DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you do to fix fuzzy 7x photos?

Hi, yes i shoot in DNG, process in Capture 23 Pro. The DNGs from the wide lens and the m43 sensor are spectacular in Capture One. Just amazing. The color rendition from zoom is definitely less appealing and less sharp. I have tried different sharpening settings but you can't get detail that is not there to begin with if the lens is not sharp. I had decentering problem with expensive Zeiss 35/1.4 FE and it was never quite sharp. Sony 35/1.4 GM is super sharp and this reminds me the issue with M3 tele. I spent almost 3k USD on the flymore combo and feel like I got only half my money's worth.
I returned 2 Cine versions both having terrible lens issues on both cameras. Areas of the frame badly soft. After the bad experience with Cine I went for normal Mavic 3 and first non Cine has been a keeper. Both cameras are reasonably good. Not perfect but at least capable of producing acceptable result. With magic of CaptureOne v.23 I can make photos I am reasonably happy with and confident to show to my clients.
I am fully aware of lens manufacturing variation, regardless of brand. But if your WA or 7x tele produces unacceptable IQ, I reckon that you should demand a replacement unit and keep replacing until you find one you'll be happy with. We are paying top dollars for this drone and we should not be expected to settle for a faulty or flawed product.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
My images on 7x are nowhere as sharp. Unless you step back 10 feet from monitor. ... I just got back home and have not had a chance to test the 7x on a chart on the wall. However, looking at these results i did not get anything as sharp so I think I need to have it checked out. This is common with camera lenses where people have had bad samples.
I wouldn't bee so quick to assume the lens is the problem.
You can get great and not-so-great images from the tele camera in the same shoot.
That's because there are a number of factors (apart from the lens) that can affect your image sharpness.
Camera and subject movement and shutter speed are big ones, lighting and atmospheric conditions too.
I get great images from mine, but I also get some that are just mush.
But with more practice, I'm getting more good shots with it (and some that just don't cut it).
Here are some examples from the last few days shooting.
DJI_0642a-X3.jpg

DJI_0128a-X3.jpg

DJI_0932aa-X3.jpg

DJI_0904a-X3.jpg

DJI_0848a-X3.jpg

And to finish off, here are some thoughts on lens sharpness and how it's not as important as many think:

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I wouldn't bee so quick to assume the lens is the problem.
You can get great and not-so-great images from the tele camera in the same shoot.
That's because there are a number of factors (apart from the lens) that can affect your image sharpness.
Camera and subject movement and shutter speed are big ones, lighting and atmospheric conditions too.
I get great images from mine, but I also get some that are just mush.
But with more practice, I'm getting more good shots with it (and some that just don't cut it).
Here are some examples from the last few days shooting.
DJI_0642a-X3.jpg

DJI_0128a-X3.jpg

DJI_0932aa-X3.jpg

DJI_0904a-X3.jpg

DJI_0848a-X3.jpg

And to finish off, here are some thoughts on lens sharpness and how it's not as important as many think:
Indeed! From your link:

"The biggest barrier to sharpness is our atmosphere! Even at reasonable distances, heat shimmer is so magnified by long tele lenses that it's often a big barrier to sharpness. Fog and haze at long distances doesn't help, either. Long teles are subject to the same things that vex astronomers, which are called "seeing conditions."

"A sharp photo needs good lighting, clear air, getting the subjects to sit in the plane of best focus, and an imaginative photographer. Depth-of-field, imperfect focus and subject and camera motion are the major reasons photos are rarely as sharp as they could be. Lens imperfections almost never matter in real photography."

Flying drones carrying the camera only magnify the issues necessary for a sharp image. It's usually the craftsman, not the tool.

Reactions: Meta4
One more poignant quote from Ken:

"Waste too much time worrying about corner sharpness and you'll die young."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas