DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where to buy what I want.....???

1Deerwhacker

Reactions
Hello everyone.
I am brand new to this forum, and somewhat new to drones, but have 20-plus years of Radio Control Aircraft experience. (planes, copters, and even a few boats)
R/C is nothing new to me, but drones kinda are.
I have enjoyed playing with some entry-level "toy" drones, (mostly due to having grandchildren) and can fly them reasonably well. I live in a rural area on 18 acres that I own, so I am fortunate to be able to walk out the door here at home, and fly whenever I wish. Probably the most difficult thing i've found so far with drones is actually setting things up to fly. Most of my experience has been "plug and play", so far, but from what i've read, it seems that what I want is going to require some detailed setup. I dont have a problem with this, as long as it doesn't require a physics degree. (Sarcasm)

I have decided its time to step up to the plate and purchase a higher-end drone, and am set on either the Mavic 2 Zoom, or the Mavic 2 Pro. I would like to buy a COMPLETE package (fly-more, DJI Goggles, etc.) in one transaction. I know i am looking at around $2K or more, but I am more than willing to shell out the cash in the name of fun. I have crashed (or lost) expensive R/C aircraft before, and while this not my goal with a new drone, I am realistic about the possibility. I don't exactly have money growing on trees, but budget is not a huge concern, as I am older, retired, and established.

Can someone here tell me if, and where, I can buy the total package (goggles, extra batteries and all) in ONE transaction from ONE vendor at a fair price ?
Refurbished is definitely out......I want what I buy to work right the first time, with no hassles, and in the past, refurbished things have NOT been good to me.
Any suggestions that anyone here could throw my way would be appreciated !

A

Why not buy a second hand M2P/Z? They are generally a lot cheaper than new, and it the UK market is anything to go by there are a fair few low flight time drones for sale, even unactivateds. And, bought through the likes of ebay, you have a reasonable degree of protection against mis described items, or at least you do in the UK, I have sent an excellent P3 back because of stress cracks that were not metioned.
"Refurbished" puts me right off as I want to know why and what was replaced etc..

Hello everyone.
I am brand new to this forum, and somewhat new to drones, but have 20-plus years of Radio Control Aircraft experience. (planes, copters, and even a few boats)
I have enjoyed playing with some entry-level "toy" drones, (mostly due to having grandchildren) and can fly them reasonably well. I live in a rural area on 18 acres that I own, so I am fortunate to be able to walk out the door here at home, and fly whenever I wish. Probably the most difficult thing i've found so far with drones is actually setting things up to fly. Most of my experience has been "plug and play", so far, but from what i've read, it seems that what I want is going to require some detailed setup. I dont have a problem with this, as long as it doesn't require a physics degree. (Sarcasm)

I have decided its time to step up to the plate and purchase a higher-end drone, and am set on either the Mavic 2 Zoom, or the Mavic 2 Pro. I would like to buy a COMPLETE package (fly-more, DJI Goggles, etc.) in one transaction. I know i am looking at around $2K or more, but I am more than willing to shell out the cash in the name of fun. I have crashed (or lost) expensive R/C aircraft before, and while this not my goal with a new drone, I am realistic about the possibility. I don't exactly have money growing on trees, but budget is not a huge concern, as I am older, retired, and established.

Can someone here tell me if, and where, I can buy the total package (goggles, extra batteries and all) in ONE transaction from ONE vendor at a fair price ?
Refurbished is definitely out......I want what I buy to work right the first time, with no hassles, and in the past, refurbished things have NOT been good to me.

A

I get all my stuff from amazon. Never ever had a problem. Good luck and let us know how you are doing with whatever vendor that you decided on

Reactions: TreeHugger
Why not buy a second hand M2P/Z? They are generally a lot cheaper than new, and it the UK market is anything to go by there are a fair few low flight time drones for sale, even unactivateds.
Some people just like the peace of mind. OP is clearly not constrained much by budget, he's got 18 acres of private land, that's 10 football pitches in the UK. I think he can afford some new toys ;)

For the OP, I don't live in the US, so I can't answer your question directly. If I were you, I'd either order off the official DJI website (if all or most of the items you want are from DJI) or go to a big electronics store that stocks everything you want. The idea is to reduce hassle and give you somewhere obvious to go if something goes wrong. It saves you tracking down different shops for different items.

As I said, I don't know the shops in the US. Here's the DJI official store, in case you choose to go down that path.

Reactions: TreeHugger
Sounds like a good plan! My first recommendation would be to skip the googles and upgrade the controller to DJI's Smart Controller. When you buy a package, that will set you back about $500 (purchased alone, about $750. The reason I suggest this, instead of goggles, is based on how most people use the Mavic 2, and that is firstly as a camera platform for both stills and video. The SC is more convenient and quicker to set up than a controller and smart phone (or other display).

If you have photography experience, both the M2P and Z will be easier to learn, as that's half of it, maybe not to fly around and have fun, but to truly get the best you can out of the excellent camera on the P.

I second the Mavic 2 Zoom and Smart Controller with the Fly more Setup and Amazon as your place of purchase:

Being in Ohio I also recommend you get the Wet Suit so you dont fear the rain/snow. The Zoom has some nice touches for those of that want some amazing pictures without the hassle of editing . The zoom Feature itself is a lot of fun and can be very functional. Keep it plug and play and simple and than just enjoy it. No phone, no googles, no cords .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mav 2 in the rain.

I’m not sure the complete package idea is the route to take. You don’t need a bunch of batteries right off the bat. You can buy those after you decide whether you like your new flying camera. You have plenty of rc experience and that itself is a big plus. There is some setup time involved, but certainly not difficult. If you can run an iPhone, you can set up a DJI product. There are some that say DJI runs better with Apple products and I tend to agree with that. I’m not good with Android. If you are Apple smart, go with the mini5 for a screen device. Skip the goggles and the lawn chair for now.
New or used, they fly the same. Sure, if you buy a used one that some seller wasn’t honest about, that can be a problem.
Zoom or Pro?? I couldn’t decide either. I have both. The picture quality on the pro is the selling point for that one, but the zoom is a great feature for following critters from a distance.
Take your time. Plenty of information available on this forum.

Last edited:
One thing to bear in mind about goggles is their fit, try and find a shop with a demonstration set and try them on your head, bear in mind a demo pair may have a different weight and weight distribution from a real pair.
I have seen multiple posts about people 'having' to make modifications to get a good fit that feels comfortable and secure. I had to remove the forehead bracket from my DJI white ones. Yes they have their uses but to be honest I have probably only used mine about a dozen times in a year's ownership, of course other people may use their's far more than I use mine.
Another consideration is whether you will need correction lenses, I could do with some, the screen isn't quite in focus for me but I have yet to work out what adjustments I need and get the appropriate lenses.

Purchase from dji. The prices includes shipping and taxes. What you see is what you pay and then you start building up credit towards other products.

Amazon is my go to for everything except drones..Go to the DJI store. You won't get a better price anywhere and they have everything! except wetsuits..see Phantomrain for that

I left off the .org
I don't even own an umbrella so you know I'm not about to go out in the rain ...but it never rains here anyway.

Hello everyone.

A

Welcome to the Forums!

As has been mentioned - Amazon + DJI + B&H
Don't know if you can get it all in one fell swoop unless you go with DJI directly.

Another vote for B & H , and not just because they a procedure for giving you a credit equivalent to the sales tax.

Why not buy a second hand M2P/Z? They are generally a lot cheaper than new, and it the UK market is anything to go by there are a fair few low flight time drones for sale, even unactivateds. And, bought through the likes of ebay, you have a reasonable degree of protection against mis described items, or at least you do in the UK, I have sent an excellent P3 back because of stress cracks that were not metioned.
"Refurbished" puts me right off as I want to know why and what was replaced etc..

While I understand your concern and perspective, I can tell you as one who bought a "refurbished" M2 Pro, I couldn't be happier. To be honest, there is no way in packaging, cosmetics, function, warranty that one wouldn't know that what I received wasn't a "brand new" unit. I had a similar experience with a Canon 5D Mark III refurb, except the DJI packaging was no different than new packaging. FWIW I bought mine from an authorized retailer with a separate fly more kit and ended up saving $500 total. I would encourage anyone deciding between used and refurb to go the refurb route. JMO.

As for the OP's desire to buy goggles... While I get the concept and presumed thrill of the immersive experience I would advise to wait for that purchase for a few reasons. 1) As soon as you put goggles on you lose VLOS (visual line of sight reference) which would immediately place you at odds with FAA rules. 2) A Mavic 2 has much more capability than one of those toy drones and IMO it will take a bit of time and practice before someone is ready for goggles. 2a) A Mavic 2 can move very fast and can get into trouble equally fast that one might not recognize when wearing goggles. 3) There are going to be times, probably more times than you can imagine at first that you'll want to visually spot you drone and it's not quick or easy to pop out of the googles and find your drone in the air. 4) You won't want to be using goggles with your grandkids around, whether it be for safety or just sharing the experience with them. But if you have money to burn and just want to try them out from time to time by all means go for it. However you may want to try something like this first. Full screen shade (just add reading glasses or magnifier for the FPV effect). Fully returnable if you don't like it. There are similar products available and I created my own DIY version which I only use from time to time. JMO

1604257868854.png

Reactions: Scooped
I have bought thousands of dollars worth of equipment, including a Mini and an Air 2, from B&H and don't think you can go wrong with them. 30 day return, free shipping, can save sales tax using their credit card, and on and on. Try them.

While I understand your concern and perspective, I can tell you as one who bought a "refurbished" M2 Pro, I couldn't be happier.

I agree.

My copilot use to work for a major computer manufacture that would fill large orders for businesses and government contracts.

Occasionally a batch would get returned due to an oversite but they were in perfect working condition and had to be marked as a "refurbished" product because it wasn't new anymore.

I too use a four sided shield for my mini4.

Works great. ?

I should have shown a photo of my "Vindbox", now modified (after photo) slimmer with more room for operating the touch screen. It's made to fit over a smaller 3-sided commercially made shade.

vindibox.jpg

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78