DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA - Registration numbers to be required on exterior of aircraft soon (Feb. 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can still fly that drone for fun but while not clarified in such words I would log(declare) the day and UAV number for hobby/fun before flying since by 107 rules you must keep flight logs anyway.
Most commercial insurance will not cover hobby use unless specifically written in and no hobby insurance will cover commercial use............
And this is one of the reasons I said if your not going to be flying commercial operations don't get a 107

What reg requires logs for Part 107? I keep logs, but I’ve never seen any such requirement.

As far as not getting a 107, that might be fine for some places but in many metro areas it’s virtually impossible to fly without one due to the 5-mile rule and inability to access LAANC.

@Maviac you are correct.

Part 107 (as of right now) does NOT require logs to be kept. Section 333 did but that was removed with Part 107 in August 2016.

Keeping logs is a GREAT idea and highly suggested but not required by the FAA.

I have one client that required me to submit my logs from the last 12 months prior to approving me as a pilot for them but again that's not an FAA requirement (right now).

Reactions: Maviac and JSKCKNIT
I know a lot of you have already seen or purchased our FAA Decals, but here they are again Aerial-Pixel FAA Decals.
In addition to the 8 decals shown below we now include two 1.75" decals for the smaller aircraft like the Mavic Air and Spark.

Last edited:
I know a lot of you have already seen or purchased our FAA Decals, but here they are again Aerial-Pixel FAA Decals.
In addition to the 8 decals shown below we now include two 1.75" decals for the smaller aircraft like the Mavic Air and Spark.

Do you also offer a WHITE label for putting them on darker aircraft? I use white ones on my Carbon Fiber components of some of my aircraft and I'm sure some people would want to use white as well.

Do you also offer a WHITE label for putting them on darker aircraft? I use white ones on my Carbon Fiber components of some of my aircraft and I'm sure some people would want to use white as well.
Yes, we offer them in 7 colors, white included.

Reactions: BigAl07
Wow, @Aerial-Pixel! I wish I knew about y'all sooner! I've been looking for something that looks better than what came out from my label maker! :D

Reactions: Aerial-Pixel
Is what I used when we first had to have them and could see it good on the phantoms but a friend here
has one of those label guns and sent me a dozen like this and have had them on the out side all along.
Stick good and just have them on the inside of the arms on the Mavics .
View attachment 62836
Is what I used when we first had to have them and could see it good on the phantoms but a friend here
has one of those label guns and sent me a dozen like this and have had them on the out side all along.
Stick good and just have them on the inside of the arms on the Mavics .
View attachment 62836
I don't think this is a big deal at all. I simply used a P-Touch Labeling Machine, and made two, to be symmetrical. I put more personal details on similar p-touch labels inside the battery compartment, and labeled each battery, too.

I kinda like the way it looks, but maybe that's just me.

Attachments

• 20190213_131957.jpg
    20190213_131957.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 79
I have been working on some hydrographic dips for my drone shells can you match a pattern for a battery shaped decal or do you do just letters
I do all types of vinyl graphics, anything you need. Here are just a few of my other products to give you an idea:

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and pvs
Let's stop this from happening!
Go make your voice heard!
Leave your comment at
Regulations.gov
and let them know to keep the existing regulation, where the registration tag may be set inside the battery compartment, as long as no tools are required to reach it.

Reactions: STUFF2C and sea157
Let's stop this from happening!
Go make your voice heard!
Leave your comment at
Regulations.gov
and let them know to keep the existing regulation, where the registration tag may be set inside the battery compartment, as long as no tools are required to reach it.

It needs to be on the outside of the aircraft. Why does having a small label on the outside cause such uproar?

Plus if the powers to be want this to be law (and they do) it doesn't matter how many signatures are against it in the end it will remain law.

Reactions: BigAl07
It needs to be on the outside of the aircraft. Why does having a small label on the outside cause such uproar?

Plus if the powers to be want this to be law (and they do) it doesn't matter how many signatures are against it in the end it will remain law.

Let me answer that question and then explain....

It matters because it serves no real purpose and then could only be used against people, unfairly. It's like having the speed limit drop from 45mph to 10mph within a few feet. Unreasonable and serves no purpose. You could argue, simply slow down. But that is not the point.

To explain this...

The _only_ way this makes a difference is when there is not registration on the outside .

So a person needs to have flown illegally and the FAA now has the drone (which almost never happens... pretty much never). The person who flew the drone illegally and lost it puts there reg on the outside of the drone? Highly unlikely. But hey, it could happen. But problem solved. They should _still_ not remove the battery as this does not prove it is not a bomb.

So let's address the situation I first mentioned... drone flown illegally, obtained and no reg number on the outside. They then should treat it as a bomb. Eventually though, they will still need to remove the battery.

When you run though all of the situations, if a drone could be rigged to blow, they should _never_ just remove the battery and _ALWAYS_ treat it as a bomb. This is just a fact (according to the FAA's need for external reg numbers).

So... an external reg number _only_ helps when it is there and the FAA can match is up with a person and does not need to keep the drone or remove the battery.

How many times has the FAA even used the registration to match an illegally flown drone to the owner? NEVER! So this extra step is going to make some difference? Nope. What is _could_ actually do is result in fines to anyone who simply forgot to put the sticker on the outside or even if the sticker fell off.

Reactions: Andrew F

These are inexpensive, adhere to skins if you have one, and come in an array of colors so you can have it clearly seen or blended with drone color. I also still use a different type internally under the battery that has my phone number on it.

It’s the law. If we comply now drone pilots and aircraft hopefully will pass from the recent increased scrutiny before some really onerous rules are made.

Let me answer that question and then explain....

It matters because it serves no real purpose and then could only be used against people, unfairly. It's like having the speed limit drop from 45mph to 10mph within a few feet. Unreasonable and serves no purpose. You could argue, simply slow down. But that is not the point.

To explain this...

The _only_ way this makes a difference is when there is not registration on the outside .

So a person needs to have flown illegally and the FAA now has the drone (which almost never happens... pretty much never). The person who flew the drone illegally and lost it puts there reg on the outside of the drone? Highly unlikely. But hey, it could happen. But problem solved. They should _still_ not remove the battery as this does not prove it is not a bomb.

So let's address the situation I first mentioned... drone flown illegally, obtained and no reg number on the outside. They then should treat it as a bomb. Eventually though, they will still need to remove the battery.

When you run though all of the situations, if a drone could be rigged to blow, they should _never_ just remove the battery and _ALWAYS_ treat it as a bomb. This is just a fact (according to the FAA's need for external reg numbers).

So... an external reg number _only_ helps when it is there and the FAA can match is up with a person and does not need to keep the drone or remove the battery.

How many times has the FAA even used the registration to match an illegally flown drone to the owner? NEVER! So this extra step is going to make some difference? Nope. What is _could_ actually do is result in fines to anyone who simply forgot to put the sticker on the outside or even if the sticker fell off.

One concern I have is government adoption of the inflight capture devices if people don’t comply. We license our cars, register our guns, and even our bicycles, etc... it’s easy. Just do it. If we don’t drone hobbyists will be targeted.

I do fault DJI for not clearly making the FAA registration website URL visible to the purchaser in or on the package. I only accidentally discovered the need to register at all.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada