DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which Maps to Trust for Safe Flying

mush71

Reactions
Hi All,

Just want to get a consensus on which map people use to determine whether it is safe to fly in a certain location. I use Airmap but when I compare the same location in B4UFly, I get very different warnings and alerts.

Which one should I trust? How often do these maps get updated? Is there an official map that I should be using or at least a better one?

Thanks

What you really should do is go to skyvector.com and look at the actual charts in your area if you want to be absolutely sure. The charts in skyvector are the actual aeronautical charts and they are the final word in airspace. I say that, but you also have to know how to read them. If you haven't don't worry, there is plenty of information out there that will help you learn.

Reactions: BigAl07
I think as long as you use AirMap properly your position is defensible in the off chance you are challenged.

B4UFLY is the FAA app so it will and does have the most accurate info.

Why don't the various apps agree? Some have so many orange circles they look like cancer-clusters around Chernobyl, while other seem to discriminate better. I've settled on Airmap because I can set it to focus on just the "Required Rules" for Part 101 recreational flying which allows me to fly without having to drive an hour from my house.

What you really should do is go to skyvector.com and look at the actual charts in your area if you want to be absolutely sure. The charts in skyvector are the actual aeronautical charts and they are the final word in airspace. I say that, but you also have to know how to read them. If you haven't don't worry, there is plenty of information out there that will help you learn.

Skyvector doesn't show drone-specific TFRs though: for that you should check the FAA's UAS map.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Skyvector doesn't show drone-specific TFRs though: for that you should check the FAA's UAS map.
That is why, as I have been saying for more than 2 years now, people should learn to check Notams at an airport near where they fly. Not only do you find out about TFRs but a whole lot of other things that may be pertinent to where you are flying.

Incorrect. Skyvector doesn't show drone-specific TFRs though: for that you should check the FAA's UAS map.

Skyvector does show TFRs and "DROTAMS". The FAA UAS Map does NOT show TFRs. The map only shows the UAS grids around airports, national security UAS flight restriction zones and airspace classes.
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Facility Maps – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
UAS Facility Map Decision Flow Chart

The only sure way of finding TFRs and NOTAMS is from the FAA here:
PilotWeb: Home
Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's
Defense Internet NOTAM Service

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member