DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When will someone make an Anti-RID transmission module you can put on your drone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenBrodsky

Reactions
We know there are many who don't like RID. I think it would be rather easy to make a low powered ANTI-RID transmission device that is placed on the drone itself.. A device that would just interfere with the RID output signal only, coming from a drone with pre-installed RID. The Drone would still think the drone's RID is functioning, but unknown to the drone, the signal doesn't make it past the signal interference module. I believe it can be made in such a way as not to interfere with the RC/UAV transmissions. Just interfere with the RID transmitter. Has anyone heard of such a device?

• Sad
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Why would business manufacture a device whose sole purpose was to render the flying of the drone illegal. Unless american laws are stupid I wouldn't be surprised to find that such a manufacturer was opening themselves to some serious penalties.

Last edited:
We know there are many who don't like RID. I think it would be rather easy to make a low powered ANTI-RID transmission device that is placed on the drone itself.. A device that would just interfere with the RID output signal only, coming from a drone with pre-installed RID. The Drone would still think the drone's RID is functioning, but unknown to the drone, the signal doesn't make it past the signal interference module. I believe it can be made in such a way as not to interfere with the RC/UAV transmissions. Just interfere with the RID transmitter. Has anyone heard of such a device?

It doesn't matter what the drone "thinks." The pilot in command is solely responsible for complying with the regulations regarding RID. Regardless of the device or method the pilot used to avoid transmitting, they would still be in violation.

The drone is immune from prosecution in all scenarios.

We know there are many who don't like RID. I think it would be rather easy to make a low powered ANTI-RID transmission device that is placed on the drone itself.. A device that would just interfere with the RID output signal only, coming from a drone with pre-installed RID.

Two reasons:
  • First and foremost, that's not how radio works. To interfere with the signal, you have to jam it at the receiver. A powerful signal near the transmitter can interfere if it's strong enough to be picked up by traces on the motherboard, but the transmit power and necessary battery could not be carried by a consumer sized drone.
  • It's illegal. Any attempt to sell something like this, regardless of how it works, as part of a legitimate business, would very quickly be shut down.
The plans for RID have much more to do with future automated flights and airspace management than finding and harassing recreational pilots.

A simple Arduino based device could easily do it (Thats how an RID spoofer is made) BUT The problem is, All that legal stuff that stops one from doing it!!!
If your Drone was Manufactured with RID it is illegal to disable it. You also cannot down Grade your firmware to defeat the rule. SO we are just all stuck with RID

Why would business manufacture a device whose sole purpose was to render the flying of the drone illegal. Unless american laws are stupid I wouldn't be surprised to find that such a manufacturer was opening themselve to some serious penalties.
In America, where we have freedom, companies are free to make whatever they want and last I checked, there was no law against making a device that jams RID signals. It might be illegal to jam the signal but it wouldn't be illegal to buy, sell, and/or possess the device unless a law was passed stopping retailers. In America, we have lots of companies that make jamming devices for all types of equipment, some legal, some illegal. Very few of them pay the price. You have to be jamming something pretty significant like cellphones or radios to get their attention.

But here is an example of one: https://caselaw.findlaw.com/court/us-10th-circuit/1281349.html

If you aren't doing anything wrong like flying in a manner that is illegal or where you don't belong, there is no reason to give RID any thought at all
Unfortunately some people are irrational and don't want their details being transmitted. They believe once they purchase a piece of kit, they own it (and everything on the inside) and therefore they can determine what they will do with it and that includes turning off or blocking the RID transmitting. I don't agree with that but there may be a small number of people do and therefore there may be a small market for this for now. It may grow in the future as drones and RID become more relevant but if I saw an RID blocker for sale, I would buy it and keep it for a rainy day; never know when you might need it. I will list some ideas in a different post why I would want one.

It's like tinted windows. Keeps the heat out but sometimes people don't want to be seen even though they aren't doing anything wrong.

A simple Arduino based device could easily do it

Nope.

(Thats how an RID spoofer is made)

Yep.

The reason why it won't work is you have to stop the RID signal from being received at the receiver – the RC.

Even a 100W transmitter riding on the drone won't make any difference 1000ft away at the RC location... The drone is still transmitting RID at something like ½W, and the RC is going to be able to pluck that signal out, no problem.

The 100W jammer on the drone very well might keep the drone from receiving the control signals from your RC, however, making it unflyable. Maybe even unable to connect to the RC.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Here are a few example reason why someone would want to have a device that would block my RID in my current drone (roughly, please don't nitpick; "I" is not me):

1.I plan to legally fly my current drone in a FRIA and I don't want my details to be broadcast.
2.I plan to take my drone to a foreign country that does not require RID and I don't want my details to broadcast to the locals when I fly legally.
3.I plan to legally fly inside a big big stadium and I don't want my RID to be captured by the stadium workers.
4.I have a friend who doesn't care about the law and if he wants to borrow mine, I wouldn't mind loaning it to him.
5.In the event of martial law, I may need it; never know.
6.If one day the FAA says never mind, RID doesn't work like we intended, we're moving on to something else.....

If you aren't doing anything wrong like flying in a manner that is illegal or where you don't belong, there is no reason to give RID any thought at all

I disagree.

As airspace under 400ft becomes more and more crowded with commercial autonomous flights, RID will become increasingly important for collision avoidance and other necessary airspace management to maintain safety.

You don't have to be doing anything wrong for RID to be very necessary.

Manned aircraft (with a few, irrelevant exceptions) are required to carry a transponder in controlled airspace, and squawk whatever ident code they're instructed to by ATC.

Surely everyone here agrees with these legal requirements, and support the purpose of that transponder. Right?

Same reason essentially for RID.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMann

I disagree.

As airspace under 400ft becomes more and more crowded with commercial autonomous flights, RID will become increasingly important for collision avoidance and other necessary airspace management to maintain safety.

Manned aircraft (with a few, irrelevant exceptions) are required to carry a transponder in controlled airspace, and squawk whatever ident code they're instructed to by ATC.

Surely everyone here agrees with these legal requirements, and support the purpose of that transponder. Right?

I agree with what you’re saying and have updated my Mavic 2 pros to be RID compliant , but I guess I read Mark’s comment differently. I thought he meant why worry about blocking your drone from transmitting RID if you’re following the rules?

Here are a few example reason why someone would want to have a device that would block my RID in my current drone (roughly, please don't nitpick; "I" is not me):

1.I plan to legally fly my current drone in a FRIA and I don't want my details to be broadcast.
2.I plan to take my drone to a foreign country that does not require RID and I don't want my details to broadcast to the locals when I fly legally.
3.I plan to legally fly inside a big big stadium and I don't want my RID to be captured by the stadium workers.
4.I have a friend who doesn't care about the law and if he wants to borrow mine, I wouldn't mind loaning it to him.
5.In the event of martial law, I may need it; never know.
6.If one day the FAA says never mind, RID doesn't work like we intended, we're moving on to something else.....

All the concerns about the public having access to your live location are entirely justified, and it continues to be outrageous that this is the case - they'll fall over themselves backwards to protect the 'privacy' of the miscellaneous general public, but will happily sell ours down the river to anyone who wants to look or track us down and steal our stuff...

4 and 5 are probably both a bit sillier - why would you possibly consider lending your drone to someone you knew didn't care about laws ? It's your ID on it, and you could be held partly or wholly accountable for his recklessness !

6 probably wouldn't be an issue - if a country stops requiring it, firmware updates should allow it to be turned off - even now my M4P can do Remote ID but doesn't because it doesn't have to (yet). Of course that may not apply if your government's political paranoia prevents DJI updates any time soon.

Attaching a subversion device to the drone itself is asking for trouble, like if the police compel you to land for any reason they will find it unless you are very quick off the mark, the thing is instantly removable and they are particularly unobservant ! At least if you are going to do that have it in your pocket, and find a solution that spoofs it not by blocking signals but by inventing 100's more, not that I would ever condone such behaviour.

Last edited:
All the concerns about the public having access to your live location are entirely justified, and it continues to be outrageous that this is the case - they'll fall over themselves backwards to protect the 'privacy' of the miscellaneous general public, but will happily sell ours down the river to anyone who wants to look or track us down and steal our stuff...

4 and 5 are probably both a bit sillier - why would you possibly consider lending your drone to someone you knew didn't care about laws ? It's your ID on it, and you could be held partly or wholly accountable for his recklessness !

6 probably wouldn't be an issue - if a country stops requiring it, firmware updates should allow it to be turned off - even now my M4P can do Remote ID but doesn't because it doesn't have to (yet). Of course that may not apply if your government's political paranoia prevents DJI updates any time soon.

Attaching a subversion device to the drone itself is asking for trouble, like if the police compel you to land for any reason they will find it unless you are very quick off the mark, the thing is instantly removable and they are particularly unobservant ! At least if you are going to do that have it in your pocket, and find a solution that spoofs it not by blocking signals but by inventing 100's more, not that I would ever condone such behaviour.
Lending my "jammer" not the drone. I don't know if the person I lend the device to really cares about the law or not, if someone wants to borrow it, depend on who they are. Could be a relative, a friend...maybe I'm going to sell it them; not sure I really care about their views. It won't have my name on it and unlike some of the other posters here, there are no [self] moral questions about whether you should lend your legal equipment to someone else or not. Everybody breaks the law at some point with their drone (I don't consider them bad), doesn't mean you can't give your cellphone to someone if you've seen them talking on it while driving thru a school zone. The law is not going to come and find the cellphone owner after pulling over the driver....c'mon, we gotta stop making these "drone crimes" into major crimes. Let's say there is a credit card transaction somewhere in the system that says I legally bought the device and I gave it to a friend and he flys at 450 feet AGL....am I culpable?

Another example is when the police pull you over (force you to land your car) and they see the subversive radar detector (legal in your state) in the windshield and they try to tie to some sort of interference or obstruction charge....even when you are driving at the speed limit (or as mentioned earlier in this thread, haven't broken any drone rules). This is so overrated; now I want one. :p

Still waiting for someone to tell me what happens when you are flying your drone and your beacon battery dies in flight and you don't know and you keep flying for the next 30 minutes. Let's here about the crimes you are committing. :D

I disagree.

That is what I am talking about....if you are flying legally....why would you even think about RID?...The only reason to want to shut it off, would be if you want to fly in a place where you should not be

Lending my "jammer" not the drone. I don't know if the person I lend the device to really cares about the law or not, if someone wants to borrow it, depend on who they are. Could be a relative, a friend...maybe I'm going to sell it them; not sure I really care about their views. It won't have my name on it and unlike some of the other posters here, there are no [self] moral questions about whether you should lend your legal equipment to someone else or not. Everybody breaks the law at some point with their drone (I don't consider them bad), doesn't mean you can't give your cellphone to someone if you've seen them talking on it while driving thru a school zone. The law is not going to come and find the cellphone owner after pulling over the driver....c'mon, we gotta stop making these "drone crimes" into major crimes. Let's say there is a credit card transaction somewhere in the system that says I legally bought the device and I gave it to a friend and he flys at 450 feet AGL....am I culpable?

Another example is when the police pull you over (force you to land your car) and they see the subversive radar detector (legal in your state) in the windshield and they try to tie to some sort of interference or obstruction charge....even when you are driving at the speed limit (or as mentioned earlier in this thread, haven't broken any drone rules). This is so overrated; now I want one. :p

Still waiting for someone to tell me what happens when you are flying your drone and your beacon battery dies in flight and you don't know and you keep flying for the next 30 minutes. Let's here about the crimes you are committing. :D
I realize that you are a very active participant on this forum, and I have been entertained by some of your posts....but with all respect...I have to ask.....how do you come up with some of this stuff that you post?

Reactions: AZDave
I realize that you are a very active participant on this forum, and I have been entertained by some of your posts....but with all respect...I have to ask.....how do you come up with some of this stuff that you post?
Because it's so similar to most other things in life, I'm shocked and surprised that the drone community chooses to revisit and re-fight and re-discuss the same battles that have already been confronted and won in so many other areas. I find the resistance and the ambivalence and apathy to be baffling. Sometimes I don't get why so many are accepting of whatever comes their way. I guess I post alot because I'd rather at least try to head some of this off since I honestly see the outlook on consumer drones going in the wrong direction.

Everybody breaks the law at some point with their drone (I don't consider them bad), doesn't mean you can't give your cellphone to someone if you've seen them talking on it while driving thru a school zone. The law is not going to come and find the cellphone owner after pulling over the driver....c'mon, we gotta stop making these "drone crimes" into major crimes.
Not really a fair analogy - your lent phone can't lose GPS for some reason, fly off into the middle distance and land on some poor granny's head from 400 ft up ! But anyway, fair play about point 4 - I thought you meant lend the drone to someone who you knew was going to do something illegal with it !

Last edited:
Reactions: mavic3usa
Unfortunately some people are irrational and don't want their details being transmitted.
I have a Plate on my car with numbers on it. The Government can gather no more info from that than they can by simply looking at my record. Why would they want too! They have enough on their hands with all those kids and their Rock and Roll. As long as I'm not plowing thru the parade OR pulling a bender with the help of my car Why worry that I have a number on it? If your RID number is read by someone else... Never fear! Your credit Card won't be maxed out and The "Real" owner of Your Home won't be knocking at your door soon. It is simply a number that the Government can use as a Database for your Drone.....IF you break the rules! and only if.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I agree with what you’re saying and have updated my Mavic 2 pros to be RID compliant , but I guess I read Mark’s comment differently. I thought he meant why worry about blocking your drone from transmitting RID if you’re following the rules?

Ah, I can see that way of reading it too. So I guess I don't disagree... 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: MARK (LI) and AMann
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member