could even open the doors and get fly through shots. Or if you have a hatch back you could rig something up on a arm and fly the camera through the rear. Watch some of the videos people have posted on real estate and look at the interior work. There are a lot using the MP hand held for that kind of work.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78