DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA - Registration numbers to be required on exterior of aircraft soon (Feb. 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maviac

Reactions
Last edited:
from those new regulations on the pdf it says:
Small unmanned aircraft owners are no longer permitted to enclose the FAA-issued registration number in a compartment.

So the battery compartment is out of the picture now. I got myself one of those Sharpies in gold and wrote the number in block letter alongside the drone on both sides just below the battery. I also included my e-mail address right under that, just in case I were to lose my drone and someone was nice enough to return it to me.

Small unmanned aircraft owners are no longer permitted to enclose the FAA-issued registration number in a compartment.

So the battery compartment is out of the picture now. I got myself one of those Sharpies in gold and wrote the number in block letter alongside the drone on both sides just below the battery. I also included my e-mail address right under that, just in case I were to lose my drone and someone was nice enough to return it to me.

I have labels (Reg. no., phone, and email) both on the exterior and in the battery compartment. I figure if the exterior labels come off (if it gets lost for an extended period of time somehow) the ones in the battery compartment will be more protected should someone find it. Still seems like a good idea to keep at least your contact info in the battery compartment as a back up.

Capture.JPG

Didn't read anything about a size requirement

Reactions: grendeljaeger
I think it’s a good idea and already marked mine on the outside since day 1 with a sharpie. I can see FAA’s concerns about this, especially for wayward drones that land in sensitive places. It’s worth tagging it with your registration number and contact info on the outside. Else, someone who finds it without markings may be more likely to keep it, or maybe even likely to disrupt it (as in UXO disruptor) if they think it’s suspicious because it went down in a crowded area.

I guess the uglier you make it, the more likely they are to return it ;)

Didn't read anything about a size requirement
FAA registration is by weight and not size. So the FAA requires drones weighing .55 pounds and up to have a reg #. This would include all DJI branded drone's.

I think it’s a good idea and already marked mine on the outside since day 1 with a sharpie. I can see FAA’s concerns about this, especially for wayward drones that land in sensitive places. It’s worth tagging it with your registration number and contact info on the outside. Else, someone who finds it without markings may be more likely to keep it, or maybe even likely to disrupt it (as in UXO disruptor) if they think it’s suspicious because it went down in a crowded area.
Is what I used when we first had to have them and could see it good on the phantoms but a friend here
has one of those label guns and sent me a dozen like this and have had them on the out side all along.
Stick good and just have them on the inside of the arms on the Mavics .
IMG_2539.jpeg

FAA registration is by weight and not size. So the FAA requires drones weighing .55 pounds and up to have a reg #. This would include all DJI branded drone's.

Yes sir, thank you... But I was referring to the size of the registration number

Reactions: bobj151
Just about to put a skin on my Mavic 2 Pro later this week - going to be getting a Part 107 registration so my # will change.... so, broke down and dropped $8 on the label set from ReclaimDrone so I can just order a new set a bit later once I have a Part 107 registration specific for the MV2P and slap it on top - was going to come up with something that had my phone # and "Reward if Found" anyway..... I mean what $8 (and another $8) later when I'm still ordering accessories left and right :cool:

Just about to put a skin on my Mavic 2 Pro later this week - going to be getting a Part 107 registration so my # will change.... so, broke down and dropped $8 on the label set from ReclaimDrone so I can just order a new set a bit later once I have a Part 107 registration specific for the MV2P and slap it on top - was going to come up with something that had my phone # and "Reward if Found" anyway..... I mean what $8 (and another $8) later when I'm still ordering accessories left and right :cool:

Why not go ahead and register Commercially NOW and only buy the #'s one time? You can fly a Commercially Registered drone for HOBBY you just an NOT fly a Hobby Registration on a Commercial flight.

so the reason that it has not been published in FAA Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) section on FAA webpage is because it is an unpublished Rule by the Federal Aviation Administration .. we'll see tomorrow what's up

I'm not a lawyer nor an English teacher.

hobbyists according to the current public faa website are not REQUIRED to register aircraft

Hobbyists are ENCOURAGED to label their personal (not aircraft) registration on their aircraft. Note the lack of a REQUIREMENT

only Part 107 are you REQUIRED to register your AIRCRAFT...which results in a registration number for the aircraft..

you can't put an AIRCRAFT registration number that you do not have as a hobbyist

Reactions: TR Ganey
I'm not a lawyer nor an English teacher.

hobbyists according to the current public faa website are not REQUIRED to register aircraft

Hobbyists are ENCOURAGED to label their personal (not aircraft) registration on their aircraft. Note the lack of a REQUIREMENT

only Part 107 are you REQUIRED to register your AIRCRAFT...which results in a registration number for the aircraft..

you can't put an AIRCRAFT registration number that you do not have as a hobbyist

WRONG! As of last year ALL sUAS above 255gr are required to be registered either Hobby or Commercial.

This is directly from the FAA's website Register Your Drone

UAS Flown by Recreational Fliers and Modeler Community-Based Organizations (Formerly Section 336)
If you are flying for hobby or recreation only, you must:
  1. Register as a "modeler"
  2. Label your model aircraft with your registration number
In order to register, you must be:
  • 13 years of age or older (if the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the model aircraft)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident*
In order to register, you'll need:
  • Email address
  • Credit or debit card
  • Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)
Register online (must weigh less than 55 pounds).

Hobby Fliers only have one Register number that they mark all owned UAV with
Commercial Flier must register Each
UAV and Each one will have its own unique number
You can still fly that drone for fun but while not clarified in such words I would log(declare) the day and UAV number for hobby/fun before flying since by 107 rules you must keep flight logs anyway. So as an example flight log declare
2/13/19 07:00 (local) Tyler,TX, Scott's Farm GPS Location, Fun Fly Hobby Use, UAV number xxxxxx and xxxxxx
2/13/19 14:00 (local) Tyler, TX UAV number xxxxxx and xxxxxx end hobby use. No incidents to declare

Not only will this help you in the event of an audit in the future by keeping clear professional logs that will give a good first impression. But in the event of an accident it will cover you if you are an AMA member trying to file a claim with/for the hobbyist insurance
Most commercial insurance will not cover hobby use unless specifically written in and no hobby insurance will cover commercial use............
And this is one of the reasons I said if your not going to be flying commercial operations don't get a 107

As too labels that isn't a big deal get a sheet of water transfer paper and print your own you can size/scale them for your need and even match your color pattern

Just read Federal Register :: Public Inspection: External Marking Requirement for Small Unmanned Aircraft
It says nothing about the physical properties of the external marking.

I live in Germany and the German Law requires an external marking of every model airplane including drones with a FIREPROOF sign.

It's not for that first responders safety issue but more for liability reasons in case of an accident and to be able to find the owner of a lost sUAS.

So the sign has to be made of metal and has laser engraved text. It may be very tiny and can therefore be barely legible.

This in turn brings up a new issue on drones:
Where to place the sign without interfering with the electronic parts under the surface (GPS, RC Antenna and similar sensitive places).

This led up to an information from DJI.
The German rule does not enforce immediate external visibility.
Therefore some recommended locations doe not apply for the US rule. Like the hidden position behind the gimbal for the mavic air.

Here's a link to a page, that - although in German - should show what DJI recommends.

DJI placement recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty