DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use a Tablet? Well... Maybe not.

why ask a question if you already have the answer?
I have AN answer, just checking to see if it is THE answer. So far it looks like my phone the best option.

If you have a big phone - then why would you want / need a tablet that is only marginally larger? Most of us who went to a tablet don't carry a honking monstrosity of a phone like you seem to have. Mine is maybe half the size of yours, so going to a tablet was a no brainer. My Lenovo M10 FHD fill that box quite will. It does not have the "nits" like a Triptek, but it didn't cost me an arm and a leg either. As a rec flyer - it would be "nice" to have a bright Triptek, but when I do a cost analysis - the Lenovo wins for me. Maybe not for you or anyone else - that is a decision YOU have to make. If I was a 107 / commercial / business pilot - then sure the Triptek would be winner.

BTW - I think you're phone costs well over $1k, yet it is also a phone and does all those cool things I don't need or want - but again - you pay the big bucks for those toys, not me. And when the 22 or whatever new model comes out - you'll probably be on that train to have to get it too.
I paid FAR less than MSRP for my phone thanks to pre-ordering and some sweet deals. I'm more of an every other model guy, so maybe the S23!

Why not try adding a hood/sun shade to your phone? Significantly cheaper than going for a very expensive high brightness screen.

Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
Hoodman Aviator hood has been my answer. Used with my iPad 9.7” makes for a fairly compact traveling package, with an image field bright and clear even in the brightest sun.

REFFSTUFF, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0", SM-T290NZKAXAR with my Air 2S and I'm pleased with it. I'd been relying on a Galaxy S10. phone. The added screen size is wonderful.

The Tab A lacks a compass and GPS, but I've not found that to be a serious issue. The primary limitation is not seeing the controller location on the map. (GPS-like location services are available if you have a wifi connection.) The primary advantage is the low cost - $100 on Amazon. The screen is very sharp and comparable to the iPad's brightness. Neither does well in bright sun, but it's usually workable to hold it in your own shadow.
I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A, but could not get the DJI Fly software to load. Bummer. I was looking forward to giving it a try.

more enjoyable experience using a larger screen period with the proper tablet /controller holder,its a night and day difference as everything is larger, especially for us with aging eyes and tinhorn flyers with very limited stick time. . other than that not rightly sure what you're asking here, but the tablet is the only way to go as far as Im concerned, the smart controller is a waste of money IMO and much rather have a tablet over anything else

Reactions: Mtnrider
I've been searching here and elsewhere trying to find an answer to my question. If I want to use a tablet instead of my phone for my Air 2S, what gets me anywhere close to similar performance just in that larger form factor of a bigger screen? And the answer I come up with is NOTHING.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra w/512GB.

Seems like everyone is settling for "this tablet works okay" or an iPad (which blah blah blah .... NO, NEVER).
Compatibility lists haven't been updated in ages...

Seriously... What Android tablet actually gets the job done with overhead?
Even though it appears you might just want to validate your S21, I will offer an opinion.
->>An OLED or AMOLED screen is head and shoulders above anything else in sunlight (which your S21 has.)
->>Bigger is better up to a point. I like ~9.5-10.5 inches. (that's what she s...)
->>I am too cheap to buy a droppable glass screen device for $750.
->>The processor speed, memory size and storage are generally unimportant for drone use as long its not slow.

I was using a Samsung Tab S3 (great) and recently switched to a Samsung Tab S5e (also great but a little big.) Both are readable in direct sun on the beach (super bright) although they might need to be positioned to not directly reflect the sun; they have glossy screens. Any of the Samsung tabs S2 to S6 should be similar. The Lite versions, all A models and the plain S7 have TFT LCD screens and will be much less effective.
Its not just the brightness but also the technology. OLED screens emit light where LCD screens pass or block a white back light. The OLED can be much brighter and have much higher contrast than LCD. Since my tablet leads a rough life I buy refurb or open box.

You can get a refurb S3 on Amazon with a beautiful screen for around $200: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-32GB-Verizon-Tablet/dp/B0764LCVGL

Good Luck!

6.5" o a phone vs 7" on a tablet is a huge difference. You need to see the Tablet in person to realize the form factor is much larger than 6.5 on a phone. 942 nits on a phone are peak brightness not sustain brightness like the 1200 nits on the TRIPLTEK a huge difference here too
10 inch iPad with 128 gig memory is about $425. Great value for the size. You need an adapter with a lanyard for around your neck and a longer cable connection to the remote.

I've been searching here and elsewhere trying to find an answer to my question. If I want to use a tablet instead of my phone for my Air 2S, what gets me anywhere close to similar performance just in that larger form factor of a bigger screen? And the answer I come up with is NOTHING.

Seems like everyone is settling for "this tablet works okay" or an iPad (which blah blah blah .... NO, NEVER).

That's why you need an iPad mini 4 because it works with nearly every drone, I have just purchased a mini 2 and it's great with 4K as well and if you choose the iPad with only 16 or 32 GB of memory you will find that you can pick one up for less than £100 that's because no one wants an iPad with no memory, Simples.

I have a Samsung galaxy tablet S6. Has compass, works perfectly. Bright and large screen. Never had issues with firmware compatibility.

Wow ! I'm new to the drone thing, purchased my first drone ,a Mavic Air 2, less than 2 months ago with similar issues
My Galaxy Tab A can download the Fly App ....but cant load it . I rebuilt a broken iphone 8 Plus but it still had issues plus the screen was too small. Purchased a i-pad mini 2nd generation and during the first flight had the dreaded CPU Overload message,,,,,,,, I finally found the Mini 4th gen would work better but I eventually got the overload message.too but clearing the cache seem to make it work better. Thanks to forum help.
Prior to my purchase I did a lot of research and YouTube but these issues are rarely discussed .
The consensus is that DJI makes the best products so it seems odd that the necessary third party attachments are so limited ........ oh yeah my USB system is not recognized by the computer so I cant download from the internal storage.
so ill be sending it in for repair under warranty soon. Not impressed with DJI so far ....... although I love the drone.

The processor speed, memory size and storage are generally unimportant for drone use as long its not slow.
Not if you're trying to use it with a 3rd-party app which uses virtual sticks for controlling the drone. As the OP has an Air 2S which doesn't have a resident waypoint function, assuming the SDK is released he'd have to rely on an app like Dronelink or Litchi to provide that function. Whilst they do work on phones and tablets with slower processors (= cheaper/older devices), the end results are much less smooth, especially if you're doing something complicated with the camera (like a POI).

True , no tablet shows up well in sunlight unless you pay more for it.
I use the Mini 4 apple tablet, for all three of my DJI drones, do not have any connection problems. Started out with a Samsung, could not get drone off the ground, I fought with it for a month. Nobody could help me with figuring out my issue. Just saying, others have success with Samsung tablets.

$675 for a 7" screen? Ouch. My phone's already almost 6.5", just that the tablet is wider. 1200 nits vs 942 nits is a win for the Tripltek Pro 8GB, but it loses handily everywhere else. I totally agree about the Smart Controller, but at that price I think neither is a win. Maybe I'll just get a Surface tablet with Windows 11. :)
I have the same phone you do and a Tripltek Pro, the screen on the tablet is much larger, the phone is no comparison. The tablet works great

The Tripltek Pro tablet does everything well. It has a bright 1200 nit screen and I am able to use it with all my drones spread over three brands. It has a giant battery and is extremely rugged. Its price is the one hang up.... $675. For me it was worth every penny, because it is much more future proof than a smart controller, works with all my drones and has a 7" screen that allows my failing eyes to better frame my shots.
I could not agree more, i have the Tripltek Pro as well and with the features it has it is more than capable. I researched for awhile on what would go well with my MA2 and what others were saying and after looking into the Ttek i was convinced. With a Lifthor holder and its performance i simply would not consider a SC or any phone. Especially when phones have alot of junk on them from the user, creating various issues possibly. I have my Ttek dedicated just for the drone or drones i wish to own nothing more. I think a dedicated device is the way to go if you can do that option Imo.

I just ordered a Samsung Active3 Enterprise (128GB) tablet this morning. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but it has pretty good specs and not a bad price. Ordered from Samsung Business and saved almost $80. Just can't do the Tripltek, it needs an upgrade.

$675 for a 7" screen? Ouch. My phone's already almost 6.5", just that the tablet is wider. 1200 nits vs 942 nits is a win for the Tripltek Pro 8GB, but it loses handily everywhere else. I totally agree about the Smart Controller, but at that price I think neither is a win. Maybe I'll just get a Surface tablet with Windows 11. :)
I have the surface book 2 and thought I would like to use that at one point since its monitor comes off and becomes a 13"+ tablet, but could not find any of the apps like b4ufly or any of the others in Microsoft version. I guess their are webpages that do the same things but one would need to have the Microsoft Surface tablet hooked up to the WiFi of your cell phone's hotspot and...it just seemed like a lot of steps to have to go through every time I wanted to fly. For me the smart controller worked great since the length of time it takes me to save up for a new drone, means I'll have the M2P for many years to come--unless I drop it in a lake or river somewhere, then again, it's insured, so... But if a cell phone isn't going to accommodate your vision, then the smart controller definitely wouldn't either.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78