DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA - Registration numbers to be required on exterior of aircraft soon (Feb. 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we all have opinions and the FAA (an agency of non-elected staffing, I.e., a beaurocracy) has told us how they choose to have their regulation (not a law) of drone registration enforced. No wrong, no right, just fact, viewed by individuals as they will. Still no effect on outcome of the issue. Moderators likely should close this thread, because my opinion, like those of others can’t be changed here.

Why is it different?

The _large_ numbers on a plane are so they can be used to identify the plane from a distance. The FAA wants a number on the outside of a drone because the drone may be rigged to blow up if opened. That is... not even close to being for the same purpose. Several other reasons as well.

So we all have opinions and the FAA (an agency of non-elected staffing, I.e., a beaurocracy) has told us how they choose to have their regulation (not a law) of drone registration enforced. No wrong, no right, just fact, viewed by individuals as they will. Still no effect on outcome of the issue. Moderators likely should close this thread, because my opinion, like those of others can’t be changed here.

Closed... only after you yourself voiced your _opinion_ on the matter?

Personally, I'm pointing out information so that other people can better judge the situation themselves. That is what most of the posts are doing.

Drones dont have an ADS-B or even a transponder. Appreciate the fact that we are still allowed to follow our passion and exercise the freedom to fly.
And the comment about tracking a real aircraft. It will be there only if you fly in the system. You can fly VFR all day long and no one can track you.

Reactions: tleedom
It seems to me the best way to approach this is to remember politics is a game of give and take.... So why not choose your battle, I have no issue putting my ID number on my craft, but since my craft is properly licensed and marked shouldn't that mean that areas that closed to drones on principal alone be instead opened to properly licensed and registered drones.
Like national parks..... What we need guys n gals is a true game plan that is ready for what's coming and be ready to deal, ...... To me putting my numbers on my craft and even having it in a national database is a very small price to pay if it gave to the leverage to fight for an concession to be able to fly even in limited or within limited areas of our parks legally.

Reactions: Thomas B
The _large_ numbers on a plane are so they can be used to identify the plane from a distance. The FAA wants a number on the outside of a drone because the drone may be rigged to blow up if opened. That is... not even close to being for the same purpose. Several other reasons as well.

I would argue that you are simply trying to contrive a difference. At the simplest level the registration markings on anything are to be able to identify the item and owner. That's the case with manned aircraft, and that's the case with sUAS. The order of importance of the reasons for wanting to make identification may vary between aircraft, sUAS, boats, motor vehicles etc., but that doesn't change the primary purpose - identification. And the fact that LE or the FAA may feel that there is a specific scenario in which it is important to be able to identify sUAS to rule out a threat doesn't change that either.

These are on special today half off, just ordered 2 sets. not bad for $3 each

FAA REGISTRATION STICKER BUNDLE

A great option, especially since they will optionally add you name and/or phone number to the sticker. Due to its opacity I use this one inside the battery compartment and on the inside of batteries.

Due clear backing I use the Aerial-Pixel labels (in letter colors to compliment the drone and/or wrap in multiple sizes) on the exterior. There are a lot of options.
Aerial-Pixel - Vinyl Graphics, Vinyl Decals, Apparel, 3D Printing

I would argue that you are simply trying to contrive a difference. At the simplest level the registration markings on anything are to be able to identify the item and owner. That's the case with manned aircraft, and that's the case with sUAS. The order of importance of the reasons for wanting to make identification may vary between aircraft, sUAS, boats, motor vehicles etc., but that doesn't change the primary purpose - identification.
We are not talking about identification nor does this new rule having anything to do with that. The registration that is seperate from this addresses identification.

identification. And the fact that LE or the FAA may feel that there is a specific scenario in which it is important to be able to identify sUAS to rule out a threat doesn't change that either.

We are not talking about identification nor does this new rule having anything to do with that. The registration that is seperate from this addresses identification.

How does this not address identification? Location of registration to aid in identification, whether in a battery compartment or external. This is about placement.

How does this not address identification? Location of registration to aid in identification, whether in a battery compartment or external. This is about placement.

Because affixing the registration number into the drone already identifies it. This new rule does not outline the requirement of registration... it _only_ addresses _where_ that identification needs to be placed. So.... it's about placement... not identification.

Because affixing the registration number into the drone already identifies it. This new rule does not outline the requirement of registration... it _only_ addresses _where_ that identification needs to be placed. So.... it's about placement... not identification.

Correct
Placement of registration "To aid in Identification". Put it on the outside so we can identify hands off.

Correct
Placement of registration "To aid in Identification". Put it on the outside so we can identify hands off.
Which... then leads right into my post.... about how this won't make any real difference.

I think much of this boils down to local law enforcement, search and seizure regs they cannot legally just walk up and pull the battery cover, not without cause, or permission external marking makes it so they do not need to do so, further a drone without the required external markings gives them cause for search and or seizure (we are not talking much about lost drones as one being flown in a park or something like that. With the new laws that allow local enforcement officers involvement they will still need to stay within there own regs.
This all most likely came about from some smart mouths telling cops to get a warrant when asked to see register numbers of the drone
So in essence those with that single finger salute and flippant attitude towards enforcement are more to blame than FAA

I think much of this boils down to local law enforcement, search and seizure regs they cannot legally just walk up and pull the battery cover, not without cause, or permission external marking makes it so they do not need to do so, further a drone without the required external markings gives them cause for search and or seizure (we are not talking much about lost drones as one being flown in a park or something like that.
Why can't they remove the battery? There is nothing preventing them from doing this. It's not like they are walking into your home.

The FAA has been _very_ clear on why they want the reg on the outside. It's so first responders don't need to open the drone (pull the battery) when it's rigged to explode. There is no guessing about why they added this rule.

Has anyone found a definitive FAA requirement pertaining to size or physical description of the registration number for the outside of the sUAS?
I thought I may as well just use the Brother label maker I have and get it over with. The label itself is so light the added milligram would make no difference as to overall weight!

Reactions: BigAl07
Has anyone found a definitive FAA requirement pertaining to size or physical description of the registration number for the outside of the sUAS?
I thought I may as well just use the Brother label maker I have and get it over with. The label itself is so light the added milligram would make no difference as to overall weight!

As of right now they are only stating external and legible. Pretty broad allowance IMHO

I also seen reading over at the AMA website for AMA members.

Q: Do I need to list both my AMA number and my federal registration number on my aircraft?
A: Yes, you need to list both your AMA number and Federal registration number on your aircraft

Which... then leads right into my post.... about how this won't make any real difference.

Yes - you do keep saying that, but if you are trying to argue that it makes no difference whether it is on the outside or inside then the specific reason discussed above clearly invalidates that argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser