DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA - Registration numbers to be required on exterior of aircraft soon (Feb. 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that first hand, I'm just back from a 9 week banishment for saying something pretty bad to a member in a PM. A troll and he started the PM then posted it publicly. Set me up. Bad on me... no bad (they called it vulgar) language....oooops.

@sar104 , you just keep being yourself, You can't teach unteachable students.

I don't get offended, but I do get pretty exasperated by these tactics. These forums are a great resource that gets significantly diluted when people start posting misinformation just to start an argument. Not all misinformation is deliberate, of course, but it generally becomes fairly clear who is here for a real discussion and who is here just to wind others up. I really dislike being the one to give up and say "I'm done with this discussion", in case the bad information prevails, but sometimes you just have to walk away.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
It's obvious that Tcope didn't click all the links in the FAA email links and do any research... I was wondering when someone was going to mention that along with putting the Reg numbers on, you can now fly at night AND over crowds!
It might be because I can read thread titles... at least enough to know we are not talking about that.

Registration numbers to be required on exterior of aircraft soon

What about Canada? Any of these "Commandments for saving planet Earth" apply to me? Do I have to number the moose I painted on the side of it.

OK, now we are getting somewhere... What are those "Several other reasons"?
You accused me of not following the provided link to understand. However, the answer to your question is in _that article_.

Let's just be clear... I mentioned terrorist rigging the drone to blow up. You asked what other reasons.

"Members of the law enforcement and security communities have expressed concern that the current rule, which allows registration numbers to be marked in an enclosed compartment, presents an imminent risk of harm to first responders. "

Could be any risk, not just a bomb. Could be ricin, could gas, could be just about anything. They are trying to protect against anything that could be contained inside of the drone, not just something that explodes.

I'll say, for the record, that I have no problem with anyone's opinions. I have serious problems with misrepresentation of my posts, the use of straw man arguments, and trolling in general.
I think we had the same discussion over the registration. It was something like that. I've stayed 100% on topic, provided credible situations to show how pointless this all is. I've even used _your_ examples to prove this.

Just to make sure is it the certificate number located on my certificate of registration that I put on the Drone?

So I can just see all you guys fussing about putting numbers on your craft....
So you get your way and not have to put the numbers on the outside..... your drone does a fly away, you get a call from the police informing you your drone was found in a park you go to pick it up and find it has a hole it from being shot to check for IED before being approached
And now you are posting a topic saying the police are picking on you because they treated the drone as though it may have an explosive in it.

I have labels (Reg. no., phone, and email) both on the exterior and in the battery compartment. I figure if the exterior labels come off (if it gets lost for an extended period of time somehow) the ones in the battery compartment will be more protected should someone find it. Still seems like a good idea to keep at least your contact info in the battery compartment as a back up.

I have my owner information inside the battery compartment, but I also made folders in the SD card's directory with that information:
mavic_ID_info.png

I saw that new regulation yesterday. Not going to use a Sharpie to mark my FAA registration on the aircraft though, since it will be ugly and may take the paint off when trying to remove it (for selling it for instance later). So using some nice machine printed labels instead ;)

Just recently I had 2 friends 1 who did crash his (Inspire) and the other one crash (1) mavic pro fully modded a eahince race drone. Both had their FAA as well as phone numbers/ addresses printed on those little label maker labels which are "white" can't miss them. All (3) drones are gone, can't find them at all but what we did find where the white labels, which were torn off the drones and left . Which means someone took them, kept them!!

Drones are highly sought after tools and if given the change someone will take them.

So this hole registration on the side of your drone does NOTHING at all. Well maybe the big brother watching over you.

Now that the problems it will cause you.
1.) You crashed your drone and someone was watching or following it. Now it's gone as well as registered to you. While this person is out doing whatever with it. You repeat the problems or wrost the consequences!
2.) It maybe that this drone is never seen again or located. This person is out having fun or whatever and they are never be caught for anything.
3.)They strip down this drone down serial numbers/part number and it is used for bad behavior or other things and no one will ever know who did it!
So again this whole registration things does nothing

Last edited:
Just recently I had 2 friends 1 who did crash his (Inspire) and the other one crash (1) mavic pro fully modded a eahince race drone. Both had their FAA as well as phone numbers/ addresses printed on those little label maker labels which are "white" can't miss them. All (3) drones are gone, can't find them at all but what we did find where the white labels, which were torn off the drones and left . Which means someone took them, kept them!!

Drones are highly sought after tools and if given the change someone will take them.

So this hole registration on the side of your drone does NOTHING at all. Well maybe the big brother watching over you.

Now that the problems it will cause you.
1.) You crashed your drone and someone was watching or following it. Now it's gone as well as registered to you. While this person is out doing whatever with it. You repeat the problems or wrost the consequences!
2.) It maybe that this drone is never seen again or located. This person is out having fun or whatever and they are never be caught for anything.
3.)They strip down this drone down serial numbers/part number and it is used for bad behavior or other things and no one will ever know who did it!
So again this whole registration things does nothing

And now the flip side, instead of fighting up a waterfall for a lost battle .....fliers press FAA to add a section to the registration process to file a lost/stolen drone, (again give-n-take) Using the same reasons and excuse they used for the safety of first responders
A cop checks out an individual flying a drone and when he pulls the number it pops up as lost or stolen and secures your property notifying you that it has been found.
Like a license plate on your car he can check out the drone before confronting the individual. If the number pops up lost/stolen he/she has just cause to take it to the next level
I'm sorry but there are two sides to these equations

And now the flip side, instead of fighting up a waterfall for a lost battle .....fliers press FAA to add a section to the registration process to file a lost/stolen drone, (again give-n-take) Using the same reasons and excuse they used for the safety of first responders
A cop checks out an individual flying a drone and when he pulls the number it pops up as lost or stolen and secures your property notifying you that it has been found.
Like a license plate on your car he can check out the drone before confronting the individual. If the number pops up lost/stolen he/she has just cause to take it to the next level
I'm sorry but there are two sides to these equations
You missed the point!
All the cars look the same and made the same way AND the plates were taken off. No way too know.
1.) It is way easier to strip down a drone then let's say a car, motorcycle, hell even guns.
2.)You have something "a drone" which is very small, can be hidden very easily.
3.) Drone pilot can be very far from them while operation
4.) Trying to use radar, triangulation is almost useless as drones are small have almost plastic body's/parts small foot print AND we have to fly WHERE in the noise floor.
5.) Depending on pilot skill level. While you may see the drone you may never see the pilot. "Deploy and land somewhere else and pickup later. Waypoint missions, cache your videos and pictures. Or here's one for you your mission is complete "crash/destroy" the drone.

Last edited:
I'm seriously amused at all the teeth-gnashing, hand-wringing, and panic over something so stupid. Relax and put the danged numbers on your drones and get on with life! I sit here and think of everything I own that is required to display numbers on the outside (4 vehicles, a 5th wheel trailer, a boat, a UTV, every single one of my guns, 2 houses and 2 mail-boxes and probably other things I'm not thinking of.) and I'm fine with it all. Zero impact on how I use them. Get over yourselves people.

I am registered with the FAA but I am a hobbyist and
WRONG! As of last year ALL sUAS above 255gr are required to be registered either Hobby or Commercial.

This is directly from the FAA's website Register Your Drone

UAS Flown by Recreational Fliers and Modeler Community-Based Organizations (Formerly Section 336)
If you are flying for hobby or recreation only, you must:
  1. Register as a "modeler"
  2. Label your model aircraft with your registration number
In order to register, you must be:
  • 13 years of age or older (if the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the model aircraft)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident*
In order to register, you'll need:
  • Email address
  • Credit or debit card
  • Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)
Register online (must weigh less than 55 pounds).
does it need to be visible on the outside and if so how large is the lettering?

Can you imagine being required to have metal ID tags readable from the ground. I think that this was one of the early recommendations when they were coming up with the original regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS