DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrade from MP to MP2? My thoughts.

As much as I would like to Have the Pro 2, I can't see enough improvement to justify the expense. The batteries and chargers have changed and are not compatible. The new bird is larger and will not fit my existing cases. ND filters don't fit. By the time I would get back to a 4 battery kit, I would be looking at well over $2000. I was hoping they would have a built in screen like the EVO but that did not happen.
The zoom model does not interest me at all. Most of the time I am looking for a more wide angle image like I get with the Typhoon H. At 400 feet, the Mavic does not get enough in the field of view.
So far, the videos I have seen, are not that much better than the original Mavic. I don't have a 4K TV. Maybe that would show the difference. I don't fly in low light, so I don't need the larger sensor for that reason. Variable aperture would be nice though.
I will sit on the sidelines and let the early adopters do DJI's beta testing. If I buy a new drone soon, it would be the Parrot Anafi.

Has anyone found a good video to compare video output differences between the mpp and the mp2 Pro?

Was watching ijustine on YouTube and a few other, they had footage of of all the mavics new and old to compare, i just cant justify it at this time the original mavic still is good quality to me, not paying 1500$ for a upgraded camera. Sure its abit better and if i didnt have a mavic pro id definitely buy the mavic 2.

Reactions: Former Member
Has anyone found a good video to compare video output differences between the mpp and the mp2 Pro?
You have two different size sensor, so the new Mavic2 Pro has to be better in tonal range and 265 over the MPP's 264 as well as better low noise in low light situations. The new Mavic 2 Pro is the better camera and image sensor. The specs show that without needing a video to see the difference.

Was watching ijustine on YouTube and a few other, they had footage of of all the mavics new and old to compare, i just cant justify it at this time the original mavic still is good quality to me, not paying 1500$ for a upgraded camera. Sure its abit better and if i didnt have a mavic pro id definitely buy the mavic 2.
If you sold your current MP then you would simply add to the sales price you received and that would be your new outlay of cash, not the full $1,500.

These conversations about price have me scratching my head - the price of non- elite handheld cameras that have very similar specs as the M2P are not really any less- so for $1500 we get a great image plus a fantastic portable flying machine- seriously- the value is outstanding.

These conversations about price have me scratching my head - the price of non- elite handheld cameras that have very similar specs as the M2P are not really any less- so for $1500 we get a great image plus a fantastic portable flying machine- seriously- the value is outstanding.
I totally agree the price is good for what you get. The debate is regarding if its worth upgrading from the mp which is pretty good.

A decent DSLR with a far bigger sensor and other features even with a decent lens come in a lot under $1500.

I think the MP2 is good value, but its more than a dslr of better quality!

While it may be a good value for someone who does not already own a Mavic, it does not seem worth the price to upgrade.

If you sold your current MP then you would simply add to the sales price you received and that would be your new outlay of cash, not the full $1,500.

I can understand and i would if i got what i felt it was worth but now everyone will think an entire mavic setup with a pelican case, 4 batterys, ect is worth nothing. I see them for sale everywhere and not moving. Eventually id like to get one just cant justify it at the moment. But im not gonna sell all my stuff for 4-500 dollars, id dathery keep it than give it away.

Living with computers and digital technology since 1980, I have learned that this has no end.

After mavic2 there will be mavic3, and in a few years all drones in the world, will make my MP look like a dynosaur.

I will upgrade when I feel I need it. I will buy mavic2 or mavic3 or what is mainstream at that moment. In the meantime, I maybe buy a second MP, if prices drop enough.

I can understand and i would if i got what i felt it was worth but now everyone will think an entire mavic setup with a pelican case, 4 batterys, ect is worth nothing. I see them for sale everywhere and not moving. Eventually id like to get one just cant justify it at the moment. But im not gonna sell all my stuff for 4-500 dollars, id dathery keep it than give it away.

You're probably right about this at this point in time. I sold my kit for $300 less than I paid for it- but that was a month ago as rumors of the new Mavic were heating up. I think I just struck at the right time to sell.

Well, they are finally here. The newest iterations of the Mavic line, the long awaited Mavic 2 Zoom and the Mavic 2 Pro. A good number of Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, MPP, and Spark owners are out there asking themselves, should I upgrade? Before you jump online, spend your hard earned $1249 or $1449 for either of the two new models, there are some things you might want to consider.

As many members are, I am passionate about many things, three of them being new technology, aviation, and shiny new things. The new Mavics are aesthetically pleasing, and pack all of the cutting edge features one could want in a drone. They are pretty reasonably priced considering their capabilities, and what their competition is offering, and what their predecessors offer. The big question is, do you need or do you just want one? I dont need either of them for what I do. I take off, livestream some boring footage to Facebook, land, pack up, and go home. My Mavic Pro does an awesome job at that, so I would not personally upgrade. I am buying a bunch of MP2's for repair parts, but not flying them for fun.

Some factors to consider when making your decision might be:

• Do you need the enhanced obstacle avoidance or do you zoom around in sport mode?
  • Do you need a Hasselblad or zoom camera, or can you get by with the MP cam with digital zoom?
  • Do you need the extra 6 minutes of battery life, or could you just go buy a new MP battery for $60?
  • Do you have the money to burn if you are not using it for work?
  • Are you going to buy Refresh? If so, add another $129 to the price.
  • Need an extra battery? You can only get them from DJI, and price is $119.
  • Are you willing to be a beta tester for the MP2? There might be a few firmware fixes before it's perfect.
New drone owners might benefit from the obstacle avoidance system, but a good set of prop guards will help alot too on a Mavic Pro.

There are so many great deals on Mavic Pros out there, it is still a viable candidate for a first drone, and is a solid choice to remain in members stables for a long time to come.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and have fun. Keep me in mind if you have a problem, and Im here to help pick up the pieces :)

Rob
I for one dont need it....not blown away by the new features either. Im happy with my spark,MP, and MA. I wont be getting the MP2.

Great thread and good input from all
That being said......
My question is and I will keep it short
1) what is the life cycle of motors/gimble
Battery for the MP.?
(what say you TD)
2) yes new and shiny but no-one address
The elephant in the room
Software limitations/restriction
(NFZ ) etc
When I receive my magic 15 mon ago
I had stars in my eyes I had been waiting for mavic for 40 yrs .(1980 RC helos )
Just amazing everytime I fly
And probably upgrade just not right now
......cR

Lifecycle of most brushless motors is hundreds of hours. I have not seen a Mavic that has worn out its motors yet, after dealing with over 1,500 of them.

The gimbal, as is the case with other components, will need regular maintenance. Rubber bands, gimbal ribbon, but nothing major. Should last for many years.

Reactions: charliesRig
Guys like some of you I'm struggling with this one!!

Agghh.. I got my mavic pro on January and I fell in love with it!
I don't use it as much as I'd like to but when I do is always good times and I've had several cool videos done with it!
I think I could probably sell it with all the toys (case, filters, extra batteries, lenses, etc etc) for around 800 - 900$.
But is the pro 2 really worth it?
Hopefully the price will come down in the future (or there will be some refurbished versions out?)
We'll have to see, as most of you, I think I'll wait for now!

Cheers to all!

Simple question is are you happy with the pro?
Are there any features on it you find limiting or disappointing?

If the answer to the second question is no then why bother upgrading?

For me i badly need a camera upgrade as the MP1 camera i find utterly terrible. The drone itself has everything i need but let down by a camera.

Simple question is are you happy with the pro?
Are there any features on it you find limiting or disappointing?

If the answer to the second question is no then why bother upgrading?

For me i badly need a camera upgrade as the MP1 camera i find utterly terrible. The drone itself has everything i need but let down by a camera.

Honestly I think the camera for Mavic is great!! (at least for my experience)

There are some features I DO love from the new one tho, like the bigger sensor (the fact I can flight night also and still get decent footage)

Some of those new flight modes are pretty cool too! (Timelapse for example)

It kind of bothers me the fact that I fell like DJI is becoming like Apple a little bit in the sense that they might give a new cool flight mode for the mavic air (for example) and not upgrade it also for the mavic pro users!

But hey, what do I know about mass marketing right? xD

Honestly I think the camera for Mavic is great!! (at least for my experience)

Might depend what you use it for. If you're end output format is facebook or youtube its going to be fine.
Anything more or in non ideal conditions it really shows.
Its a 2015 cellphone camera. Dynamic range is awful, images are noisy even at base iso, the sharpness isnt really even across the frame etc. Some people wont notice or care whereas for others its a big issue.
So for me, an upgrade is needed.

Might depend what you use it for. If you're end output format is facebook or youtube its going to be fine.
Anything more or in non ideal conditions it really shows.
Its a 2015 cellphone camera. Dynamic range is awful, images are noisy even at base iso, the sharpness isnt really even across the frame etc. Some people wont notice or care whereas for others its a big issue.
So for me, an upgrade is needed.

Yeah I hear you, I feel like I've had some issues with the grain it adds, but since video is pretty much new to me (I do audio professionally), I'm still learning a bunch of new stuff :)
I'm sure for someone coming from the video world, they'll see a bunch of different settings I haven't even heard yet

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos