DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA - Registration numbers to be required on exterior of aircraft soon (Feb. 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also seen reading over at the AMA website for AMA members.

Q: Do I need to list both my AMA number and my federal registration number on my aircraft?
A: Yes, you need to list both your AMA number and Federal registration number on your aircraft

Yes....
AMA# to be in compliance with AMA guidelines
FAA Reg# to be in compliance with FAA

I've got my AMA# on my "If found ..." label

Yes - you do keep saying that, but if you are trying to argue that it makes no difference whether it is on the outside or inside then the specific reason discussed above clearly invalidates that argument.
All 79 posts.. or just some of them? I guess no one can argue with that... since it's so general and incorrect. For example, my reasons are discussed above. They don't invalidate my argument.

All 79 posts.. or just some of them?

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

I guess no one can argue with that... since it's so general and incorrect. For example, my reasons are discussed above. They don't invalidate my argument.

Quite aside from the general principle that registration numbers on vessels are on the outside and visible, how does a specific, operational reason for the FAA requiring them to be on the outside not invalidate your argument repeated assertion that it makes no difference? It trivially obviously makes a difference and no amount of pretending not to understand changes that.

Has anyone raised the question as to what to do with these markings if we decide to sell the AC?

Reactions: Thomas B
Has anyone raised the question as to what to do with these markings if we decide to sell the AC?

You remove them.... if label remove... if more perm just paint/scratch over it.

Mine has always been on the outside but the vinyl lettering I chose is nearly the same color as the bird:

View attachment 63004
It's on the outside and visible. BING!!! You meet the requirements. I like it, it looks as if the bird came with it.

Does anyone have more information on the mentions of "night flying" and "over people" from the email received? The links in the email just drop to the FAA home page, and all of my searches have just turned up the rules that were already in place around these. I see no mention of these other proposed changes either.

Does anyone have more information on the mentions of "night flying" and "over people" from the email received? The links in the email just drop to the FAA home page, and all of my searches have just turned up the rules that were already in place around these. I see no mention of these other proposed changes either.
You thought the FAA had their [Moderator Removed] together? Nope.... create regulations, give people 10 days notice, then hold hearings to see if they will work... and don't bother explaining anything in any kind of details.

Last edited by a moderator:

The registration rule change is an interim rule, and takes effect later this month. The flying over people and flying at night ones are proposed rule changes, and will go through the public comment phase before being introduced. There are full details in the link in the email - I don't know why that didn't work for you.

I am sure there are fliers here who have served our country.
In a terrorist attack one of the known principal targets is first responders.
As a previous poster commented any time a suspicious object is being approached it will be to treated as though it is in fact an IED. Still having as much information as possible before approaching an unknown craft can't hurt and may help.
We all have our own opinions but the simple fact is like driving a car or flying a plane is not a right but a privilege the same applies to these drones. And yes just as driving a dirt bike or 4wheeler or snow mobile isn't a right but a privilege
Just like we are required to mark, title, and register many of the above and in some states (U.S) all of them. We will have to do the same with these drones and follow the regs for placement and visibility.
To me it's not a big deal but I can respect others views and difference in opinion

Whole post was well said.

In a terrorist attack one of the known principal targets is first responders.
With toy drones and airplanes? Toy airplanes have been around for how long? How many times have they been used in terrorist attacks? But this is all besides the point. Think about this for a moment.... in an actual terrorist attack is the person going to put their actual registration number on the outside (or even inside) of the drone? Nope. When a drone with a bomb strapped to it does not blow up, does not dive into a mass of people and simply crashes or lands should first responders think it should not be rigged to blow up?

If you really have first responders safety in mind you should give them a rule #1.... treat every drone as a bomb. If someone has told you that a registration number on the outside makes a drone safe, they are giving you _bad_ advice. A terrorist the rigs a drone to blow up when the battery is removed in order to hurt first responders is simply going to pay the $5, put in bogus contact information and then stick the registration number on the outside of the drone. The registration is designed to catch honest people... nothing more.... and it is piss poor at even that.

What I'm asking is for people to simply run through the different possibilities and I think you will see that this is yet another "feel good" rule from the FAA. It accomplishing NOTHING (again).

The registration is pointless. It accomplishes nothing. I've said that all along and I've never been proven wrong in 4 years! The data/facts are there.

This is how we end up with a whole book of laws/rules that do nothing but serve to fine/tax and prevent honest people from enjoying themselves with a simply hobby.

Everyone has 10 days to do this or face fines. After we make the rule, we will ask people for input. Typical FAA move. Even if millions of people write in with legit reasons why the rule makes no sense and actually could do harm to those that it means to protect... the FAA won't change a thing. I doubt anyone is actually going to read all those responses.

I think it’s a good idea and already marked mine on the outside since day 1 with a sharpie. I can see FAA’s concerns about this, especially for wayward drones that land in sensitive places. It’s worth tagging it with your registration number and contact info on the outside. Else, someone who finds it without markings may be more likely to keep it, or maybe even likely to disrupt it (as in UXO disruptor) if they think it’s suspicious because it went down in a crowded area.
This is a RIDICULOUS requirement. Don't you think a "bad guy" would just create a false registration? Just another example of fear dominating logic and causing extra work for law abiding types. And it looks so ugly having the stickers! Haha.

Reactions: dawgpilot
This is a RIDICULOUS requirement. Don't you think a "bad guy" would just create a false registration? Just another example of fear dominating logic and causing extra work for law abiding types. And it looks so ugly having the stickers! Haha.

A bad guy might well do that but, when LE looks it up and tries to contact the owner, that will fail and they will then treat it as a threat. That's the entire point of the regulation.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard

I can’t think of a single logical reason why someone (who flies legally) would not want to put their personal contact number and registration number on their drone.

Last edited:
I was thinking [emoji848] What if someone still ( or copy ) you FAA number and commit a crime ,this sure be so easy since FAA don’t ask for serial/N

I was thinking [emoji848] What if someone still ( or copy ) you FAA number and commit a crime ,this sure be so easy since FAA don’t ask for serial/N

Ok, 1 logical reason why you’d not want to let strangers see the number...

Reactions: Andrew F
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998