DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When is DJI going to release apk for drones that work offline without need to update/activate in light of the Trade War escalations

adiru

Reactions
First Huawei, now hikvision ban, maybe later DJI will also get banned by the US in the trade war escalation. The DHS already came out of the woodworks and hinted at such....

We know that US has forbade Google from allowing any android apps on the new Huawei Mate 30 smartphones, if DJI gets a similiar type of ban, wouldn't all DJI drones instantly become worthless, useless, paperweight?

What is DJI doing in terms of planning for a worst case contingency scenario to allow its pre-existing customers to be able to have some sembleance of ability to continue to fly their purchased drones after a US ban on DJI, or is DJI just going to say too bad to all the folks that purchased their drones?

What is concerning to me is that I cannot get a DJI GO app to work without having Google account... if you go on any apk repository like apkupdate or apkpure, if you download the DJI Go apkx it would install but won't actually launch. My guess is DJI did this on purpose to have more 'control' over their app system. Which is more or less fine in normal times, but we do not any longer live in "normal" times... In the day and age when US gov can willy nilly ban any Chinese related firm at will and all US companies are forced to comply, we might as drone owners find ourselves with expensive DJI paperweights when Google is forced to have android block all DJI apps, and without DJI making the ability to install via apk we the consumers are going to get shafted from BOTH ends...

SO again, the question is What is DJI doing in terms of planning for a worst case contingency scenario to allow its pre-existing customers to be able to have some sembleance of ability to continue to fly their purchased drones after a US ban on DJI, or is DJI just going to say too bad to all the folks that purchased their drones?

I don’t understand how I won’t be able to use my DJI drone should DJI be banned? I have Go 4 on my IOS mini iPad, WiFi turned off, no connection to DJI servers as I use a lockout app, and I fly like that all the time. Are you saying because of the ban, Apple will be forced to disable the Go 4 app? Not sure how. I can completely isolate my iPad from the outside world. What am I missing here?

Last edited:
maybe later DJI will also get banned by the US in the trade war escalation.
And maybe they won't.
Your are getting anxious about something that might not happen and over which you have no control.
What is DJI doing in terms of planning for a worst case contingency scenario to allow its pre-existing customers to be able to have some sembleance of ability to continue to fly their purchased drones after a US ban on DJI, or is DJI just going to say too bad to all the folks that purchased their drones?

So again, the question is What is DJI doing in terms of planning for a worst case contingency scenario to allow its pre-existing customers to be able to have some sembleance of ability to continue to fly their purchased drones after a US ban on DJI, or is DJI just going to say too bad to all the folks that purchased their drones?
If you really want to know, you need to ask DJI.

I've side loaded an APK of Go app when Google Play was slow to release it, no issues. Granted I did have a previous version installed that was obtained from Play but I doubt that mattered.

When DJI had a serious bug on Go 3, they sent me a beta APK to try.

Perhaps you downloaded a bad copy of APK or a version that wasn't compatible for your system. Another reason it might not have run is that the security default is not to run or at least install apps from outside sources.

Even when you install Go, you have to log onto your DJI account at least once. You definitely need to do so to activate your quad.

Looks like the DJI listened to my advice, they have now released and provided for direct download the .apk versions of all their drones without need for Google Play or an Google account

Looks like the DJI listened to my advice, they have now released and provided for direct download the .apk versions of all their drones without need for Google Play or an Google account
DJI offered that possibility long time ago. That is not a new feature.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000