DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA - Registration numbers to be required on exterior of aircraft soon (Feb. 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, 1 logical reason why you’d not want to let strangers see the number...

Not really, because that number is no use to anyone else. Even if you put someone else's number on your aircraft - what purpose would that serve?

Reactions: AMann
A bad guy might well do that but, when LE looks it up and tries to contact the owner, that will fail and they will then treat it as a threat. That's the entire point of the regulation.

So the registration won't accept any information anyone wants to enter? In other words, I could put all of your information in, create a valid registration number with a real person and stick that on my drone. They could look you up all they want. It is another thing to get ahold of someone right when you are looking at the drone. It was this way before the external requirement, it's that way after. Nothing has changed. It takes me about 10 seconds to figure out many ways around the registration. I'm not that bright. terrorist put countless hours/days/months/years into attacks. I'm sure they can figure these things out.

I don’t recall seeing a font specification. You could consider using the “wingding” font, if you are concerned...

Not really, because that number is no use to anyone else. Even if you put someone else's number on your aircraft - what purpose would that serve?

You only need to see your post above to answer that question. It is because any "terrorist" can simply put your number on their drone that is rigged to explode when the battery is removed. What are first responders going to do now? _If_ they can get ahold of you what are you going to tell them? That is my drone that I used to commit a national crime? Of course you are going to deny that is your drone! It does not matter if it is a valid registration or not. When you run through these scenarios you should see that it is pointless. The only purpose of the registration is to make people feel better about drone use. This is easy to see and has 4 years of proof.

So the registration won't accept any information anyone wants to enter? In other words, I could put all of your information in, create a valid registration number with a real person and stick that on my drone. They could look you up all they want. It is another thing to get ahold of someone right when you are looking at the drone. It was this way before the external requirement, it's that way after. Nothing has changed. It takes me about 10 seconds to figure out many ways around the registration. I'm not that bright. terrorist put countless hours/days/months/years into attacks. I'm sure they can figure these things out.

Okay - follow that line of thought. The bad guy creates a fake registration and puts it on the drone before flying it somewhere. LE finds it, looks up the registration, gets contact information and attempts to verify the drone owner's identity and contact him/her. Just like when they find a suspicious vehicle. That's going to fail - they are not going to be able to make contact with a real, verifiable person who confirms that they own the drone. Unable to rule it out, they treat it as a threat. Again, just like when they find a suspicious vehicle that they cannot verify.

Is this simple concept really so difficult to understand, or are you just arguing for the sake of it?

I'm not that bright.

Don't tempt me.

You only need to see your post above to answer that question. It is because any "terrorist" can simply put your number on their drone that is rigged to explode when the battery is removed. What are first responders going to do now? _If_ they can get ahold of you what are you going to tell them? That is my drone that I used to commit a national crime? Of course you are going to deny that is your drone! It does not matter if it is a valid registration or not. When you run through these scenarios you should see that it is pointless. The only purpose of the registration is to make people feel better about drone use. This is easy to see and has 4 years of proof.

I'm sorry - I just don't have time to explain over and over again how this works. At this point I'm pretty sure that you are just trolling me. You are not that incapable of understanding something this simple.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
It's ALL sUAS including model airplanes etc.
So, I’m confused with all of the back and forth. Does the registration number need to be on the outside of the MPP or is inside battery compartment still ok? Does the change take effect on Feb 25th?

You mentioned reregistering if Part 107 Commercial Use. I’m about to take the 107 test. Will I need to reregister for commercial use or is my registration okay as is? Do I go to Dronezone? I’d like to only label it once

Thanks!!

So, I’m confused with all of the back and forth. Does the registration number need to be on the outside of the MPP

Yes.
or is inside battery compartment still ok?

No.
Does the change take effect on Feb 25th?

Yes.
You mentioned reregistering if Part 107 Commercial Use. I’m about to take the 107 test. Will I need to reregister for commercial use or is my registration okay as is? Do I go to Dronezone? I’d like to only label it once

Thanks!!
If you plan to use it for Part 107 flights then obviously you have to register it on DroneZone under Part 107. Part 101 registration is for recreational flights only, while Part 107 registration covers both. You are only permitted to have one registration number on the aircraft, so if you are flying Part 107 or mixed 101/107 then it needs to be a Part 107 registration number.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

If you plan to use it for Part 107 flights then obviously you have to register it on DroneZone under Part 107. Part 101 registration is for recreational flights only, while Part 107 registration covers both. You are only permitted to have one registration number on the aircraft, so if you are flying Part 107 or mixed 101/107 then it needs to be a Part 107 registration number.
Thanks. That’s how I read it, but lots of discussion with different opinions is confusing. So, I guess I’ll go ahead and register commercially and only have to label it once. Thanks again for the confirmation.

Okay - follow that line of thought. The bad guy creates a fake registration and puts it on the drone before flying it somewhere. LE finds it, looks up the registration, gets contact information and attempts to verify the drone owner's identity and contact him/her. Just like when they find a suspicious vehicle. That's going to fail - they are not going to be able to make contact with a real, verifiable person who confirms that they own the drone. Unable to rule it out, they treat it as a threat. Again, just like when they find a suspicious vehicle that they cannot verify.
Yes... this does further prove my point.

Is this simple concept really so difficult to understand, or are you just arguing for the sake of it?
I don't think you thought about what you posted. In your situation the drone could either be a bomb... or not. How has the external registration changed anything in that situation? Answer... it has not. I seem to recall one of us making that very point.

Last edited:
I am trying to complete the process to order the FAA labels for my drone. After I complete strep 1 I am not seeing where I should go to complete the process and checkout

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 11.25.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 11.25.16 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
I would encourage you all to go to the FAA web site to comment on Rin 2120-al32. Imagine that you are a terrorist and putting a bomb in my drone. But you are law abiding and therefore put your correct registration number on the drone. Does that seem insane to anyone else?

I would encourage you all to go to the FAA web site to comment on Rin 2120-al32. Imagine that you are a terrorist and putting a bomb in my drone. But you are law abiding and therefore put your correct registration number on the drone. Does that seem insane to anyone else?
Not to some people. But I 1) don't think those people have put much thought into how all the different situations actually play out. Once you do this, you see how pointless the registration is and how the claim for the need of the external registration based on a broken registration does nothing and 2) how this simply becomes another rule that solves nothing.

I don't have a huge concern over putting my registration on the outside of my drone. What I am complaining about is this is yet another _failed_ attempt by the FAA which only results in more hoops and hurdles for people who obey the laws. It _DOES NOT_ "protect" first responders. if anything, it can only harm them.

I am trying to complete the process to order the FAA labels for my drone. After I complete strep 1 I am not seeing where I should go to complete the process and checkout

You are on a site that charges $25 for a $5 registration. The official FAA site ends with .gov.

Reactions: cdubNga
I don't think you thought about what you posted. In your situation the drone could either be a bomb... or not. How has the external registration changed anything in that situation? Answer... it has not. I seem to recall one of us making that very point.

I have no idea why I'm still indulging this nonsense, but one final attempt.

The external registration provides a way for LE to confirm that it is not a threat without touching it. You understand how that works, yes? They look up the registration, locate the owner, and verify that it is an innocent (threat-wise) situation. That's probably going to deal with a large proportion of cases, just like with luggage and vehicles. On the other hand, if the marking is fake, or the registered owner cannot be found, or denies knowledge of it, or doesn't check out, then the drone is viewed as a threat and treated accordingly

Without external marking they can't conduct that check without handling it, which they don't want to do, so they will always have to treat it as a threat.

Those cases are different, and the difference is the external registration marking. That is how external registration changes the situation. It potentially rules out threats without having to conduct controlled explosions or use other IED mitigation techniques in every case.

Thanks. That’s how I read it, but lots of discussion with different opinions is confusing. So, I guess I’ll go ahead and register commercially and only have to label it once. Thanks again for the confirmation.

Wait?? Can you register “commercially “ if you don’t have jet 107?

Wait?? Can you register “commercially “ if you don’t have jet 107?

Yes - there is nothing to prevent you from registering an aircraft on the Part 107 dashboard. You don't have to be Part 107 certified to do that, and it is still a valid registration - you can only fly under Part 101 (Section 336) rules though.

Reactions: Lopez0015
Yes - there is nothing to prevent you from registering an aircraft on the Part 107 dashboard. You don't have to be Part 107 certified to do that, and it is still a valid registration - you can only fly under Part 101 (Section 336) rules though.

Only one drone one registration right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa