DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unhappy Mavic 3 Owners

what is wrong with it and why is it a critical feature? I can't think of a situation where I would need or want it
For security perspective I like to know if I am doing a work close to a airport or helipad and the aircraft is close, I like to see the altitude that show Air Sense in order to decide if is safe or not to clear the path.

Specially with helicopter can be difficult calculate the altitude that is coming specially if is flying low. Also I like to see the direction or path that is taking.

what is wrong with it and why is it a critical feature? I can't think of a situation where I would need or want it
As much as we can deny that we need it we do need it because it was sold with the drone as a safety feature. Like buying a car that was sold as having 11 airbags but when you get delivery it has only 1 airbag that might or might not work when you need it - would you then be happy taking the car?

Alot of Mavic 3 owners have been posting about how disappointed they are with the drone, lack of features of the dreaded long GPS wait times and the so called optimised non functioning Airsense. I have again emailed Dji but this time have copied in Frank Wang in the email. Have a read and if you are not happy, I recommend posting your comments to this thread and if i have missed out any promised features add them on here, also feel free to send emails to the people i have mailed because the more we bring this to the front the faster we will get action. Will it get any traction, I dont Know.

View attachment 145709

The M30t is $13,999 but includes a hi-res thermal camera with something like 5x zoom (digital). I am going to sell my M2EA, which will help to cover a good part of the cost. Plus, don't see where I will need it anymore. I am quite disappointed about the Mavic 3 and that is what gives me pause about the M30t. I have been using DJI drones since the Phantom 1 and pretty much every new release is fraught with problems. I am hoping that this will not be the case with their commercial enterprise systems.
I am going to be getting the M30t as well. Will be nice to compare notes as you may be getting yours before me. My dealer said I'm on a backorder list.

Maybe like an airbag? you pay for it because it can save your (mod removed language)when you do need it? but you hope you don't. nonetheless, you paid for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was pretty excited when the Mavic 2 Pro hit the market. I actually ordered it the day it premiered. I was considering the same approach when the 3 came to market. After reading numerous post about the crappy performance with the M3P I’m so glad I didn’t take the plunge. Sorry you guys are having so many issues.

Reactions: Kbviper
I was pretty excited when the Mavic 2 Pro hit the market. I actually ordered it the day it premiered. I was considering the same approach when the 3 came to market. After reading numerous post about the crappy performance with the M3P I’m so glad I didn’t take the plunge. Sorry you guys are having so many issues.

I am pretty much in the same situation you are. I had the money set aside to order a M3 Fly More kit the day it was released and had one in "my cart" and ready to purchase. After having some second thoughts I decided to wait and read the reviews from those who purchased one.

While I am sure that there are some M3 owners who are very happy with their drones, having read about the ongoing GPS issues, round versus oval camera issues, and a host of other problems, I am glad that I held off making the M3 purchase. I have been reading the M3 posts on this site and other sites since it was released, and as of today, have made the decision to put off the purchase of an M3 indefinitely, and will take a break from reading everything posted on the M3.

Like many, I have been using DJI products for several years and through work, and personal use, have flown many of the DJI drones released over the past 4 years. My primary drone at work (LEO) is a MEA, which replaced both a MEZ and a MED. I own 2 P4s, a MM2, a M2Z, and a M2P. I do some paid video work with the M2s, and have 14 batteries for them. The clients are happy with the video quality of the M2, and while the extra battery life of the M3 would be nice on some shoots, aquiring one is not worth the issues right now.

I wish those who have M3s all the best. It will be interesting to see if DJI makes an effort to fix the M3 issues, or moves onto an M3S, or M4.

Last edited:
Hey let's not forget the CRAPPY launch. Screwing us folks that wanted a RC PRO making us by the Cine or buy it stand alone. They purposely left out a Fly more kit with it to make more money. Then they turn around and off the RC PRo in the Air2S Flymore but still not the Mavic 3 and to add insult to injury tell the package for a few hundred more then most paid for the controller as a stand alone. This is by far the worst DJI experience I've had both on the initial purchase and the continued issues.

I’m in the return window for the RC Pro. I could return it and buy the Air2S fly more kit. However when I look at the kit on amazon it has the standard controller. Is there a v2 kit? Or was this a temporary thing?

Edit: Nevermind, I see it now. $1749. So for $550 you could have a NIB Air2S with all the fixings. Yeah, I probably would have done that had I realized it. The controller that came with my M3 has never been used.

Last edited:
I’m in the return window for the RC Pro. I could return it and buy the Air2S fly more kit. However when I look at the kit on amazon it has the standard controller. Is there a v2 kit? Or was this a temporary thing?

Edit: Nevermind, I see it now. $1749. So for $550 you could have a NIB Air2S with all the fixings. Yeah, I probably would have done that had I realized it. The controller that came with my M3 has never been used.
It's actually closer to $700, because you don't get the $150 RC-N1 which allows using larger tablets. Still a great deal, since you already have an RC-N1!

I am pretty much in the same situation you are. I had the money set aside to order a M3 Fly More kit the day it was released and had one in "my cart" and ready to purchase. After having some second thoughts I decided to wait and read the reviews from those who purchased one.

While I am sure that there are some M3 owners who are very happy with their drones, having read about the ongoing GPS issues, round versus oval camera issues, and a host of other problems, I am glad that I held off making the M3 purchase. I have been reading the M3 posts on this site and other sites since it was released, and as of today, have made the decision to put off the purchase of an M3 indefinitely, and will take a break from reading everything posted on the M3.

Like many, I have been using DJI products for several years and through work, and personal use, have flown many of the DJI drones released over the past 4 years. My primary drone at work (LEO) is a MEA, which replaced both a MEZ and a MED. I own 2 P4s, a MM2, a M2Z, and a M2P. I do some paid video work with the M2s, and have 14 batteries for them. The clients are happy with the video quality of the M2, and while the extra battery life of the M3 would be nice on some shoots, aquiring one is not worth the issues right now.

I wish those who have M3s all the best. It will be interesting to see if DJI makes an effort to fix the M3 issues, or moves onto an M3S, or M4.
It seems due to the problems regarding chipsets DJI are using Automotive grade on the Mavic 3 hence all the GPS problems.

It seems due to the problems regarding chipsets DJI are using Automotive grade on the Mavic 3 hence all the GPS problems.
I don't think that's been resolved. There's one DJI forum post that claims to have inside information from DJI and a number of posts on multiple forums that questions that conclusion.

I don't think that's been resolved. There's one DJI forum post that claims to have inside information from DJI and a number of posts on multiple forums that questions that conclusion.

I work on the Automotive industry and the same info has been said there. During the lock downs when the plants were shut they obviously we not ordering the chips. At the same time the increase in the electronics industry was soaring and the stocks of the pro chips were affected meaning the industry had a vast surplus of the Automotive chips which the electronics industry used to enable them to carry on producing.
Just saying 🙂

I work on the Automotive industry and the same info has been said there. During the lock downs when the plants were shut they obviously we not ordering the chips. At the same time the increase in the electronics industry was soaring and the stocks of the pro chips were affected meaning the industry had a vast surplus of the Automotive chips which the electronics industry used to enable them to carry on producing.
Just saying 🙂

It definitely seems reasonable to me that DJI would have used the automotive version of the chip if it was a good substitute for the other one.

It's the rest of the explanation in that blog post that leaves me unconvinced, so far. I'm uneasy about the suggestion that the addition of smart flight modes caused the home point acquisition time problem because they somehow deprive the chip of memory, even when they're not used, and create a problem with the drone downloading the ephemeris data. There are some people far more knowledgeable than I am who have expressed reservations, too.

In the mean time, I'm holding off on ordering an M3 until there's a better picture of what's going on. I think DJI does itself a great deal of harm by not being more communicative with it's customers on issues like this. It's a great frustration for users and I suspect it's hurting sales.

Reactions: Bussty
It definitely seems reasonable to me that DJI would have used the automotive version of the chip if it was a good substitute for the other one.

It's the rest of the explanation in that blog post that leaves me unconvinced, so far. I'm uneasy about the suggestion that the addition of smart flight modes caused the home point acquisition time problem because they somehow deprive the chip of memory, even when they're not used, and create a problem with the drone downloading the ephemeris data. There are some people far more knowledgeable than I am who have expressed reservations, too.

In the mean time, I'm holding off on ordering an M3 until there's a better picture of what's going on. I think DJI does itself a great deal of harm by not being more communicative with it's customers on issues like this. It's a great frustration for users and I suspect it's hurting sales.
Totally agree

Reactions: MS Coast

Agree and in same boat and IF the rumours gain any traction about a M3s with 1" tele sensor I'm definitely hanging out for that but that would make for a LOT of very angry M3 owners. Just makes it really hard to commit to buying just now.

It's more complicated than that.
Just using that chip shouldn't make any difference and it worked fine before the December firmware update.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum