DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which computing platform has the most versatility with editing and photo construction?

Sowsalbitters

Reactions
Hello I’m new to this site. I am getting ready to purchase a computer for photo editing purposes I just like to get your opinions on which platform is better apple or Mac

Hello I’m new to this site. I am getting ready to purchase a computer for photo editing purposes I just like to get your opinions on which platform is better apple or Mac
depends upon your choice... if you got nothing, most cost effective one will be something based on the new amd cpus.

read this:
Recommended System: Recommended Systems for DaVinci Resolve

i have a very old PC i built 7 years ago :) - it was very fast back then with i7 cpu, but now with 4ghz on 6 cores is not cutting it.
i wait for the Ryzen 7 3700X cpu to hit the market and, probably, nvidia 2070 gpu.
apple has no comparable platforms to match this power and costs absurd amount of $ for the junk they put into their builds.

Welcome to the forums! Questions like this used to ignite a holy war between acolytes of the different OSs. These days, the best tools are available for Mac or Windows and things come down mostly to personal preference. Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve are good either way. I'd recommend checking out whichever platform you can get with the best processor, memory and graphics. Good luck!

Reactions: Thomas B

You mean Mac or PC? They both pretty much offer the same options. Adobe Creative Cloud is the golden standard of photo and video editing and it runs equally well on both platforms.

Mac offers a few extra alternatives to Adobe CC like iMovie and Final Cut Pro but tends to be much mite expensive for the same computer over PC

If your looking for an alternative other than Mac or PC I use an iPad Pro (I know, also Apple) to download, edit and render 4K video from my M2Pro. Easy to learn and use and it’s portable.

Reactions: deleted member 877
I use Adobe Premiere/Rush for video and Lightroom because it runs on Windows, Mac, iPad and Android but you are looking at $30 a month for that flexibility + cloud storage. (Rush is not out yet for Android but soon)

I love Macs and hate PC’s (actually I hate Windows) but you can literally accomplish the same exact thing with both. Software like Photoshop or Lightroom work exactly the same on both.

For the same hardware performance and storage, you will pay considerably more for a Mac over a comparable PC. The software is up to you and your budget.

I like my Mac I have both but prefer Mac. I like FCPX it seems to be the easy one of the two. Just my 2cents. Have a great day folks!!!!!

I'm guessing you mean Mac or PC?

Anyways Windows/PC has far and away the most build/configuration flexibility, and is considerably cheaper for a faster machine (with laptops it can literally be half the price for a better machine). Software choices are considerably wider as well. It's a no-brainer unless you have a very strong preference for Mac OS which these days any advantage is pretty well gone.

The local Computer dealer is a great option if getting the best bang for your buck is the highest priority. They can supply a custom made Windows PC from a range of components:-
  • Case with power supply and fan
  • Motherboard with OEM Microsoft Windows operating system
  • CPU
  • Memory (RAM)
  • SSD / HDD
  • Video Card
  • Keyboard & mouse
  • 4K monitor
The dealer will put all of the pieces together and ensure that Windows 10 is operating correctly. After that, all you need to do is install your preferred photo/video editing applications. I would suggest a minimum of a high-end Intel i7 CPU and 32 Gb RAM.

The best Storage option is to pair a solid state drive (SSD) with a larger hard disc drive (HDD) The SSD is where the operating system and applications are installed - this ensures very fast performance. The HDD is used to store your photos and video content. I would suggest a minimum of 64 Gb SSD and 2 Tb HDD.

As for the motherboard and video card - let the dealer know that you will be using the PC for video editing - they will be able to recommend the best choices to suit the intended purpose. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Geekybutfleeky_MP2
I've been using both Mac and PC since 1987. My 2011 27 inch iMac has worked flawlessly for 8 years. My i7 PC I built at the same time cost just as much as the iMac.The PC is faster at some tasks, the Mac at others. The Mac has better color and is far more reliable for ME. For photo editing I can use either but I prefer the Mac as it has a better monitor and I use Aperture. I do my video editing on the Mac because I love Final Cut X. I can edit 4K using proxies but I can't play them on the Mac without rendering down to 1080. I was able to simply upgrade the PC video card and I am able to play back 4K video on the PC. The iMac is EOL but I got a good 8 years out if it. Bottom line - for Photo/Video choose the software you want to run, then the hardware that runs it. Equivalent performance costs about the same, but the PC allows you to cut corners (if you want to save money) by assembling components that fit your budget.

Reactions: Sowsalbitters
Get the machine you are most familiar with.

I would make one suggestion. Don’t buy a spinning hard drive. My laptop and my iMac are 100% solid state. The speed bump just because of nothing moving except electrons made it 5-8x faster than anything I’ve owned (Istill have my Apple 2E from 2978 and it still runs).

In 4 years of writing online first person “games” for medical education and uploading to a cloud neither has missed a beat and still benchmark close to current models... due to the SS drives only electrons move and approach the speed of light.

So again, as video editing/rendering is processor intensive, go ALL solid state and lose moving parts.

I agree with an SSD for the boot drive but given the size of video files, SSD's are not even remotely feasible for large scale storage due to the huge cost. At current prices SSD's are around five times the cost of mechanical hard drives and as you've said video editing is processor intensive, a hard drive has no problem keeping up writing a 4k render because this is the best type of work for them. Where they really suffer is their random read/write performance since the system can't predict what's coming next and it has to move the mechanical drive to the correct position. My video editing machine has 30TB of storage and another 30TB backup storage which I know is small fry compared to many others but only 2.5TB of that is solid state as it wouldn't be remotely affordable to have both arrays as solid state and there's no real benefit to it either as all the operating and applications are already on the SSD's.

As a side not, SSD drives do not internally move at the speed of light...a fibre channel interconnect does technically use light for data transmission (although at lower speeds than in the air) however internally an SSD uses copper interconnects as do the data cables for any home consumer device. The performance advantage from SSD's primarily comes from their ability to almost instantly read or write to any portion of memory.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugsoft