DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vertical photos?

What dont you all get???
The PITCH can change, from -90 (straight down) to +30, (slightly up from horiz.)
It cant ROTATE the camera by 90* to give a PORTRAIT mode.
However, it can take a panorama, in a vertical plane, which when stiched, will give you a portrait ...

Not useful when you're flying over something and want to take 10-15 pictures.

The FAQs are clear. The M2 gimbals are not capable to rotate 90 degrees. But the specs at the manual have a contradiction, see the attached screenshot

I think its wording. Yes it can TILT 90 degrees downwards (ie move up and down).
What it CANT do is ROTATE 90 degrees onto its side to make the physical switch from landscape to portrait mode.

Reactions: geevee
Not useful when you're flying over something and want to take 10-15 pictures.

It's going to be very annoying.

Firstly, we all know the in built panorama auto mode is rubbish to the point its unusable. It offers no customisation for overlap, the angle of view, the horizon angle and so on. That's why most of us have to do manual.

Whats going to happen now is instead of say 3 x portrait aspect shots stitched its going to require 6 x landscape shots manually. A top and a bottom for each scene so instead of a 1 x 3 grid you need a 2 x 3 and so on.
In other words it'll double the number of images needed and time taken to get a panorama.
I really dislike that as i shoot a lot of panoramas. You'll still be able to do them but have to work at it more (having to work at something more due to a reduced feature in an "upgrade" is a strange choice).

Reactions: geevee
I've always had success with the automatic pano as long as I then stitch the photos myself. Never needed manual orientation.

Reactions: mfc
It's not the same. When you pay close to $2000, you should be able to see exactly what your video will look like, rather than just estimating what will be in when it's cropped.

Man, you're ridiculous. First its a huge design flaw (when its a feature that didnt exist before the Mavic), now its close to $2000 (hint: it's not), and its DJIs fault that Instagram has awkward settings?

Say it with me: PORTRAIT PHOTOS DONT GO ON INSTAGRAM. Whatever you use, on whatever camera you use, needs to be cropped in order to upload to instagram.

I've always had success with the automatic pano as long as I then stitch the photos myself. Never needed manual orientation.

Auto doesnt allow me to select the field of view i want. It also seems to centre the gimbal and horizon so the panos all start like that.

Taking pictures in Portrait mode with the classic Mavic Pro was one big selling point for that drone for me. I use professional stitching software which cannot be compared to anything (in terms of quality) what DJI is offering in their built-in modes. It will be a huge loss, at least for me, if I will decide to switch to M2P.

yes, this is a bit disappointing. I like panos, although they aren't great sellers for me, but they aren't too much work to stitch together in PS. hmm, it's either a good selling point for my MP, or a reason to keep it.

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
It seems that we are talking about 2 different things. There are 2 ways to rotate the gimbal:

1. 90 degrees left, so the M2 can’t do this and it is unable to take mechanical portrait photos. This is that they mean “vertical” photos. To get one, you should crop a landscape photo or, to stitch one in panorama mode.

2. 90 degrees down. This is the real “vertical” movement of the gimbal mechanism and, as read on manuals, both M2s could do. Then, the top views, ortophotos and cenit aerial shoots as the original MP does, should be possible on M2s.

DJI should be more specific when they refer to the “vertical” mode, using “portrait” if is this what they are talking about.

It seems that we are talking about 2 different things. There are 2 ways to rotate the gimbal:

1. 90 degrees left, so the M2 can’t do this and it is unable to take mechanical portrait photos. This is that they mean “vertical” photos. To get one, you should crop a landscape photo or, to stitch one in panorama mode.

2. 90 degrees down. This is the real “vertical” movement of the gimbal mechanism and, as read on manuals, both M2s could do. Then, the top views, ortophotos and cenit aerial shoots as the original MP does, should be possible on M2s.

DJI should be more specific when they refer to the “vertical” mode, using “portrait” if is this what they are talking about.

This answers my original question - I was referring to the tilt down 90 functionality. I was confused as I’d expect DJI to refer to the rotate 90 as “portrait” in common with standard nomenclature for photography.

Reactions: felipeassadi
Man, you're ridiculous. First its a huge design flaw (when its a feature that didnt exist before the Mavic), now its close to $2000 (hint: it's not), and its DJIs fault that Instagram has awkward settings?

Say it with me: PORTRAIT PHOTOS DONT GO ON INSTAGRAM. Whatever you use, on whatever camera you use, needs to be cropped in order to upload to instagram.

Portrait requires very little cropping on Instagram and is by far the ideal setting for taking pics for IG. Do you work for DJI or are you just a hardcore fanboy? I dont get why youre so defensive.

It's a huge oversight. And yes after all is said and done, it's comes close to paying $2000 for the Pro (taxes, extra battery, bag/case, or fly more package)

Portrait requires very little cropping on Instagram and is by far the ideal setting for taking pics for IG. Do you work for DJI or are you just a hardcore fanboy? I dont get why youre so defensive.

It's a huge oversight. And yes after all is said and done, it's comes close to paying $2000 for the Pro (taxes, extra battery, bag/case, or fly more package)

I don't think DJI designed the 1" sensor to appeal to people posting images on Instagram. For what they designed it for, rotating 90 degrees clearly was not considered necessary.

I'd be really curious to hear about how a vertical photo requires less cropping for instagram than a horizontal one, given both are the exact same aspect ratio. I don't work for DJI, nor am I a fanboi, I just recognize stupid illogical complaints.

Reactions: sar104 and Mavic 57
I'd be really curious to hear about how a vertical photo requires less cropping for instagram than a horizontal one, given both are the exact same aspect ratio. I don't work for DJI, nor am I a fanboi, I just recognize stupid illogical complaints.
4x5 vertical crop is becoming the most popular aspect ratio nowadays among instagrammers as it fills up the smartphone screen, giving higher engagement than the classic square format.
MAX+INSTAGRAM+CROP+VS+MINIMUM+4%3A5

It's going to be very annoying.

Firstly, we all know the in built panorama auto mode is rubbish to the point its unusable. It offers no customisation for overlap, the angle of view, the horizon angle and so on. That's why most of us have to do manual.

Whats going to happen now is instead of say 3 x portrait aspect shots stitched its going to require 6 x landscape shots manually. A top and a bottom for each scene so instead of a 1 x 3 grid you need a 2 x 3 and so on.
In other words it'll double the number of images needed and time taken to get a panorama.
I really dislike that as i shoot a lot of panoramas. You'll still be able to do them but have to work at it more (having to work at something more due to a reduced feature in an "upgrade" is a strange choice).
litchi does all that automatically, u can choose how many rows the angle of the top row etc, and in litchi i can change to portait mode and shoot a pano making it a a very wide pano, u can also choose the amount of degrees, 90-135-180degress etc, i dont use djigo for panos only litchi

I don't think it was an oversight at all. Oversight implies incompetence and the lack of intent. I think they thought about it a lot. The simple fact that it's included in their FAQ on launch day and the software is programmed to omit the feature is evidence of that.

DJI got their start making gimbals. They're best known for making drones but anyone whose familiar with the company long term knows gimbals are their specialty. They are now controlling the camera pitch with two opposing brushless motors. This was likely required to both rapidly and smoothly pitch the heavier cameras. In order to minimize the moment generated by suspending the camera from the yaw motor which connects to the airframe, you need to minimize the distance it's suspended (lever arm). This short lever arm doesn't allow the camera to roll to portrait mode because the pitch motors would contact the airframe or yaw motor.

The only way they could have made it work would be to retain the one-sided pitch motor design but increase the size/weight of the motor to compensate for the loss of power. Doing this could also contribute to camera shake because of suspended unbalanced load.

DJI is a multi-billion dollar company. They may have lousy customer service and rush product out the door but they aren't entirely incompetent. They're success lies within their marketing and there's no way that department didn't scoff when they learned engineering couldn't figure out how to make the camera perform to spec with the same features of the previous generation. They most likely evaluated the types of content that's been shot and shared by the end users and determined the loss of portrait mode wasn't substantial enough to sacrifice other performance elements of the camera system.

Of course this will piss off number of people and they won't buy the product, but the majority won't care.

Reactions: Mavic 57
i am very suprisied to here thers no more portait mode, i use it alot for panorama shots, its not a deal breaker but it is very disapointing its gone, 1 step forward with better camera now a step back with no portait mode,,,,,

Whats the real life situation everyone has every used portrait mode for? Instagram doesn't count, because its quite low-res, so just just your normal, landscape pic, you'll get over 3 times the pixels dimensions needed for instagram. Top down photos do not count either, cause, hey, put your finger on that yaw stick and rotate the **** craft.

So, whats the use cases?

The only valid plus seems to be the panorama case, but hey, 3640 vertical pixels with 4000 doesn't sound like a big deal, and if you really need it wider (well... taller), shoot another row.

Reactions: OldBlueHeron
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw