DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video: Real world Experience with AirSense

Pretty cool to see that ... hahah maybe just another mavic 2 air drone ... all kidding aside I hope he doesnt go and seek those planes out, and keeps the hobby safe for us all. Definitely a good and safe feature to have on the mavic air 2.

Flying way out of VLOS, and also over cars and people in a dense urban environment. This kind of irresponsible piloting is why the FAA is trying to force us to have Remote ID now. ?

Pretty cool to see that ... hahah maybe just another mavic 2 air drone ... all kidding aside I hope he doesnt go and seek those planes out, and keeps the hobby safe for us all. Definitely a good and safe feature to have on the mavic air 2.

Not another drone, AirSense is only received by DJI drones. It's broadcast by manned aircraft. It's currently required in the US, and rolling out in EU (which is why DJI chose to initially hold off and deploying it in EU).

I found an iOS app called Flightradar24 which is also very fascinating!

So all ADS-B tells you is a manned aircraft is near by? It doesn't even tell you at what altitude? Am I naive in being underwhelmed by this? I expected it would be better than this.

So all ADS-B tells you is a manned aircraft is near by? It doesn't even tell you at what altitude? Am I naive in being underwhelmed by this? I expected it would be better than this.

Using "ADS-B Out", each aircraft periodically broadcasts information about itself, such as identification, current position, altitude and velocity, through an onboard transmitter. ADS-B Out provides air traffic controllers with real-time position information that is, in most cases, more accurate than the information available with current radar-based systems. With more accurate information, ATC will be able to position and separate aircraft with improved precision and timing

That being said I don't know if DJI displays the altitude. One way to find out.

That being said I don't know if DJI displays the altitude. One way to find out.

DJI Fly doesn't seem to show the altitude. I'm sure the technology allows for it, but for some reason DJI isn't showing it.

(one reason could be that manned aircraft transmit their ADS-B altitude as MSL (height above sea level), whereas DJI's software normally only shows you height above takeoff point. This could be confusing to drone pilots unless DJI works to calculate the difference here)

DJI Fly doesn't seem to show the altitude. I'm sure the technology allows for it, but for some reason DJI isn't showing it.

(one reason could be that manned aircraft transmit their ADS-B altitude as MSL (height above sea level), whereas DJI's software normally only shows you height above takeoff point. This could be confusing to drone pilots unless DJI works to calculate the difference here)

AirSense is meant only as a warning that manned aircraft is in the area. Much like the wind warning it's up to you to take the appropriate actions.

Reactions: GARhythm

The aircraft does know AMSL from GNSS and, more approximately, from the raw barometer data. It likely uses that to filter out aircraft that are too high to be relevant.

AirSense is meant only as a warning that manned aircraft is in the area. Much like the wind warning it's up to you to take the appropriate actions.
Isn't the aim of incorporating ADS-B in to drones to increase situational awareness with regards to manned aircraft? Hence why I asked altitude of currently nearby manned aircraft was not included in the warning.

There is hope then that this system might be refined in the future.

Edit: This was in reply to sar's post, the system some how didn't add the quote tag.

There is hope then that this system might be refined in the future.

Edit: This was in reply to sar's post, the system some how didn't add the quote tag.

I'd certainly like to see it included, but DJI may be concerned that many pilots will look at it and say "that's definitely 50 ft (or pick some other inadequate number) higher than my drone, so no problem".

Isn't the aim of incorporating ADS-B in to drones to increase situational awareness with regards to manned aircraft? Hence why I asked altitude of currently nearby manned aircraft was not included in the warning.

According to the previous post it filters out aircraft too high to be of concern. Hence if you see it on your screen you should pay attention. Actual altitude should not be an issue, you need to take appropriate actions. If you are at 400ft then you should be looking around. If you are 20ft off the ground then you can ignore, unless you are 20ft off the runway surface. :p

I live fairly close to some smaller airports so I get the warning often.

It doesn't show the altitude or even the general direction of the aircraft, just the warning, however, each time it has gone off I've been able to easily spot and/or hear the aircraft and the general location it is referencing...

So the MAC's are close enough that it's a relevant warning, especially given the distance/range that these have.

I live fairly close to some smaller airports so I get the warning often.

It doesn't show the altitude or even the general direction of the aircraft, just the warning

If you look at the map after getting the warning, you should see an airplane icon that is oriented in the direction of flight.

If you look at the map after getting the warning, you should see an airplane icon that is oriented in the direction of flight.
I must be doing something wrong in the app because I can't get the map to launch when I click it down in the lower left corner.... Haven't been able to for some reason. Do I have to do something in settings?

I must be doing something wrong in the app because I can't get the map to launch when I click it down in the lower left corner.... Haven't been able to for some reason. Do I have to do something in settings?

I just tap it and it opens. I haven't had to change any settings.

I saw a video of a german guy flying with ADS-B when his map was minimized it turned into an icon of an airplane and indeed showed its speed and altitude I'm trying to find it..

I flew this afternoon and it was working I was probably doing something dumb. I did't enlarge it but when you do it may show altitude, I'll have to check tomorrow, it's windy now can't fly. Booooo

Is there a protocol you should follow when that warning goes off? Like dropping to a certain altitude?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topcomons