DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WARNING - iPad Overheated and shutdown during flight

scrumphy

Reactions
I recently was boating with friends and wanted to get some cool footage of my friends boat. Planned to do hand launch and catch while we were on the water since not enough space to land on the boat safely. We had been out about 3 or 4 hours and air temp was ~102F. When we reached a nice spot on the lake, I pulled out my Mavic and did the usual set up/pre launch. I use an iPad with adaptor for my RC. Did the hand launch with no issues. Had been flying for about 8 min when out of the blue I get a warning that the iPad had overheated and then it shutdown!! Fortunately, I could see my drone and though the iPad had shutdown, the drone still responded to my commands on the sticks. I was able to visually bring it to the boat and do a rather panicked hand catch. Have not flown since. Not because I'm worried of over heating again, but just haven't had an opportunity to fly again.

Have any of you had this or something similar happen? Bad enough over land, but over water and no landing spot except for hand catch (which I had not yet done), it was a bit nerve racking to say the least!!!!

Not while flying but i have had this happen.Just keeping it in the shade works for me.If you keep it in a bag, or case leave it open with a shirt ,towel,whatever over it

Reactions: Mavman
I have this sometimes when flying in actual aeroplanes and using the iPad as an EFB. It happens. When the sun shines directly on it, it (the tablet) can get really warm and it shuts down to protect itself. Cool it in the shade, usually takes 5 minutes....

If you're flying line of sight, you don't need a tablet or a phone to fly. The TX is a complete control system totally independent of the tablet. Essentially, the tablet only provides camera control and telemetry.

Reactions: Kilrah
Thanks to all for the great advice.

I panicked and sent the iPhone 6 back because it was the last day to do so or I would have lost the $150.

I didn't know if it was worth more or not because it was from Sprint. I'm not knowledgeable in the art of used smart phones.

I think I'm going to get a mini iPad.

Thanks again!

Reactions: MarcelKoks
Have had the same problem, was able to get back home ok. Seems to be the heat from the sun on hot days. I'm a newly so learning as I go.

Had mine do it (mini 4) was goggled up so i didn't notice i until i had landed. Was out about 4000' on that flight so who knows what would have happened. Probably would have hit RTH!

Reactions: JCustoms
Yes It happened to me twice due to faulty battery in my phone. Didn't panic just brought her back with the control.

I wonder what would happen if you click on the return to home?

I recently was boating with friends and wanted to get some cool footage of my friends boat. Planned to do hand launch and catch while we were on the water since not enough space to land on the boat safely. We had been out about 3 or 4 hours and air temp was ~102F. When we reached a nice spot on the lake, I pulled out my Mavic and did the usual set up/pre launch. I use an iPad with adaptor for my RC. Did the hand launch with no issues. Had been flying for about 8 min when out of the blue I get a warning that the iPad had overheated and then it shutdown!! Fortunately, I could see my drone and though the iPad had shutdown, the drone still responded to my commands on the sticks. I was able to visually bring it to the boat and do a rather panicked hand catch. Have not flown since. Not because I'm worried of over heating again, but just haven't had an opportunity to fly again.

Have any of you had this or something similar happen? Bad enough over land, but over water and no landing spot except for hand catch (which I had not yet done), it was a bit nerve racking to say the least!!!!
I had a problem with the ipad going flat and was able to quickly attach my android phone and reconnected. All was fine for me luckily.
I didn't think it would work due to the rth settings etc but it did.

Yes It happened to me twice due to faulty battery in my phone. Didn't panic just brought her back with the control.

I wonder what would happen if you click on the return to home?
Another option if you lose tablet/phone footage is to watch the distance indicator if far away to estimate your heading.

Reactions: stratos and Kilrah
Another option if you lose tablet/phone footage is to watch the distance indicator if far away to estimate your heading.

100% agreed. Even if its a bit out of vlos you could bring it back by turning slightly and moving forward until you find the right orientation (distance reducing faster). Just climb to avoid obstacles

video feed starts to go first and then I got a CPU overload error on the iPAD next. lost total DJI GO app control but the iPad mini 4 was still running. I initiated a RTH from the controller and it came back perfectly. all onboard video was perfect.

black ipad in even 93 degree heat/sun was all it took and it was only about 5 or 6 minutes. ive had better luck with a sunshade, but I also look for shade or cooler temps now.

WOW!!!! I'm glad I hold off buying an ipad mini just to see what up.
Haven't experienced over heating on my LG G Pad Android to date and I been using this for months now.

Yup just had this issue using iPad. Lucky had line of site and the mavic 2 controller still gave out height information and drone still responded to commands. Does make you wonder about remote flights though using screen only if qualified to do so. Especially if navigating in tight area (obsticals) during inpection Also the phanton series have nothing in way of LCD on the controller so if you lost your screen during certain flights no other information available.

Yup just had this issue using iPad. Lucky had line of site and the mavic 2 controller still gave out height information and drone still responded to commands. Does make you wonder about remote flights though using screen only if qualified to do so. Especially if navigating in tight area (obsticals) during inpection Also the phanton series have nothing in way of LCD on the controller so if you lost your screen during certain flights no other information available.
Even though this thread is 2 1/2 years old... gotta say no overheating with the CrystalSky even with 5 batteries back to back and ambient temp 104F.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest