DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weird behavior at night in one specific place (MA2). Can someone understand what's happening?

Yeah, it sounds like some type of equipment that produces radio interference is being turned on at night or as said, when people are returning home from work. It could be someone with a high powered internet connection that gets turned on at night for all we know. Someone may just be using some equipment at night that produces significant radio interference.
The last two days I don't have issues, that's coincidentally when I updated the firmware, maybe it fixed it, but before that it didn't happen every day either, every 3 to 4 days. If it happens again I will really try to find a pattern!

After watching today's footage I saw that it happened today also (I was flying at 18:30) but it wasn't much, here is a screenshot, you can see by the sea level that it is not straight:

1634853410249.png

Also I saw on some other forum thread that IMU calibration may help, is that true?

Someone may just be using some equipment at night that produces significant radio interference.

Your comment reminded me of this story about a radio telescope and a microwave oven. 😃

Yeah, it sounds like some type of equipment that produces radio interference is being turned on at night or as said, when people are returning home from work. It could be someone with a high powered internet connection that gets turned on at night for all we know. Someone may just be using some equipment at night that produces significant radio interference.
Download Physphox and see what measurements you get at different times (assuming your phone has a magnetometer). That will let you know if it's an issue with RF interference or with a magnetic field (which I suspect because you mentioned compass calibration).

If it is magnetic field, you might well be able to find a place on your roof where it isn't strong (inverse square law and all that) and launch from there.

It is pretty weird, but it seems that after re-calibrating the IMU the issue is gone, didn't expect this outcome, but it seems to be the case!
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Many thanks to Robert for highlighting Phyphox -it's amazing!
Phyphox has solved a problem for me: I bought a cheap LED twin lighting set for the Phantom 4, but was unable to use it as it caused a big magnetic interference problem. Using Phyphox, I tested several small LED torches and found one that barely altered the magnetic field, whilst the kit torches were the worst offenders. Cheers for the useful link.

Reactions: Yaros
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ