DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA - Registration numbers to be required on exterior of aircraft soon (Feb. 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s the law. If we comply now drone pilots and aircraft hopefully will pass from the recent increased scrutiny before some really onerous rules are made.
Seriously?

Section 336 created in which Congress tells FAA, hands off hobby flight. FAA creates registration again hobby users. Complete BS law. Congress revamps Section 336 and creates further rules against hobby flight. FAA then adds this rule against hobby flight. Yes... maybe is we comply _this_ time, yet again, there will be no more rules against us. I mean, that what has happened over the past 7 years after all.

I dont understand the nay sayers. Every aircraft has its tail # prominently displayed....
I have been flying for 20 years (real plane) and have never been bothered by anyone.
That is not even close to the same thing. Different purpose and different all together.

Extra sharp number 2 pencil... annnnd... done

I dont understand the nay sayers. Every aircraft has its tail # prominently displayed....
I have been flying for 20 years (real plane) and have never been bothered by anyone.

And unless you opt out, Flightaware and other websites can show you in the air in almost real time .

Some aircraft owners request that their data not be shown. FOr example the N E Patriots team planes ( N36NE being one) is requested to be hidden from the public

Alan Jackson's plane ( N117AJ) is also on no track status.

This is absurd, more government over reach. Law enforcement is concerned the drone may be “booby trapped” if looking for a registration number? Terrorist are going to register a drone? Are you f...ing kidding me?

Reactions: grendeljaeger
This is absurd, more government over reach. Law enforcement is concerned the drone may be “booby trapped” if looking for a registration number? Terrorist are going to register a drone? Are you f...ing kidding me?

It's not absurd - you simply completely missed the point. No - a terrorist will likely not register a drone. The scenario of concern in that respect is a drone found by LE, perhaps in a sensitive location. If the registration is visible they can look it up and attempt to contact the owner without touching the drone, hopefully confirming that it is not a threat. If the registration is not visible they can't do that without handling it, for example to remove the battery, meaning that they will treat it as an unidentified suspicious object. It's analogous to labeling your luggage.

It's not absurd - you simply completely missed the point. No - a terrorist will likely not register a drone. The scenario of concern in that respect is a drone found by LE, perhaps in a sensitive location. If the registration is visible they can look it up and attempt to contact the owner without touching the drone, hopefully confirming that it is not a threat. If the registration is not visible they can't do that without handling it, for example to remove the battery, meaning that they will treat it as an unidentified suspicious object. It's analogous to labeling your luggage.

Not absurd in the least, have you ever spent a day in the Middle East or North Africa? They’d get a real kick out of your naive response.

Let's stop this from happening!
Go make your voice heard!
Leave your comment at
Regulations.gov
and let them know to keep the existing regulation, where the registration tag may be set inside the battery compartment, as long as no tools are required to reach it.

I fail to understand your hesitancy to putting your FAA registration number on the outer surface of the drone. What possible reason (besides not actually having a registration number) could there be to hide it in the battery compartment?

The reason the FAA wants it on the outside of the drone is so that law enforcement can quickly assess if a drone pilot is flying with an unregistered drone (or an unregistered pilot). Good idea, because the people skirting the law are only making drone life more difficult for everyone else. We are getting these rules because of people that don't have common sense and shouldn't own a drone in the first place.

I think having the FAA number on the drone looks kinda cool.

I am going to leave a comment at your link, however. To tell the FAA that it's a great idea and that there should be a minimum size for the characters stipulated in the rule. :)

Mark

Reactions: NetDep
I see it coming soon we will have rules like the height in which one must travel to one side or another we are following the same course of the aircraft rules and I believe And with the arrival of the 5G Soon we will have to use an application in which it will show our location in Real time

Was that response just an attempt to avoid trying to make an actual point?
The point is you’re falling for a bogus issue that resides outside the realm of reality. You’re under some misguided impression criminals operate within your rules and dictate. You think terrorist aren’t going to use your rules and regulations against you. You think by saddling law abiding citizens with law after law after law crime will magically disappear. You think people who refuse to register with the government any personal possessions are hiding something. You should really give your argument some more thought.

One concern I have is government adoption of the inflight capture devices if people don’t comply. We license our cars, register our guns, and even our bicycles, etc... it’s easy. Just do it. If we don’t drone hobbyists will be targeted.

I do fault DJI for not clearly making the FAA registration website URL visible to the purchaser in or on the package. I only accidentally discovered the need to register at all.

“Just Do it” Really??

And unless you opt out, Flightaware and other websites can show you in the air in almost real time .

Some aircraft owners request that their data not be shown. FOr example the N E Patriots team planes ( N36NE being one) is requested to be hidden from the public

Alan Jackson's plane ( N117AJ) is also on no track status.

Depending on location etc there could be a delay of several minutes.

If you happen to be in Europe your odds are greatly increased but in the US of A those numbers are significantly diminished.
Flightradar24 - Wikipedia

Just a portion:
Currently, about 65% of aircraft in Europe are equipped with ADS-B but only 35% in the US.

Here's a great link on FlightRadar24 with most likely more current information than my other link above:
How it works - Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!

I fail to understand your hesitancy to putting your FAA registration number on the outer surface of the drone. What possible reason (besides not actually having a registration number) could there be to hide it in the battery compartment?

The reason the FAA wants it on the outside of the drone is so that law enforcement can quickly assess if a drone pilot is flying with an unregistered drone (or an unregistered pilot). Good idea, because the people skirting the law are only making drone life more difficult for everyone else. We are getting these rules because of people that don't have common sense and shouldn't own a drone in the first place.

I am going to leave a comment at your link, however. To tell the FAA that it's a great idea and that there should be a minimum size for the characters stipulated in the rule. :)

Mark

Mark

If someone told you to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge, would you do it without “hesitancy”?

The point is you’re falling for a bogus issue that resides outside the realm of reality. You’re under some misguided impression criminals operate within your rules and dictate. You think terrorist aren’t going to use your rules and regulations against you. You think by saddling law abiding citizens with law after law after law crime will magically disappear. You think people who refuse to register with the government any personal possessions are hiding something. You should really give your argument some more thought.

The irony is almost painful. I made a cogent argument, while you, on the other hand, have now posted two paragraphs of meaningless drivel in response. You didn't address anything I wrote, let alone attempt to explain why you think it was wrong. While it's possible that you really don't understand at all, I suspect it's far more likely that you just have no way to argue with something that doesn't fit your "government overreach" dogma. And continuing to blather on about criminals and terrorists not following rules, when the issue doesn't depend on whether they do or not, is just a transparent attempt to obfuscate.

Not absurd in the least, have you ever spent a day in the Middle East or North Africa? They’d get a real kick out of your naive response.

I have (in country time measured in years) and and your point is???

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50