DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using iPad Mini with Mavic

ajlholt

Reactions
I am thinking of buying an iPad mini to use with my Mavic2.
Are there any models which will not work with it?
Is it worth having cellular as well as wifi?
Any other useful tips?
Thanks

I am thinking of buying an iPad mini to use with my Mavic2.
Are there any models which will not work with it?
You can find a complete list of compatible iPad models here:
Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily)

Is it worth having cellular as well as wifi?
Any other useful tips?
Both Wi-Fi only and cellular iPad Air/Mini/Pro models are compatible. Only cellular models have GPS. You do not have to activate the cell service in order to use the GPS. The DJI GO app currently only requires GPS on an Apple device when using the Follow Me feature or to reset the home point to your current location if you've moved elsewhere after taking off. If you're going to use a Wi-Fi only Apple device, you could attach a Bluetooth GPS receiver (like one of these) to add GPS later if needed.

The latest iPad Mini and the Mini 4 both work quite well, I would stay away from any previous models as they really aren't robust enough to handle it.

You can find a complete list of compatible iPad models here:
Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily)

Both Wi-Fi only and cellular iPad Air/Mini/Pro models are compatible. Only cellular models have GPS. You do not have to activate the cell service in order to use the GPS. The DJI GO app currently only requires GPS on an Apple device when using the Follow Me feature or to reset the home point to your current location if you've moved elsewhere after taking off. If you're going to use a Wi-Fi only Apple device, you could attach a Bluetooth GPS receiver (like one of these) to add GPS later if needed.

Just curious and checked the list. But would like to know why poeple are disliking the iPhone X using DJI Go ? :S

is it that bad ?

But would like to know why poeple are disliking the iPhone X using DJI Go ?
Some of the 81% is likely using DJI GO. I wasn't always asking people to select their version of DJI GO when voting, so I don't have that data for votes that were placed before I started asking for the DJI GO version.

Ipad mini 2 have no issues - only thing I would love to have if I needed it was cellular service in case of a dynamic home point - I can link it to my phone with blue tooth to get wifi but not sure if dynamic home point will work - haven't tried it

Ipad mini 2 have no issues - only thing I would love to have if I needed it was cellular service in case of a dynamic home point - I can link it to my phone with blue tooth to get wifi but not sure if dynamic home point will work - haven't tried it
Its intermittent at the moment: Mobile device gps signal weak It’s location can not be acquired on iOS

I can link it to my phone with blue tooth to get wifi but not sure if dynamic home point will work
The GPS location cannot be shared over a hotspot.

I have the iPad mini 5. I built my own mount. It is very bright, although a sunshade helps. I got the cellular version, so I can do anything with it that I could do with a phone. I'm old enough that my eyes aren't what they used to be, and I really appreciate the larger display.

I also have a mini 5 with cellular. Smooth as silk, and it fits into the arms of the controller just fine.

I also have a mini 5 with cellular. Smooth as silk, and it fits into the arms of the controller just fine.
How the heck do you get it to fit into the controller arms???

I tried every way I could think of, and it wasn't even close, unless I mounted it in portrait position. Is that what you did?

This is what mine is mounted like but I do have an additional mount so that it is above the controller474EB96D-6626-42D3-840C-BA9CDFD06940.jpeg

Going to warn you here. the mini 2 is pretty much borderline on required horsepower to run Go 4. As soon as the weather warms up you are going to see issues with dropped video and lag. I would not recommend using a Mini 2. If you do be prepared to fly with no display when it gets warmer than 80 degrees.

Reactions: ff22
This is what mine is mounted like but I do have an additional mount so that it is above the controllerView attachment 74748
That picture is really helpful. It made me realize that I needed to be more aggressive with pushing the edge of the iPad into the handle rubber grippers. Knowing that I can do this gives me a really nice alternative to when I forget to bring my newly-created mount, or don't have time to assemble it.

Just curious and checked the list. But would like to know why poeple are disliking the iPhone X using DJI Go ? :S

is it that bad ?
I use the iPhone X with GO 4 and it works great. The display is fairly bright but not great in full sun like all displays. The downsides are it seems the controller arms block the Face ID from working and make it a little difficult to touch the little bar at the bottom to swipe up to exit an application. I am planning on getting a iPad mini as soon as I can justify the cost with my financial auditor (my wife).

I flew last summer in the warmest weather we have in nova scotia canada and no issues - I also have the video being received to the controller tonned right down.

I use the iPhone X with GO 4 and it works great. The display is fairly bright but not great in full sun like all displays. The downsides are it seems the controller arms block the Face ID from working and make it a little difficult to touch the little bar at the bottom to swipe up to exit an application. I am planning on getting a iPad mini as soon as I can justify the cost with my financial auditor (my wife).

Actually i have the same issue with full sun Brightness. i was thinking to get a dedicated phone (used one) for my drone with a screen that is very bright all the time. i dont want the crystalsky as its a big and i want to travel light and de SC is a bit expensive. Any recommandations about a phone with a bright screen when using in full sun? Samsung galaxy s8 ?

Would like to hear some recommandations.

Ya the glare issue is a big thing - I generally hide under something or get into the shade if I can - helps quite a bit

I use a sunshade, but I might try a matte "screen protector" to see if that helps. Even with the sunshade, I have trouble seeing things as clearly as I'd like. Some of that is my eyes, which are not what they used to be.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karchuandiong