DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unlocking a geozone

frankiez

Reactions
I took my Mavic into my workcenter and wanted to show,the guys. My workcenter happens to be about 1 mile from the local municipal airport but it aligns with the landing path. I just wanted to go up 30 feet or so and fly it around. My controller would not let me take off. When i tried to start the rotors a box popped up saying i was in a locked geozone and would I like to unlock it. When i hit the YES it then prompted me how I wanted to unlock it. Via credit card or phone number. Huh?????!!!!

Anybody come across this?

sent from my Galaxy Note4

Yes, that's how the GEO System is designed to work. You can learn more about it here.

Reactions: dbyantis and Robbyg
Thanks, msinger. U da' man! (Plz dont be offended if ur actually a woman)

One thing though, it doesnt answer my question why it was asking me for a credit card number.

Plz dont be offended if ur actually a woman
I'm a man :)

it doesnt answer my question why it was asking me for a credit card number
Per the above link:

"Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service. Verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone. "

I'm a man :)

Per the above link:

"Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service. Verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone. "
Thanks! u ARE da' man!!!

Ok, msinger. I tried to unlock the geozone utilizing sms and my cell phone. I immediately got a token (6 digit number) but the DJI Go app didnt ask me for the token. Nothing tells me what I need this token for or who to give it to. Just want to get this straightened out on how this works.

Good post Frankiez

I am reading along.
From what I am reading on the link you will be prompted by the app for the code when you try to fly in the location the Code is assigned for, and that will unlock it.
You can also do it from home by using the Flight planner tool and picking the location via the internet and then putting in the Code.

After looking at the map:
DJI GEO System - Unlock Areas For Authorized Access

I am realizing that just getting into a car and driving around would be a bad idea without first checking this map. In some states there are a lot of no fly zones.

Rob

Good post Frankiez

I am reading along.
From what I am reading on the link you will be prompted by the app for the code when you try to fly in the location the Code is assigned for, and that will unlock it.
You can also do it from home by using the Flight planner tool and picking the location via the internet and then putting in the Code.

After looking at the map:
DJI GEO System - Unlock Areas For Authorized Access

I am realizing that just getting into a car and driving around would be a bad idea without first checking this map. In some states there are a lot of no fly zones.

Rob
Thanks Rob but after getting 4 tokens the app never asked me for the token. I wouldve thought that it would.

This happened to me today. I was flying in a green zone but repeated tried to fly into a yellow zone. My DJI would not go forward with right stick full ahead. I switched into sport mode, totally confused by the MP's behavior, and it still would not fly forward into the yellow "Authorization Zone". It would however fly the other directions . . . . wierd.

Anyway I finally received the dreaded GEO warning message saying I needed to get a token via SMS message on my cell phone. Twice I completed the dialogue box to receive the "token" number, and twice I received the code. It said this code is good for 5 minutes. . . . . but no worries I'm thinking, because I'm gonna' punch in the "token" now.

But alas, just like the OP here, no dice. The software never asked me, nor could I figure out, while my MP hovered in the air up high, where to put the dad gum token code. Could not for the life of me figure out the place to input the code.

So I thought heck, I'll just turn off the GEO system in the menu of DJI GO 4, which I did. Just as soon as I did that I was not allowed to set a new home point, so I had to turn it back on.

Anyway, I was out of town in a place I wanted to fly on this beautifuly day, and I was flumoxed by not knowing how to fly in an Authorization Zone. Could not figure out where to put the token.

I don't like Big Brother telling me what I can and cannot do, and further, when Big Brother does tell me what to do and a process to "comply" and I can't work it, e.g. I couldn't figure out where the token goes giving me access, I got a little frustrated.

I still don't know how the darn thing works . . . .

I am a newbie and have tried now to take my Mavic Air for the trial run and have been denied due to NFZ. I live close to an airport. I go thru the process of getting an AirMap authorization number but have no clue what to do with it, did not see anywhere on my screen. Any Help?

I've had this happen with my Mavic 2 Zoom I just got. The window asking for the phone number sometimes has a link to "old version," so I've had two different types of windows pop up. In some cases I've had to get two codes. But where you put the code in is the same window you end up with after inputting the phone number. There's a field right under that is empty. The text that says "enter code" or whatever is just SUPER light and translucent, so I missed it initially due to the outdoor lighting.

Bottom line, I've gotten it to work. Just glad that's how it's supposed to work and that I AM legal after doing so!

and that I AM legal after doing so!
Nothing in there has anything to do about "being legal", that's up to you to check separately.

That's just DJI telling you "you should probably not fly here" and you clearing them from any liability by telling them "it's OK, I take all responsibility".

Nothing in there has anything to do about "being legal", that's up to you to check separately.

That's just DJI telling you "you should probably not fly here" and you clearing them from any liability by telling them "it's OK, I take all responsibility".

Oh... What's the best way to actually tell if it's ok to fly then? Just stick to areas with NO warning? Sorry for the dumb questions!

Refer to actual regulations for your location. Many governments provide guides and sometimes mobile apps with maps and official information.

DJI may have zones where it's legal to fly (or you have proper authorization) and may not have any in places you still aren't allowed to fly.

Reactions: Sarcastic1
Completely ignore DJI's stuff that is indicative only and refer to actual regulations for your location. Many governments provide guides and sometimes mobile apps with maps and official information.
I see. I will research further then. Thanks!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+