DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Visually lost my Mini 2, 200ft from me and 30 ft up

I have fitted lights to the underside of the drone legs. They are designed to be fitted to the rear seat tubes and front forks of my bike. They are attached by a neoprene band which fits over the leg of the drone. They can be seen from at least 300ft and can be set in a variety of flashing or steady patterns. The clear (front) lights throw out enough light at night to allow videoing of the ground from at least 40ft .
They have rechargeable batteries which last about 3 hours and take about an hour to recharge. They weigh only a few grams do not effect the performance of the drone. They are totally waterproof and intended to take hard knocks
The best bit! All four including chargers and other bits only cost £12

I am a bit confused, how can you lose the drone? can't you just return it to home??

I had that sinking feeling when I could not see my drone.
I took it straight up and could not see it after a while.
My wife came out and pointed to it and I was looking up/out and not overhead/up.
I knew the location according to the app but not seeing it with your own eyes can give you a slight feeling of loss.
After that I remember that I was in control and used the app to get it back in front of my eyes.
It only take a few seconds from looking at the controller to lose focus but have no fear and use the app.

Was my 2nd flight, flying on frozen lake in Ely, MN, had flow away from me and was hovering, adjusting gimbal, looked up and couldn't see my drone. Was showing my wife for first time and she spotted it. It was a very dark grey day. It blended into ice, snow, birch and popple trees. I finally saw it and no crash or anything.

I immediately ordered the ARC V 3 pack, white red, green light set, ordered it yesterday from Firehouse Technology. Got a shipping notice this morning which is phenomenal service.

I also have a skin ordered to help with visibility in my conditions.
I bought an LED flasher which I velcro onto my mini (1).
I had to mount it on the top so I still don't always see my drone, which can get the old heart pumping.
I am interested in at least adding SOME fluorescent skin to contrast the darn thing to the sky but I worry about adding too much weight with that.
Are those 'skins' light weight and can just strips of color be added to my drone?
Also, is there an LED add on that can be somehow mounted on the bottom of a 'Mini'?

I bought an LED flasher which I velcro onto my mini (1).
I had to mount it on the top so I still don't always see my drone, which can get the old heart pumping.
I am interested in at least adding SOME fluorescent skin to contrast the darn thing to the sky but I worry about adding too much weight with that.
Are those 'skins' light weight and can just strips of color be added to my drone?
Also, is there an LED add on that can be somehow mounted on the bottom of a 'Mini'?
Just researched and found mounts on the legs of a mini. Wondering now how much weight that adds and how much shorter the flight time is when using them? It seems as though it would be worth it.

Was my 2nd flight, flying on frozen lake in Ely, MN, had flow away from me and was hovering, adjusting gimbal, looked up and couldn't see my drone. Was showing my wife for first time and she spotted it. It was a very dark grey day. It blended into ice, snow, birch and popple trees. I finally saw it and no crash or anything.

I immediately ordered the ARC V 3 pack, white red, green light set, ordered it yesterday from Firehouse Technology. Got a shipping notice this morning which is phenomenal service.

I also have a skin ordered to help with visibility in my conditions.
I have the wrapgrade neon orange ..You would be shocked how far away you can see it.. Even with that I know it’s hard at times , but always keep a eye on where your drone is.. Even with RTH you need to be alert. Bird attacks , low flying emergency helicopters etc can sneak right up on you.

Reactions: raymairjr
I have fitted lights to the underside of the drone legs. They are designed to be fitted to the rear seat tubes and front forks of my bike. They are attached by a neoprene band which fits over the leg of the drone. They can be seen from at least 300ft and can be set in a variety of flashing or steady patterns. The clear (front) lights throw out enough light at night to allow videoing of the ground from at least 40ft .
They have rechargeable batteries which last about 3 hours and take about an hour to recharge. They weigh only a few grams do not effect the performance of the drone. They are totally waterproof and intended to take hard knocks
The best bit! All four including chargers and other bits only cost £12

Hi, please send link to where you got them. Cheers.

Yes. VLOS and etc. I know.
But that very important skill to be able positioning your drone using map, on screen compass and visual orienteers from camera. You need to train it. To do not panic, bring it closer and get visual contact.

Strobes are awesome. They ought to come in fly-more kits or something. I use a strobe on top and bottom of my Mini and both sides/Top of the MA2. Having an observer, even one of my kids, is a big help too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters