DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA - Registration numbers to be required on exterior of aircraft soon (Feb. 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I printed out a dozen of my FAA Reg # with my computer in size 8 Arial font on regular printer paper
When trimmed down the entire number is 3/4 inch long and 3/32 inch tall
I attached it to my aircraft with Scotch tape in an inconspicuous spot.
It is virtually invisible unless you pick the it up and look for it.
But, following the new FAA guidelines, it meets their requirements.
:cool:Thumbswayup

I am registered with the FAA but I am a hobbyist and

does it need to be visible on the outside and if so how large is the lettering?

It merely has to be visible externally and they have no mandate for size other than being legible.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
For those that haven't seen the new graphic from the FAA:
FAA How To Label Your Drone.jpg

Reactions: BigAl07
For those that haven't seen the new graphic from the FAA:
View attachment 63370
1550519832581.jpeg
See the note lower left above the numbers.... Confirms that for drones only 1 number is needed, not a unique number for each drone. FAA really just wants to be able to find you.

Note the differences in part 366 and part 107 number registration:

Hobby/Recreational ~ 1 Registration # (operator is registered not aircraft) and the same one can go on ALL of your hobby aircraft

Commercial/P107/Public Use ~ 1 unique FAA registration # per aircraft. Each aircraft is registered

Last edited:
I have my owner information inside the battery compartment, but I also made folders in the SD card's directory with that information:
View attachment 63136
This is a good practice too. I also keep a copy of the registration on my SD card in my CrystalSky and my Smart Controller in PDF format as you are also required to have a copy of the Registration Certificate with you while flying. That way if asked I can pull up the registration right on my mobile device.
Capture.JPG

Reactions: tleedom
Noticed the wording and list above: This is a good practice too. I also keep a copy of the registration on my SD card in my CrystalSky and my Smart Controller in PDF format as you are also required to have a copy of the Registration Certificate with you while flying. That way if asked I can pull up the registration right on my mobile device.
View attachment 63374
See the note lower left above the numbers.... Confirms that for drones only 1 number is needed, not a unique number for each drone. FAA really just wants to be able to find you.
1550520376355.jpeg
Note that only one FAA number is needed for all your drones.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Note arhat only one FAA number is needed for all your drones.
Flying under Part 336 as a hobbyist you only need one registration number. If you you are flying commercially under Part 107 each of your drones need to be registered and have a unique registration number.

Reactions: Thomas B
If you are interested in a label printer I _highly_ recommend the Brother P3008BT. I've owned countless printers before this one and there is no comparison. The P3008 is bluetooth. So you just use the app on a smartphone to create/style the label and send it to the printer. It is so much easier than trying to use those small LCD screens on the printers themselves. I use weather resistant labels that have some type of plastic coating on the outside.

Use it to label remotes, cables, chargers, batteries... oh, and drones. This way the FAA can use the registry to match all of those drones they flying illegally with the owners.

If you are interested in a label printer I _highly_ recommend the Brother P3008BT. I've owned countless printers before this one and there is no comparison. The P3008 is bluetooth. So you just use the app on a smartphone to create/style the label and send it to the printer. It is so much easier than trying to use those small LCD screens on the printers themselves. I use weather resistant labels that have some type of plastic coating on the outside.

Use it to label remotes, cables, chargers, batteries... oh, and drones. This way the FAA can use the registry to match all of those drones they flying illegally with the owners.

AGAIN... I don't know what you mean?

I really don't get it. I bought a drone a couple years ago and registered it immediately Because that was the "Rule" at the time, then it wasn't a rule and then it was since Dec 2018. Is there anyone out there that thinks a Registration tag might just cover you in the case of a "situation" where you are innocent? Only people that don't like this rule might be hiding something they did or are planning to do. JUST My Opinion!

Reactions: tleedom and BigAl07
Just a quick question... when looking at the graphic... is there a reason for the word “permanent” when talking about labels and markers? Are they trying to say it can’t be a label that could be peeled off? Seems odd to say permanent label. Not even sure how a label could be permanent? Just curious...

Noticed the wording and list above: This is a good practice too. I also keep a copy of the registration on my SD card in my CrystalSky and my Smart Controller in PDF format as you are also required to have a copy of the Registration Certificate with you while flying. That way if asked I can pull up the registration right on my mobile device.

View attachment 63375
Note that only one FAA number is needed for all your drones.

I just carry the FAA card and had my MP1 labeled within an hour of Registration.. yeah I'm a boy scout.

Reactions: Thomas B

I also had a tattoo of my Reg number on my forearm.

Just a quick question... when looking at the graphic... is there a reason for the word “permanent” when talking about labels and markers? Are they trying to say it can’t be a label that could be peeled off? Seems odd to say permanent label. Not even sure how a label could be permanent? Just curious...

I think it was a reference to scribbling the FAA # with a Sharpie or other "Permanent" marker. If you ever sell it, it's easier to just pull some stickers off.

It might be because I can read thread titles... at least enough to know we are not talking about that.

Registration numbers to be required on exterior of aircraft soon

That's nice, but there were other links to more information in the OP's post besides just labels, such as night flying and flying over crowds (crazy, is it a trap?).

"I can read thread titles... at least enough to know we are not talking about that."

Reading titles isn't doing research.

AND, it's important, We won't have anymore Dumb posts arguing whether you can fly at night or over crowds

Ok gang.... let's not get personal AT ALL! Debate with respect to your heart's content but don't get personal.... PERIOD!!

Back on topic or just don't post at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett