DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Watched the Air intro online

HiKen51

Reactions
So, I watched the Mavic Air intro online. Looks really cool to me. Personally I'm going to keep flying my Mavic, wait till the excitement dies down, read the forums, wait till the bugs are worked out, then probably spring for one because I like its enhanced flight capabilities, rear sensors, flying around objects, and it would be cool to carry everything in a pocket.
How about you?

I purchased the white fly more combo. They get me every time with their new drones... :)

Reactions: Espen W and HiKen51
Man, they got me. I ordered the White Standard (got the white because I’m old, figure I can see it better).

I must be crazy, I’ve owned the Mavic Pro since December 2016. Why I need another drone I’ll never know. But DJI is like Apple with their press conferences, they get me hooked.

I guess I justified the purchase in that they include the controller. Comes in at only $200 more than a Spark package with the controller.

They got me the last two times with the Mavic Pro and the Spark. The Pro was a win, the Spark was not. From close observation of the two launches I'm willing to bet that the air will be available at a discounted price before the weather gets good enough for me to use it.
Oddly enough, the Patagonia video highlighted one of my biggest DJI gripes. He actually said that one of the shots was only possible by climbing all the way up the mountain. If you think about it you can see how ridiculous that is. The drone can fly! If you want that shot, you should be able to fly the drone up and get it. But you can't! I live at the foot of a mountain, and I can't get decent shots of it because the drone won't fly there, and I've seen enough LifeFlight copters up there to know that climbing up to launch a drone is really stupid.
There is nothing illegal about flying up and over a mountain if you stay within 400' of it. So, show me that the software is getting smarter at letting you do what drones should be able to do, and I'll look again.
From what I can see the Mavic Air is what the Spark should have been. And the Spark's price is what the Air's should be.

I decided to go with the Fly More Combo since it includes extra batteries. Extra batteries are usually hard to buy for a newly released drone, so I'm assuming we'll see the same issue with the Mavic Air.

So, I watched the Mavic Air intro online. Looks really cool to me. Personally I'm going to keep flying my Mavic, wait till the excitement dies down, read the forums, wait till the bugs are worked out, then probably spring for one because I like its enhanced flight capabilities, rear sensors, flying around objects, and it would be cool to carry everything in a pocket.
How about you?

It looks cool, but I’m not liking the price point. Smaller, shorter range, shorter flight time, WiFi....For 800 bucks it was a no go for me. I would just assume save a little more or get a used Pro at that price. I think the whole carry it in your pocket thing is overrated as well. I’m lucky I haven’t broken my cellphone by carrying it in my pocket...I certainly don’t want to push it with an 800 dollar drone.

How about you?

I'm Waiting for the Mavic Pro 2.
I like the air, the rear sensors are long over due. but the camera is barely better. The chip is almost the same.
I don't want shorter flight times, and faster doesn't mean much to me.

So I will keep my Mavic Pro and wait to see if we get a better camera.

Now if I stumble into a $1000 bucks with nothing else to do with it I would consider added the air to my fleet, but for my needs it can't replace my Pro.

Mike

I decided to go with the Fly More Combo since it includes extra batteries. Extra batteries are usually hard to buy for a newly released drone, so I'm assuming we'll see the same issue with the Mavic Air.
Exactly why I went with the Fly More. It will probably be a while before spare batteries start shipping if they stay true to past history.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Exactly why I went with the Fly More. It will probably be a while before spare batteries start shipping if they stay true to past history.
That's what I did with my Mavic Pro pre-order in 2016.... then I wanted several weeks past the promised delivery date to receive it.
It was worth it. Over a year of flying later and I Love my Mavic Pro.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure