DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When to change the propellors?

flyingmachine

Reactions
Hello,

Ive been flying for the past couple of months, about 200 flights. Im wondering, how often do you change out your propellors? If its based on condition, what do you look for?

Ive replaced them when there was a knick that you could feel. But I also see a tiny bit of orange removed from the tips in some cases. Doesnt seem to be physically damaged.

@flyingmachine there have been many many threads on this subject over the years
and you will get a plethora of different opinions and thoughts on the subject
its really only a decision that you yourself can make at the end of the day
there are so many variables that contribute to prop wear and tear, all you can do is whats best for you ,just telling you like it is no offence meant

I only change them when there's obvious damage. Like after a crash or near crash. But that's pretty rare, and I've had them last for years. The ones on my old original mavic pro are probably 3-4 years old and still work fine.

The question I ask, ( as very new newbie ) what sort of performance differences would you notice in the drone when a propeller has damage that would require the changing of the blade?

Any damage is going to be obvious on the blade. Also blades are super cheap so don't be afraid to keep extras in your kit.

Obviously broken blades need replacement. Look to make sure the blades aren’t distorted and that the leading edges are smooth like when new. Also make sure when installed the do not have vertical play at the motors, especially Minis that get screwed down. If you get dings on the leading edges of your props you can often smooth these with a nail file if you’re handy. If you don’t feel confident doing that just change them. I prefer, on Minus to change in pairs.

I replaced all my OEM blades with Master airscew blades. They recommend change at 500 hours. Don’t know if I would wait that long.
Regards

DJI's recommendation (I believe their support people have quoted this in their forums, not sure if it is published in any manuals) is to change them after 200 flights. Seems like flights wouldn't be the best metric to use (as opposed to hours, revolutions or something) but it is at least something to think about.

As noted, you'll see via visual inspection most damage, but I do suspect they experience some fatigue over their life span. Don't know that I would go crazy trying to change them before flight 201, but since they are cheap enough, might be something to consider in the next hundred flights or so.

Any damage is going to be obvious on the blade. Also blades are super cheap so don't be afraid to keep extras in your kit.
I did order 2 full sets. And coincidentally right when I received it I tapped some tree canopy. It wasnt clear if all the props actually hit the tree but one of the props had a nick. The other 3 had a little orange paint wear at the tips but no damage I could notice.

I changed all 4 out but thought 2-3 of them might be ok but wasnt sure.

In my RC airplane days when I was younger, poorer and dumber, I've flow with propellers that have scrapped up or chipped tips, but that's definitely not recommended. Personally, any damage beyond extremely minor superficial leading edge ding would get a change from me, and on top of that once a year or roughly 200 flights, whichever is first, even if they look and feel new.

Propellers are cheap and a drone with a propeller malfunction is not going to glide like a RC plane, it will be very expensive.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50