DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Time taken to charge 3 batteries?

deepakvrao

Reactions
Can anyone give me a rough idea how long it takes to charge 3 batteries in the hub? Say, if the batteries are all at about 20%.

Per the DJI Store info, It takes 270 minutes to charge all batteries with a DJI 18 W USB charger. That's of course assuming the batteries are not already partially charged.

Reactions: deepakvrao
Thanks guys. I lost the original charger, and am using a phone charger which is 18 watts. Taken me a bit less than 2 hours to charge 2 batteries which were ar 20 and 30 percent or so. Was wondering if that was too slow. I guess it seems OK.

Got the MM on a trip to the US, and left the charger in a hotel room in Zion.

You can tell if the batteries are quick charging by the rate at which the LEDs dance. Harder to tell when starting out though with only one or two LEDs.

It also takes several seconds before QC engages, showing normal charging first.

Thanks guys. I lost the original charger, and am using a phone charger which is 18 watts. Taken me a bit less than 2 hours to charge 2 batteries which were ar 20 and 30 percent or so. Was wondering if that was too slow. I guess it seems OK.

Got the MM on a trip to the US, and left the charger in a hotel room in Zion.

You have a fast charger and fast cable, those are good numbers. With slower cable, it takes forever.

Reactions: deepakvrao
Any data cable will do, as long as the power wires can sustain the current. But if said data cables can charge at 1.5A at normal 5v, then they can also do so at 12v.

Can anyone give me a rough idea how long it takes to charge 3 batteries in the hub? Say, if the batteries are all at about 20%.
With stock QC3 charger from 20mins I'd say 70mins per battery. You can also get a 24W QC3 charger to make it about 20% faster, maybe 50mins per battery. Best solution is the aftermarket parallel charger as that will do at same time vs inferior sequential DJI charger.

Any data cable will do, as long as the power wires can sustain the current. But if said data cables can charge at 1.5A at normal 5v, then they can also do so at 12v.

I have few flimsy thin cables they are charging fine at 5v 2.1A but do not want to switch to 12V, thicker cables have no problems with 12V 1.5A

With stock QC3 charger from 20mins I'd say 70mins per battery. You can also get a 24W QC3 charger to make it about 20% faster, maybe 50mins per battery. Best solution is the aftermarket parallel charger as that will do at same time vs inferior sequential DJI charger.
I don't think the circuits in the AC/hub will use more than 18W to the battery. IE 1.5A max at 12V Max. Won't hurt to try though.

I heard that QC 3 limits to 18W per device but that's only what someone said on this site.

I don't think the circuits in the AC/hub will use more than 18W to the battery. IE 1.5A max at 12V Max. Won't hurt to try though.

I heard that QC 3 limits to 18W per device but that's only what someone said on this site.
It's rated for 24w in the specs. Look closely at the label you'll see 12V 2A in tiny writing on the hub.
24W QC3 chargers do exist, got one with the overpriced Smart RC for the mavic 2 and a quick search on Amazon will turn up a bunch.
The parallel charger is more appealing to me though.

If there are more than one ports on the charger, then it may be 24W total, but less per port.

Only a USB V/A meter would tell you for sure. I really need to get one. But Christmas is coming so I need to refrain from buying gadgets right now.

If there are more than one ports on the charger, then it may be 24W total, but less per port.
The battery will charge upto 24W, you can check that yourself on DJI's spec sheet. I checked with a basic power meter and it does appear to draw 5-6w more current with the higher spec power supply.

I have about 15 different cables collected over the years, and all thin cables that have no problems at 5v 2A will not do 12V no matter what I try, they just don't switch.

1575943989573.png

thick cables (even very old) not a problem

1575944013457.png

I have about 15 different cables collected over the years, and all thin cables that have no problems at 5v 2A will not do 12V no matter what I try, they just don't switch.

View attachment 87755

thick cables (even very old) not a problem

View attachment 87756

What app is that? And what is it measuring? Power in to the phone from the battery pack I suppose?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi