DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Way points

MARK (LI)

Reactions
What are way points ....and how are they used?...I am good with nuts and bolts...not so much with this electronic stuff....although I am catching on...are way points in the DJI FLY App?...or is is it a separate app?...Hope this doesn't really make me sound like an idiot

What are way points ....and how are they used?...I am good with nuts and bolts...not so much with this electronic stuff....although I am catching on...are way points in the DJI FLY App?...or is is it a separate app?...Hope this doesn't really make me sound like an idiot
By definition, a waypoint is an intermediate point or place on a route or line of travel, a stopping point or point at which course is changed.

In drone flying you can fly a waypoint mission following a course of waypoints that you specify.
The best and most widely used app for flying waypoint missions is Litchi.
Here's an example of using Litchi to set up a hypothetical waypoint mission to explore a section of a river.
i-rd9hMDk-L.jpg

You can move the waypoints around, set heights and speeds as well as actions to perform at waypoints.
The mission gets uploaded to the drone which will fly the mission autonomously.
You can save the mission and fly it again and again.

But some of DJI's most recent drones are currently not able to run Litchi.

There are many different uses for waypoint missions.
I've used them for monthly fly-around videos monitoring progress on a major construction project .

Last edited:
Reactions: MARK (LI)
DJI Go4 has waypoints, but I don't think they are supported in the Fly app yet (and haven't heard of plans to support them either).

Reactions: MARK (LI)