DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What kind of private or revealing data, if any is embedded in the video (mp4, mov, other) files?

ff22

Reactions
The still images taken by the Zoom contain geo-location data which can reveal where the picture was taken including my back yard. When posting I have to admit I would rather this information not be included and I know how to strip it. Actually, I don't know if there's any other coded data that DJI stores in the file that can tie an image to me or my drone (like supposedly, Printers might tag onto printed output)?

So, I was wondering if there's similar "exif" type data in any of the video files produced by the drone. While I took a quick peek, the files are rather large and that type of info could be stored anywhere in the file.

Thanks in advance for feeding or ignoring the tin-foil type! (g)

You know it's amazing how people on the internet, social media or saving every and anything to the cloud on some server somewhere in the world which a lot of software developers are trying to go,think it's cool or great too be sharing or doing such things but yet worry about privacy, data mining, put your trust in something or someone that is out of your control or getting caught doing something bad or breaking a law.
Herein is the answer to those questions.
Keep your business to yourself and you'll have less things to worry about.
DoD

Last edited:
Reactions: Burk
So, I was wondering if there's similar "exif" type data in any of the video files produced by the drone.
Video files don't have any equivalent of the exif info.

Reactions: ff22
Hello,

On this site, you can upload your video file and it will return all the metadata it contains (of course it also works for photos):

Online exif data viewer

(If you trust the site, I mean)

Reactions: ff22
Hello,

On this site, you can upload your video file and it will return all the metadata it contains (of course it also works for photos):

Online exif data viewer

(If you trust the site, I mean)

Thanks. Ah, yes, the two edge sword! Thanks for the link. I might give it a try. For photos, I use Irfanview to both look at and strip out the metadata, well, the obvious metadata. I will guess that there's someone, somwhere, that is working on adding new but encrypted metadata. If they already haven't.

But, yes, I know much less about video files/formats which triggered the question. At one time I had some program that could scan a hex file and present sequences of maybe 3 or 4 characters that were readable ascii text making it a bit easier to find such embedded text. Don't remember the program or platform.

So, again, thanks.

exiftool is your friend to get / modify / strip all metadata on both stills and videos.

This is all good advice but remember this everyone. All "online servers" no matter what data it will process "keeps a copy" of what it did and many times where this data came from.
My best advice to give you is this.
-Become a asset to yourself, research,understand and learn.Get the knowledge that you seek and with this knowledge come power. In this world of IT, there is a a lot of "cloch and dagger"..
-Keep things local that is under your control
-And when going to the table to bargin only bargin with those who have just as much as you to lose.

Last edited:
If you wash your footage through After Effects (why aren't you) / Premiere, then render, any possibility of data is wiped

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer