DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trip to Zanzibar

buzzbomb

Reactions
Hi

I'm planing a trip to Zanzibar this July so I have few questions... I never took my drone in the airplane so does anybody have some advice? How to pack it, should I declare it or something... etc.
I will buy LiPo bags for the batteries but I'm not sure if that will be enough
Do I take my drone (and batteries) with me in the cabin or should I check it in with other luggage?
The other thing is, is it allowed to fly in Zanzibar, does anybody knows what regulations are down there?
If someone has any other good advice please do tell

Thank you

Which airline are you flying?

When you find out, check out the website for the airline you'll be flying. It'll likely answer all of your questions.

Hey buzzbomb...I am going on a photo safari to Tanzania in May. I asked our guide (who lives in my hometown and has probably been to Africa 20 times)
about bringing my drone..he said that are for all intents and purposes they are NOT ALLOWED..if you are really determined to bring it you have to make all sorts of
applications, pay a lot of US dollars..and get this...someone from a government ministry has to be with you during your flight. I don't know what the
consequence is if you get caught flying one without permission, but I think you can figure it out. In Tanzania, they only want you to see what they think
you should see as much as is possible. Photo safaris are controlled and not allowed to go off the approved tracks etc...

Hey buzzbomb...I am going on a photo safari to Tanzania in May. I asked our guide (who lives in my hometown and has probably been to Africa 20 times)
about bringing my drone..he said that are for all intents and purposes they are NOT ALLOWED..if you are really determined to bring it you have to make all sorts of
applications, pay a lot of US dollars..and get this...someone from a government ministry has to be with you during your flight. I don't know what the
consequence is if you get caught flying one without permission, but I think you can figure it out. In Tanzania, they only want you to see what they think
you should see as much as is possible. Photo safaris are controlled and not allowed to go off the approved tracks etc...

Uf, really bad news

Now all my enthusiasm for this trip is down :(

Thank you for the info

Hi

I'm planing a trip to Zanzibar this July so I have few questions... I never took my drone in the airplane so does anybody have some advice? How to pack it, should I declare it or something... etc.
I will buy LiPo bags for the batteries but I'm not sure if that will be enough
Do I take my drone (and batteries) with me in the cabin or should I check it in with other luggage?
The other thing is, is it allowed to fly in Zanzibar, does anybody knows what regulations are down there?
If someone has any other good advice please do tell

Thank you
I did fly with American Airlines,spirit and avianca and no problem what so ever just take it as carry-on

Take drone and batteries as carry on, never in checked luggage. One option for drone and controller are those small cases and then pack them in a camera bag, if you are taking a camera. Otherwise if you're not taking a camera then one of those drone cases.
Cases

PS... I've been to Africa many times, twice last year. No problems so far, I guess check up on local laws and restrictions as usual.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman