DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Editing Mystery

Careful about using ratings to compare SD card speeds... They are notoriously overstated. I doubt you're averaging half that 160 😁

UHS-II cards tend to be a bit more honest for some reason – in my experience – but still seem to be quoting peak performance.

In any case, ultimately we're talking patience, of which I have little for transferring data, so even 2x is important to me 😉

I use BTRFS for drives used in a NAS (network accessible storage) server. While I use NTFS for all other drives (internal and external) that are permanently attached to a single computer, for removable memeory devices that are likely to move from drone to canera to computer, etc., I find that exFAT works best with the fewest compatability issues. If a storage device is primarily to be used in your drone, it's probably best to start by formatting it in the drone itself (assuming the drone has the software onboard to do that) rather than formatting on your computer. It's the way of being most certain that the footage from the drone's camera will get onto the memory card with the fewest glitches. On some devices like drones and video cameras, NTSF isn't one of the format options available. So, for removable media used across devices, I've just settled on ex FAT and that seems to work best.

Having said all of that, if what you're doing now works, then it might be a good idea just to stay with it.

Careful about using ratings to compare SD card speeds... They are notoriously overstated. I doubt you're averaging half that 160 😁

UHS-II cards tend to be a bit more honest for some reason – in my experience – but still seem to be quoting peak performance.

In any case, ultimately we're talking patience, of which I have little for transferring data, so even 2x is important to me 😉
I came of age in the data world of 300 baud modems, so my data transfer patience is actually quite high...

;-)

TCS

Reactions: retiredNH
I use BTRFS for drives used in a NAS (network accessible storage) server. While I use NTFS for all other drives (internal and external) that are permanently attached to a single computer, for removable memeory devices that are likely to move from drone to canera to computer, etc., I find that exFAT works best with the fewest compatability issues. If a storage device is primarily to be used in your drone, it's probably best to start by formatting it in the drone itself (assuming the drone has the software onboard to do that) rather than formatting on your computer. It's the way of being most certain that the footage from the drone's camera will get onto the memory card with the fewest glitches. On some devices like drones and video cameras, NTSF isn't one of the format options available. So, for removable media used across devices, I've just settled on ex FAT and that seems to work best.

Having said all of that, if what you're doing now works, then it might be a good idea just to stay with it.
I've never had to format an SD card, ever, until I got my FPV, which wouldn't deal the cards right until I did. In that case, I formatted the drone card in the drone, and the goggles card in the goggles.

No problem since.

Thx.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada