DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TSA Security Check for Part 107

DroneNut

Reactions
I have been working feverishly over my Part 107 study materials in an effort to become certified for commercial endeavors. I am over half way finished with my training. It is really easy because I was a private pilot with an instrument rating about 10 years ago. I was on-line, researching a couple of questions I had when I inadvertently stumbled onto the FAA site that listed what you had to do to get your remote pilot certificate and I saw that after you pass the written test, you must submit to a TSA background check. My heart just sank when I read this because last year I applied for FAA Global Entry but was denied. Apparently, I was rejected because of a couple misdemeanor offenses that I had 30 years ago! Yes, I was young and dumb then but I got my life together and have been a model citizen ever since. Does anyone know if the criteria for getting your Part 107 Cert is the same as the criteria for Global Entry? I'm just afraid I'm going to all this work for nothing. Looks like they are going to tell me that I'm ok to fly a small plane but not clean enough to fly a drone and take some pictures. Any insight you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Interesting one.. I would probably try to get a hold of someone at the FAA to find out. I remember reading a post on here not too long ago where a guy got his 107, got the card in the mail, then like a month later received a letter saying they revoked it based on some TSA issue. Not sure if he ever sorted it or not. Seems the TSA part is a bit fickle. Mine came thru without a problem, but I've never had issues with Global Entry or TSA. Hopefully it's something you can sort out before you drop the $150 for the test.

It's certainly worth asking the question, but the two criteria are different. Global Entry can be denied with any criminal record, whereas the Part 107 security disqualification is for failing a security threat assessment (no-fly lists etc.) as described in FAA AC 107-2 6.5.

It's certainly worth asking the question, but the two criteria are different. Global Entry can be denied with any criminal record, whereas the Part 107 security disqualification is for failing a security threat assessment (no-fly lists etc.) as described in FAA AC 107-2 6.5.
Good info, Thanks

I have been working feverishly over my Part 107 study materials in an effort to become certified for commercial endeavors. I am over half way finished with my training. It is really easy because I was a private pilot with an instrument rating about 10 years ago. I was on-line, researching a couple of questions I had when I inadvertently stumbled onto the FAA site that listed what you had to do to get your remote pilot certificate and I saw that after you pass the written test, you must submit to a TSA background check. My heart just sank when I read this because last year I applied for FAA Global Entry but was denied. Apparently, I was rejected because of a couple misdemeanor offenses that I had 30 years ago! Yes, I was young and dumb then but I got my life together and have been a model citizen ever since. Does anyone know if the criteria for getting your Part 107 Cert is the same as the criteria for Global Entry? I'm just afraid I'm going to all this work for nothing. Looks like they are going to tell me that I'm ok to fly a small plane but not clean enough to fly a drone and take some pictures. Any insight you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe this will help. Disqualifying Offenses

well.... I am part 61, part 107, CDL A with Haz Mat/Tank, I have a TWIC card, TSA Pre Check, and a US Passport.

My criminal history makes War and Peace seem like a pamphlet.

I doubt you have anything to worry about

Interesting one.. I would probably try to get a hold of someone at the FAA to find out. I remember reading a post on here not too long ago where a guy got his 107, got the card in the mail, then like a month later received a letter saying they revoked it based on some TSA issue. Not sure if he ever sorted it or not. Seems the TSA part is a bit fickle. Mine came thru without a problem, but I've never had issues with Global Entry or TSA. Hopefully it's something you can sort out before you drop the $150 for the test.

That was me and it was cleared up. TSA....... I apologize but I can not go into more detail other that. It was not a criminal record issue. I did have to provide lots of background information and documents to the FAA and TSA to get the decision reversed.

Reactions: Hauptmann
PS if you are Part 61 or better, IIRC the 107 test is different because you have already covered the material, I think you can do it online. The problem is you might have to be "current"

Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - ALC_Content - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

That's only the case if you're "Current" with your BFR etc. Even if you're "barely not current" you will have to take the full "in person" test as opposed to the easy as pie online Part 61+ test. I look at it as an excuse to stay current LOL.

Reactions: dawgpilot
How long does it usually take to get the notice for the certificate? I took and passed my 107 test on 17 May. Applied for certificate on the 22nd. Have not heard anything yet. Should I expect it will take a few more weeks?
Thanks!

PS if you are Part 61 or better, IIRC the 107 test is different because you have already covered the material, I think you can do it online. The problem is you might have to be "current"

Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - ALC_Content - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov
yes, you have to have a current bi annual flight review to avoid the "big" test. If you're current, you need only to take the on line bi annual test. If you're prepared to take both tests, it might be worthwhile to not have to keep a current bi annual flight review. The 107 test is bi annual too, I believe, but no practical test...yet.

well.... I am part 61, part 107, CDL A with Haz Mat/Tank, I have a TWIC card, TSA Pre Check, and a US Passport.

My criminal history makes War and Peace seem like a pamphlet.

I doubt you have anything to worry about

Lol Nothing endears you to your fellow flyers like letting them know
your a crim, albeit a well read one :)

Reactions: Zotman and BigAl07

My guess is that you'll be OK. Go for it!

Part 61 is required before paying for 107? Correct?
if so where do I obtain this?
I already have a FTN number

Huh?

Part 61 is required if you're taking the ONLINE Part 107 test. You have to be CURRENT with your Part 61 or you aren't eligiable for the ONLINE Part 107 option.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Not sure what the "Huh?" part is for but thanks for your adequate answer.
If you are part 61/91, you can take the part 107 without going to a testing center if you are current in the past two years.

And you have your flight instructor sign you off.

If you are part 61/91, you can take the part 107 without going to a testing center if you are current in the past two years.

And you have your flight instructor sign you off.
Gotit, I was a student private pilot many many years ago, wow all the change.

Thanks!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum