DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Virtual Litchi Mission

VLM 2.4.0 does not have Drone Type DJI Phantom 3 Pro like VLM 2.0.0 did so I set the following values for VLM 2.4.0. I guess FOV is most important:

Drone Type: "DJI Phantom 4 Professional"
FOV (degrees): 94
Max Speed: 58 km/h / 36 mph
Max Ascent Rate: 5 m/s / 11 mph
Max Descent Rate: 3 m/s / 7 mph
Max Mission Distance: 14 km / 9 miles
Max Mission Time: 17 min

(I am using VLM in Windows 10 via VMware Fusion 8.5.10 in macOS 10.14.5 in Mac mini 2018).

VLM 2.4.0 does not have Drone Type DJI Phantom 3 Pro like VLM 2.0.0 did so I set the following values for VLM 2.4.0. I guess FOV is most important:

Drone Type: "DJI Phantom 4 Professional"
FOV (degrees): 94
Max Speed: 58 km/h / 36 mph
Max Ascent Rate: 5 m/s / 11 mph
Max Descent Rate: 3 m/s / 7 mph
Max Mission Distance: 14 km / 9 miles
Max Mission Time: 17 min

(I am using VLM in Windows 10 via VMware Fusion 8.5.10 in macOS 10.14.5 in Mac mini 2018).

Yes - FOV is the most important as it sets the GE viewer. The other values are simply used to give warnings if the mission is pushing the limits of your drone!

N

Not sure but I think the problem is that you need to authorize your API key to use the Elevation API and the Javascript API

N

Just discovered the VLM program as I was re-examining Litchi App and possible usage.
This looks like a super addition to the Litchi App & Litchi HUB.

Is there a thread that discusses the Google Earth and making waypoints & routes. Using Google Earth is also a new one.

Newbie User to this VLM program and the API key.
In reading the whole VLM thread in one session, I was a little lost in how or what to obtain for the API.
Thought others... as myself, not as knowledgeable on what to perform may like a few pointers.

I've signed up for the Google cloud service at Google Cloud Platform. (GCP).
Basically, if you have a Gmail account it's pretty quick to signup... with a credit card.
I'd suggest Bookmarking the GCP page too, so you can easily return as needed.

I personally wasn't sure what I was suppose to be looking for to obtain the GCP API Key.
From the GCP main page, nothing jumped out at me and wasn't clear... leaving a little doubt in my actions.

After signing up GCP; from your GCP Home Acct Page; on the Left Upper Corner, click the Menu Icon (3 horizontal bars).
Look down menu to "API and Services", and select "Credentials" from the Pop Out Menu.
Click on " Create Credentials" Button and select "API Key" and accept default as "unrestricted".
This generates a GCP API Key for your usage. Copy and place in notes elsewhere too if desired.

Adding additional API Authorizations.
@namirda indicates Elevation API and Javascript API need to be authorized.
I'm assuming this is accomplished by "Enabling" the API's since they are then associated to your API KEY.
To Enable API:
Return to the GCP Main page, Upper Left Corner Menu Icon
Select "API & Services" and "Libraries" from the Pop Out menu.
On the Libraries main page, select the "Maps JAVA Script API" and from API's description page: click on "Enable" button.
Return to Libraries main page, on the "API Search" bar, type in Earth.
Select the "Maps Elevation API" and enable in same manor as Java API.

You can verify your GCP API Key is associated to Enabled API's, from the Main Menu select "API & Services" and "Dashboard".
From Dashboard's API list in lower section of Screen. Select "Maps Elevation" or "Maps JavaScript".
From the selected API page, select the 3rd tab at top: "Credentials" and it will display your API Key associated to the API.

Hope this helps a few that weren't sure on course of action for API Key.
Or... maybe I'm the only one! o_O

Reactions: radio_flyer
@namirda new to your program, looks very nice. Question on the VLM Setup Dialog box. When opened it's very compressed in view. Unable to stretch or change it... makes it difficult to see the setup values. Running this on a Mac with Parallels or Straight Bootcamp Volume Window10 Pro 1903.
VLM setup screen.png

@namirda new to your program, looks very nice. Question on the VLM Setup Dialog box. When opened it's very compressed in view. Unable to stretch or change it... makes it difficult to see the setup values. Running this on a Mac with Parallels or Straight Bootcamp Volume Window10 Pro 1903.
View attachment 77380
Hi,

Indeed that looks a bit messy - sorry!

Unfortunately I have no way to investigate problems like that because I do not have a Mac. Are you able to change screen resolution? Does the display look any better at lower resolutions?

On my PC I have checked all the resolutions which my screen/driver supports (1920*1080 and below) but found no issues.

Does anybody else have this problem?

N

Hi,

Indeed that looks a bit messy - sorry!

Unfortunately I have no way to investigate problems like that because I do not have a Mac. Are you able to change screen resolution? Does the display look any better at lower resolutions?

On my PC I have checked all the resolutions which my screen/driver supports (1920*1080 and below) but found no issues.

Does anybody else have this problem?

N
It's not due to a MacOS, I also boot directly to Windows, no Mac OS running and it's all Intel chip set.

Althogh the video card does support 2.5K so that may be part of the problem, high resolution... 2560x1440.

On a different tangent... when bringing the flight over to Google Earth from VLM... it looks great, but when running the flight the camera view goes from POI to sky, then repeats up & down.

Thanks for a very cool program.

It's not due to a MacOS, I also boot directly to Windows, no Mac OS running and it's all Intel chip set.

Althogh the video card does support 2.5K so that may be part of the problem, high resolution... 2560x1440.

On a different tangent... when bringing the flight over to Google Earth from VLM... it looks great, but when running the flight the camera view goes from POI to sky, then repeats up & down.

Thanks for a very cool program.

I would like to take a look at the mission which is giving problems. Please mark it as public in Mission Hub and post the link here.

Thanks

N

I think you were on for the compressed dialog box. On one system I could back down to 1920x1080 and it displayed the correct dialog layout and scale.

The other system wanted to use 1920x1200 and it looks much better but a little compressed.

Looks like it needs to be 1920x1080 or less.

I'll get that over to public for you.

I downloaded VLM 2.4.0, it just saved as a folder with a number of files inside, even though it had the zip extension, it didn't save as a single zip file. There is no unzip function when displayed. There were no executable files inside, including no setup file as displayed on the download page in Dropbox. How can I get the setup file?

I keep having this exact issue. If I change from focus PoI to interpolate but leave the angles the same as they were when defined by focus PoI, then it becomes all fine.

I downloaded VLM 2.4.0, it just saved as a folder with a number of files inside, even though it had the zip extension, it didn't save as a single zip file. There is no unzip function when displayed. There were no executable files inside, including no setup file as displayed on the download page in Dropbox. How can I get the setup file?
That sounds very strange. I've just downloaded the zip file again myself just to check and it all looks OK to me. Perhaps try it again.

Reactions: tleonhar
I keep having this exact issue. If I change from focus PoI to interpolate but leave the angles the same as they were when defined by focus PoI, then it becomes all fine.
About a month ago I took a look at Doug's mission to see what was going wrong. It seems that under some circumstances which I have been unable to duplicate, Litchi will output zero for the gimbal pitch in the CSV file instead of the angle appropriate for the POI.

As you say, you can force Litchi to recalculate the angle by reselecting "Focus POI" as gimbal mode followed by "Interpolate" if required.

About a month ago I took a look at Doug's mission to see what was going wrong. It seems that under some circumstances which I have been unable to duplicate, Litchi will output zero for the gimbal pitch in the CSV file instead of the angle appropriate for the POI.

As you say, you can force Litchi to recalculate the angle by reselecting "Focus POI" as gimbal mode followed by "Interpolate" if required.
Recreating the same mission, and selecting the altitude and POI method initially created a stable mission without the bobbing up & down. No fact, only assumption, but I played with that mission by changing POI, adding & deleting, changed altitudes, focused and interpolate. I'm in the thought path if excessive editing mission, it may result in odd behavior. I'm not certain the problem wouldn't have presented itself under normal mission flight too as if something in the repeated editing, adding or deleting POI or WP corrupts something.

Good Luck!

That sounds very strange. I've just downloaded the zip file again myself just to check and it all looks OK to me. Perhaps try it again.
Just did the download again, all is fine now, it was a glitch in the original download. Thanks for the tip!

... On a different tangent... when bringing the flight over to Google Earth from VLM... it looks great, but when running the flight the camera view goes from POI to sky, then repeats up & down.

I have the same problem with some missions, but I dont think that´s a problem of litchi. In my opinion the values for the gimbal pitch is not transmitted with the mission to the drone, during the flight these are coming directly from the remote control/mobilphone litchi app.
I tested that with the missions: If the connection to RC is stable, then everything is fine, if I lose the connection briefly, the camera view goes up and down.
Has anyone had similar experiences?

I have the same problem with some missions, but I dont think that´s a problem of litchi. In my opinion the values for the gimbal pitch is not transmitted with the mission to the drone, during the flight these are coming directly from the remote control/mobilphone litchi app.
I tested that with the missions: If the connection to RC is stable, then everything is fine, if I lose the connection briefly, the camera view goes up and down.
Two things to remember.
Litchi can only control the gimbal pitch automatically during the mission, as long as the aircraft is within range of the remote controller. If signal is lost during the mission, the aircraft will continue the mission at the speed it was travelling at when it lost signal.

This is Correct - its Not a LITCHI Thing - its a WAYPOINTS Automation thing - The Phone needs to be connected Propely to the RC and The RC to the DRONE -
The Phone software tells the RC to send Gimbal Pitch adjustments- - and can do so ONLY if theres a Drone connection. (Otherwise the Gimbal either sticks to the Last transmitted Angle - OR - alternatively Pitches to Zero degrees - Both of these occur.)

Two things to remember.
Litchi can only control the gimbal pitch automatically during the mission, as long as the aircraft is within range of the remote controller. If signal is lost during the mission, the aircraft will continue the mission at the speed it was travelling at when it lost signal.
… the aircraft will continue the mission at the speed (and last TX Gimbal Pitch) it was travelling at when it lost signal. … (However - at the point of loss … it will continue to fly to waypoints - also will rotate as required - as the on board Controller already has this flight plan)
So Change of speed and Gimbal Pitch must have aircraft connection - but Waypoints (co-ords) + and heading - are autonomously followed by the onboard flight controller.
… that's what Iv observed and understand...
The Only way to ensure that your Gimbal and speed instructions are followed - as well as Flight Path is to Place yourself central (in your Mission) and in contact with the drone all the time.... ie Possibly change your Location of takeoff to somewhere central.

Thanks for the information, that is also consistent with my observations. But I thought it only affected the gimbal pitch. This is immediately noticeable because the recording is messed up :).
This is of course a litle limitation and I could not find any hints about it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, that is also consistent with my observations. But I thought it only affected the gimbal pitch. This is immediately noticeable because the recording is messed up :).
This is of course a litle limitation and I could not find any hints about it.
Heres another NOTICABLE problem -
When Litchi takes the drone out of range - autonomously - the LOG file stored will exclude the Path where it was OUT of range.
It will report a Straight line between the Point it Lost signal and the Point it recovered signal.

The only way to retrieve the actual Log correctly is from the drone itself - . ie txt or dat file

This may impact Analysis on Airdata UAV (if you use that)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929