DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weird wobble during hyperlapse

hypershade

Reactions
Pilots,

Can anyone advise on this weird layered wobble in my hyperlapse videos?
Doesn't look like a gimbal/wind issue, since the foreground mountains wobble differently than the background ones?

Thank you!

Looks to be slight variations in altitude showing more, or less, of the distant mountains. This would explain why the foreground changes less.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Pilots,

Can anyone advise on this weird layered wobble in my hyperlapse videos?
Doesn't look like a gimbal/wind issue, since the foreground mountains wobble differently than the background ones?

Thank you!
I'm pretty sure that's the Rolling Shutter effect. Electronic Rolling shutters read the sensors at a slower rate than many mechanical shutters. Slow enough that any slight movement in your drone from turbulence or vibration will cause movement to be recorded from millisecond to millisecond.

I'm pretty sure that's the Rolling Shutter effect. Electronic Rolling shutters read the sensors at a slower rate than many mechanical shutters. Slow enough that any slight movement in your drone from turbulence or vibration will cause movement to be recorded from millisecond to millisecond.
Under normal circumstances I would agree but in this case it was a Hyperlapse. The rolling shutter would have affected the foreground too.

As said above this is the drones altitude changing. I have tried hyperlapse and Timelapse many times & I’m of the opinion you have to chose yr scene carefully. Timelapse really needs a tripod, fixed eye point. With hyperlapse (where the eye point is moving) it’s less noticeable because eveything is moving. One point to watch for is don’t have anything in the foreground which would exaggerate the parallax errors. Time lapse with a drone, it’s best if the scene is all at infinity.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
  • Thank you, for the feedback.
  • To me this doe snot look like the stereotypical artefacts of rolling shutter. I might be wrong though. Also, does rolling shutter affect timelapses, since the interval was set to 1 picture every 3 seconds? It looks more like a dodgy wrap stabilizer effect.
  • I purposely add foreground elements as a compositional preference to create depth and leading lines in the frame. It would be a bummer of I have to avoid this.
  • I have done moving hyperlapses as well, and the problem exists there as well.
  • If is the change in altitude, why are the foreground mountains wobbling at the different rate than the ones in the background?
  • Most important question: how can I avoid this wobble, because they make my timelapses unusable for professional use.
  • Thank you!

I do a lot of sunset timelapses. This is definitely altitude changes and parallax due to being closer to the foreground. Wind can and does cause rising and falling. I can tell the drone was in some pretty good currents up there. If you could move a little left from that foreground peak it would be much less noticeable. Nice shot and beautiful location, by the way.

Stretch out your arm, stick yr thump straight up, and place it against a window (so it stays stationary). Then look at the top of yr thumb and observe a distant point. All nicely aligned. Now just slightly lower your eye point (bow yr head or crouch down a little) and notice how the distant point is now blocked by your thumb. Just raise and lower your eye point and see how the thumb and distant object move relative to each other (neither actually moved, just yr eye point). This is the same as the wobble your seeing, foreground relative to back ground. Unfortunately, Timelapse must have a fixed eye point whereas it’s less noticeable with hyperlapse. Here’s the same problem for a sunrise with as much stabilizing in post as I could.

All right - thank you. I'll move the camera/drone in the future then when doing hyperlapses.

Typical drone hyperlapse. The one peak is in the foreground. Thats what altitude deviations look like in flight. If it were completly smooth air it wouldn't be so noticeable, but the drone is not the ideal mount for hyperlapses.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki