DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Videographer but New to Drones

dsjones

Reactions
Hi my name is Danny, and I'm glad I found this forum!
I've been shooting and editing videos for close to twenty years for folks doing mission work around the world. It's all for non-profits and I work for free - never charge a dime. I recently purchased a DJ Mavic Air 2 which I should receive this week from B&H. As a brand new drone pilot, I purchased the Care Refresh/Refresh+ package for two years of coverage. I believe it's a smart purchase having read and seen so many others who have crashed their expensive investments. I've done extensive research on the subject, not to mention the hours upon hours of watching YouTube Videos on drone flying, but I have yet to wade into the water myself. Since I'll be doing that this week (hopefully), I though I'd check in here and ask some questions for those who have experience in the field.

1. For now, as I learn to fly, I'll be registering with the FAA as a recreational pilot. If and when I begin to use drone video in my projects (promotional videos for non-profits, churches, religious organizations) with the disclaimer that I do NOT make any money from the videos, will I need to fly under Part 107 and get a Remote Pilot Certificate?
2. What do I need to know about any US requirements or regulations for taking my drone overseas and shooting video? (I realize I'll have to check with the country I'm visiting. I understand that there are some countries that have very little to any regulations, while others will not allow drones at all without prior authorization. My question here is because I saw something on the FAA website about applying by mail instead of online if you intend to fly overseas.
3. Any other advice would be welcome!

Regards,
Danny

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup
Hi there Danny! best thing to do is search with in our forum!
You will find the answers you're looking for.;)

Welcome to the forum! :)

will I need to fly under Part 107 and get a Remote Pilot Certificate?
It sounds like you want to do something other than fly for recreational purposes (per the rules here). You should contact the FAA for advice if you're not sure your planned activities are recreational.

Any other advice would be welcome!
Getting Started

Reactions: Xanadu
Welcome to the forum. You will find helpful support and advice. We look forward to seeing your view of the world.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . :)

Reactions: Xanadu and Thomas B
Hi my name is Danny, and I'm glad I found this forum!
I've been shooting and editing videos for close to twenty years for folks doing mission work around the world. It's all for non-profits and I work for free - never charge a dime. I recently purchased a DJ Mavic Air 2 which I should receive this week from B&H. As a brand new drone pilot, I purchased the Care Refresh/Refresh+ package for two years of coverage. I believe it's a smart purchase having read and seen so many others who have crashed their expensive investments. I've done extensive research on the subject, not to mention the hours upon hours of watching YouTube Videos on drone flying, but I have yet to wade into the water myself. Since I'll be doing that this week (hopefully), I though I'd check in here and ask some questions for those who have experience in the field.

1. For now, as I learn to fly, I'll be registering with the FAA as a recreational pilot. If and when I begin to use drone video in my projects (promotional videos for non-profits, churches, religious organizations) with the disclaimer that I do NOT make any money from the videos, will I need to fly under Part 107 and get a Remote Pilot Certificate?
2. What do I need to know about any US requirements or regulations for taking my drone overseas and shooting video? (I realize I'll have to check with the country I'm visiting. I understand that there are some countries that have very little to any regulations, while others will not allow drones at all without prior authorization. My question here is because I saw something on the FAA website about applying by mail instead of online if you intend to fly overseas.
3. Any other advice would be welcome!

Regards,
Danny
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic Air 2 when it arrives, anxiously awaiting mine too, Fly safe and have fun!

Reactions: Xanadu
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan