DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VLOS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I don’t see mentioned here Is the use of an observer. Can the drone operator not have someone observe the drone visually while he/she deals with whatever needs doing on the display? This would allow for maintaining VLOS by the observer, while the operator concentrates on capturing video or still photos.

I have learned over a three year ownership of flying Mavic Air and Mavic 2 pro that this an ART FORM. It is a combination, albeit very difficult, to balance both VLOS, watch out for planes, trees, wires, and composing a great shot or clip. My eyes are jumping back and forth from iPad screen to drone, and it is very disorienting at times. My solution to this dilemma has been to gradually evolve, as I noted above, to keeping it close. In my neighborhood, (South Miami), there will suddenly be a low flying aircraft (helicopter usually) out of nowhere! It might be a police search, or other law enforcement. I appreciate the wonderful videos from wide open mountain scapes and valleys. If I had that terrain, I might be tempted to go farther but in and around my town, I keep it close.

I have learned over a three year ownership of flying Mavic Air and Mavic 2 pro that this an ART FORM. It is a combination, albeit very difficult, to balance both VLOS, watch out for planes, trees, wires, and composing a great shot or clip. My eyes are jumping back and forth from iPad screen to drone, and it is very disorienting at times. My solution to this dilemma has been to gradually evolve, as I noted above, to keeping it close. In my neighborhood, (South Miami), there will suddenly be a low flying aircraft (helicopter usually) out of nowhere! It might be a police search, or other law enforcement. I appreciate the wonderful videos from wide open mountain scapes and valleys. If I had that terrain, I might be tempted to go farther but in and around my town, I keep it close.

Yes- an observer would be a luxury in the case of most of us. Who in their right mind would want to do that? Maybe my wife? Nope, I guess not.

yes it is obligatory to have an observer within earshot of the pilot when using goggles to fly the drone ,but that does not improve how far the drone can be seen by the observer ,because of their size the drone is at some point going to be so small that it cant be seen with the naked eye
If you are following the law exactly the observer is only an aid the pilot in command always have to be able to see the drone

and how do you intend to do that if all you can see is the camera view in the goggles
For the use of goggles you are required to have a visual observer but the pilot in control still has to have ability of line of sight

I just read the rules last week and If I was at home I could post it

It was soooo easy for the FAA to establish 3sm as your maximum safety limit. VLOS has been defined sometime back by the FAA. Wish my eyes were on the same caliber as the hawks or eagles that fly the area as well! Bottomline: in the US of A, if you fly within the FAA definition of VLOS, you’re good, and if you go beyond that definition, you may not be telling the truth any more!

We just introduced the Air 2 Rescue jackets and realized we can get almost 2800 ft VLS when geared up with one over the lake.
The Jackets were designed for remote landing on the Water but I am seeing added the Benefit of VLS

The Rescue Jacket weighs in at 3 ounces and offer a surprising added benefit.
So much so that I might add some extra colors .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the Storm.
I am ordering the "rain" package and may consider the "rescue" package as well sometime in the future.

Yes- an observer would be a luxury in the case of most of us. Who in their right mind would want to do that? Maybe my wife? Nope, I guess not.
I don’t know anybody that would do that either I got someone to do it once and while I was flying he ended up talking to somebody else the whole time pointless

I for one think it is way too dangerous to take your eyes away from the display. Period

Your number one priority is to protect life and property. To do this you have to be able to find a balance of looking at the screen and your surroundings.
You not only have the birds, but flying over people, boats, and air craft including other drones ,kites and what ever this thing is below.

its ok when you first start flying to be hyptoized by the screen.
The same thing happens when you fire a gun , you focus on the sight but as your skills develop you learn
really quickly to get to the next level of shooter you have to learn how to keep both eyes open and still keep laser focus but be totally aware of your surroundings.

This happen yesterday, a back to the future machine came out of nowhere to sweep across the lake , where as I mind set was that I was just
getting ready to test Vlos .

Screenshot 07-01-2020 12.14.17.jpg

I had no choice but to give him the sky, as he was oblivious .

The FAA knows you have to check your aircraft stats from time to time. When you drive do you not look down to check your speed or other engine stats from time to time? People flying full sized aircraft are always scanning the skies and their stats...they look down at their instruments from time to time...even at night. The requirement as I see it is you fly in a safe as possible manner within the rules, keep aware visually of where you are in the NAS while scanning for other aircraft. With your head stuck in the screen 100% of the time, it might make it easy to fly the drone but you need to be aware of the airspace around you as well. A video screen like on our drones is like what a horse sees with blinders on. It's better than nothing but not the best solution to see and avoid manned aircraft. As far as those who say strobes are not enough to meet VLOS requirements, I can see my aircraft at much further distances than without and definately helps to find the drone after looking at my instruments.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
If you are following the law exactly the observer is only an aid the pilot in command always have to be able to see the drone

This is somewhat incorrect.The following is right from the FAA's website - Recreational Rules - rule number 5

" Keep your drone within your visual line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you. "

If you're operating under 107 the wording is different but the net effect is the same.

PART 107.31 VLOS

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

• (1) Know the unmanned aircraft’s location;
• (2) Determine the unmanned aircraft’s attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
• (3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and
• (4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

"(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in subsection (a) of this section must be exercised by either:"

• (1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or
• (2) A visual observer.

What both rule sets state is that either the PIC or the VO must have VLOS, and the only stipulation is that if the pilot is going to be looking at goggles or starring at a screen with VO in use; that pilot must, at any time during the flight; be able to cease looking at the screen and immediately fulfill part (a) of 107.31

Reactions: old man mavic
Having an observer is subjective, the observer suddenly scratches a bug in his or her and looks away and says, wait I lost it.
Then your in the same boat. Besides as often as I like to fly, why would I have to ask someone else to come along every time.
Silly to me, but that's my opinion. I try to keep it in sight and now use strobes, it helps tremendously and they are better than an observer.

Reactions: Drgnfli
This is somewhat incorrect.The following is right from the FAA's website - Recreational Rules - rule number 5

" Keep your drone within your visual line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you. "

If you're operating under 107 the wording is different but the net effect is the same.

PART 107.31 VLOS

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

• (2) Determine the unmanned aircraft’s attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
• (4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

"(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in subsection (a) of this section must be exercised by either:"

• (1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or
• (2) A visual observer.

What both rule sets state is that either the PIC or the VO must have VLOS, and the only stipulation is that if the pilot is going to be looking at goggles or starring at a screen with VO in use; that pilot must, at any time during the flight; be able to cease looking at the screen and immediately fulfill part (a) of 107.31
I pretty much agree with that but it doesn't imply that you never are allowed to look away from your aircraft w/o a spotter. These rules apply to all RC aircraft not just drones. You must be able to see the aircraft throughout the flight. Even flying fixed wing you might have to look down at your transmitter from time to time which is allowed.

PART 107.31 VLOS

• (2) A visual observer.

The last paragraph says what I said

I pretty much agree with that but it doesn't imply that you never are allowed to look away from your aircraft w/o a spotter. These rules apply to all RC aircraft not just drones. You must be able to see the aircraft throughout the flight. Even flying fixed wing you might have to look down at your transmitter from time to time which is allowed.

Thats right, you are allowed to look away for brief moments and thats kind of what I was getting at when I mentioned the pilot having the ability to regain VLOS at any time. During a normal UA flight, most pilots do this frequently.

nobody is saying that you have to stare at your drone every second its in the air,but it needs to be close enough to you to be able to see its direction and relationship with its surroundings ,while in flight, and this is not possible if its 3 or 4 thousand feet away with the naked eye or wearing glasses, its a combination of seeing the drone and looking at the drone icon on the map to determine which direction you are flying ,it always amazes me why this subject is so emotive ,and people get so wound up over the subject so much

I asked a similar question when I first joined Mavic Pilots - I was really trying to get an understanding of what "Line of Sight" really meant - and whether it was legal to fly miles away as has been done many times by those pilots doing "range tests" - lots of answers and interesting discussion here - you may find some of the comments interesting: Line of Sight ?

Reactions: Chip D
VLOS will always remain a gray area as it should , that is until life or property is involved and than the FAA will come down upon you with the most finite aspects of the law an the courts will prosecute which is one of the real reasons why laws our put in place. Common Sense is the Gray area , most of us our pretty happy with that. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky