Join Us Now

Use a Tablet? Well... Maybe not.

RUFFSTUFF

RUFFSTUFF Media
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.ruffstuffmedia.com
I've been searching here and elsewhere trying to find an answer to my question. If I want to use a tablet instead of my phone for my Air 2S, what gets me anywhere close to similar performance just in that larger form factor of a bigger screen? And the answer I come up with is NOTHING.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra w/512GB.

Seems like everyone is settling for "this tablet works okay" or an iPad (which blah blah blah .... NO, NEVER).
Compatibility lists haven't been updated in ages...

Seriously... What Android tablet actually gets the job done with overhead?

I've been searching here and elsewhere trying to find an answer to my question. If I want to use a tablet instead of my phone for my Air 2S, what gets me anywhere close to similar performance just in that larger form factor of a bigger screen? And the answer I come up with is NOTHING.

Seems like everyone is settling for "this tablet works okay" or an iPad (which blah blah blah .... NO, NEVER).

The Tripltek Pro tablet does everything well. It has a bright 1200 nit screen and I am able to use it with all my drones spread over three brands. It has a giant battery and is extremely rugged. Its price is the one hang up.... $675. For me it was worth every penny, because it is much more future proof than a smart controller, works with all my drones and has a 7" screen that allows my failing eyes to better frame my shots.

The Tripltek Pro tablet does everything well. It has a bright 1200 nit screen and I am able to use it with all my drones spread over three brands. It has a giant battery and is extremely rugged. Its price is the one hang up.... $675. For me it was worth every penny, because it is much more future proof than a smart controller, works with all my drones and has a 7" screen that allows my failing eyes to better frame my shots.
$675 for a 7" screen? Ouch. My phone's already almost 6.5", just that the tablet is wider. 1200 nits vs 942 nits is a win for the Tripltek Pro 8GB, but it loses handily everywhere else. I totally agree about the Smart Controller, but at that price I think neither is a win. Maybe I'll just get a Surface tablet with Windows 11. :)

REFFSTUFF, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0", SM-T290NZKAXAR with my Air 2S and I'm pleased with it. I'd been relying on a Galaxy S10. phone. The added screen size is wonderful.

The Tab A lacks a compass and GPS, but I've not found that to be a serious issue. The primary limitation is not seeing the controller location on the map. (GPS-like location services are available if you have a wifi connection.) The primary advantage is the low cost - $100 on Amazon. The screen is very sharp and comparable to the iPad's brightness. Neither does well in bright sun, but it's usually workable to hold it in your own shadow.

The Tripltek is a true 1200 nits. The S21 can only achieve that brightness for a very short time because Samsung has baked in dimming that can't be turned off. I briefly had a S20 but sent it back when I realized that it wasn't as advertised. The price makes it not for everyone but it works well for me.

If I want to use a tablet instead of my phone for my Air 2S, what gets me anywhere close to similar performance just in that larger form factor of a bigger screen?

Not sure about the Fly app, but with Go4 you get a lot more info on the screen automatically.
The big advantage is you can have your map, histogram, radar, and all your telemetry there, and not have a cluttered up screen.

Plus if your eyes aren't so good you get a better clearer view not only of the screen, but more easily see tiny little ant like people far below (to avoid them), often these can't be noticed on smaller devices.

It's very much an individual thing, and no right or wrong answer.

The convenience factor of flying with just a phone is pretty high, but those using the ipad mini 4 or 5, or similar android sized devices, the arms of the standard controller work great so no other mount required.
A longer cable is needed, I use the spring coiled Thors Drone World Connecthor cables, out of the way but plenty of reach for me if using my external mount for longer flight sessions.

thor_holder_lanyard_01lr.jpg

Reactions: gerag
The Tripltek is a true 1200 nits. The S21 can only achieve that brightness for a very short time because Samsung has baked in dimming that can't be turned off. I briefly had a S20 but sent it back when I realized that it wasn't as advertised. The price makes it not for everyone but it works well for me.
Yeah the S21 Ultra can peak at 1500 but can't hold it.

$675 for a 7" screen? Ouch. My phone's already almost 6.5", just that the tablet is wider. 1200 nits vs 942 nits is a win for the Tripltek Pro 8GB, but it loses handily everywhere else. I totally agree about the Smart Controller, but at that price I think neither is a win. Maybe I'll just get a Surface tablet with Windows 11. :)
6.5" o a phone vs 7" on a tablet is a huge difference. You need to see the Tablet in person to realize the form factor is much larger than 6.5 on a phone. 942 nits on a phone are peak brightness not sustain brightness like the 1200 nits on the TRIPLTEK a huge difference here too

REFFSTUFF, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0", SM-T290NZKAXAR with my Air 2S and I'm pleased with it. I'd been relying on a Galaxy S10. phone. The added screen size is wonderful.

The Tab A lacks a compass and GPS, but I've not found that to be a serious issue. The primary limitation is not seeing the controller location on the map. (GPS-like location services are available if you have a wifi connection.)
Thanks, but that right there is why the Tab A fits cleanly into the "works okay" category...

Not sure about the Fly app, but with Go4 you get a lot more info on the screen automatically.
The big advantage is you can have your map, histogram, radar, and all your telemetry there, and not have a cluttered up screen.

Plus if your eyes aren't so good you get a better clearer view not only of the screen, but more easily see tiny little ant like people far below (to avoid them), often these can't be noticed on smaller devices.

It's very much an individual thing, and no right or wrong answer.

The convenience factor of flying with just a phone is pretty high, but those using the ipad mini 4 or 5, or similar android sized devices, the arms of the standard controller work great so no other mount required.
A longer cable is needed, I use the spring coiled Thors Drone World Connecthor cables, out of the way but plenty of reach for me if using my external mount for longer flight sessions.

View attachment 132447
Thanks but it seems like you're answering a different question....

6.5" o a phone vs 7" on a tablet is a huge difference. You need to see the Tablet in person to realize the form factor is much larger than 6.5 on a phone. 942 nits on a phone are peak brightness not sustain brightness like the 1200 nits on the TRIPLTEK a huge difference here too
Actually it's 1500 peak, 942 in adaptive, and 4-something in manual.

If I want to use a tablet instead of my phone for my Air 2S, what gets me anywhere close to similar performance just in that larger form factor of a bigger screen? And the answer I come up with is NOTHING.
Thanks but it seems like you're answering a different question....

Thought you were questioning advantages other than size of device.
I'm not familiar with android devices and tablets, and how they work with the DJI controllers.
Carry on.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 but that's because I was too cheap to buy a new tablet and the screen on my S21+ is too small for my liking. It's big and bulky but a neck strap helps with the weight and the large screen makes life easier for me and my aging eyes. DJI Fly also works really well on this tablet with its 8 cores and 8GB of RAM.

Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
Thought you were questioning advantages other than size of device.
I'm not familiar with android devices and tablets, and how they work with the DJI controllers.
Carry on.
I'm afraid not. I'm asking about performance and compatibility, specific to Android... Not sure how you missed those details... better luck next time.

If you have a big phone - then why would you want / need a tablet that is only marginally larger? Most of us who went to a tablet don't carry a honking monstrosity of a phone like you seem to have. Mine is maybe half the size of yours, so going to a tablet was a no brainer. My Lenovo M10 FHD fill that box quite will. It does not have the "nits" like a Triptek, but it didn't cost me an arm and a leg either. As a rec flyer - it would be "nice" to have a bright Triptek, but when I do a cost analysis - the Lenovo wins for me. Maybe not for you or anyone else - that is a decision YOU have to make. If I was a 107 / commercial / business pilot - then sure the Triptek would be winner.

BTW - I think you're phone costs well over $1k, yet it is also a phone and does all those cool things I don't need or want - but again - you pay the big bucks for those toys, not me. And when the 22 or whatever new model comes out - you'll probably be on that train to have to get it too.

Reactions: Mtnrider
I use the Tripltek Tablet and love it

Here is a listing of what people have been using:

The best flying tablet is the Huawei M5 (their M6 looks pretty good too on paper).
Looks like the M5 is about the same brightness as a current Ipad mini.I used to use the Mini 4 and it was a problem on a bright day.I have a 7.9 high brightness Crystal Sky I bought 2 years ago slightly used and the brightness is 1000 which works great on a bright day.Hoping my Crystal Sky lasts a few more years.

Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
Looks like the M5 is about the same brightness as a current Ipad mini.I used to use the Mini 4 and it was a problem on a bright day.I have a 7.9 high brightness Crystal Sky I bought 2 years ago slightly used and the brightness is 1000 which works great on a bright day.Hoping my Crystal Sky lasts a few more years.
Unless you pay extra for one of the high brightness tablets, no tablet shows up well in bright sunlight.
But most flyers can easily find a shady tree or wall to provide shade when flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803