DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which video editing software?

Are you trying to cut with the camera original files from the mavic? You should generate proxies and cut with those. GoPro Cineform works well or DNX HR LB.

Trying to edit with the h.264 won't work well no matter how beefy a system you have. The codec wasn't designed for editing.

Luckily premiere has a pretty good proxy feature. Just right click your clips and choose generate proxy.

If you guys have any editing questions just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx I will try that.

Are you trying to cut with the camera original files from the mavic? You should generate proxies and cut with those. GoPro Cineform works well or DNX HR LB.

Trying to edit with the h.264 won't work well no matter how beefy a system you have. The codec wasn't designed for editing.

Luckily premiere has a pretty good proxy feature. Just right click your clips and choose generate proxy.

Trying to figure out how to make a TimeLapse with CyberLink 15... Any help is appreciated...

Trying to figure out how to make a TimeLapse with CyberLink 15... Any help is appreciated...

Do you have a sequence of still images or 1 long video clip?

Reactions: wolfmad
I've just shot an 11 minute scene. But I made some errors and need to edit (in FCPX). Max file size is set to 4gb because of copy. I have a 64gb class 30 SanDisk SD card

Adventure is just bad planning

My Workflow is as follow with my Microsoft Surface i7, 8GB RAM during traveling: 0) Shoot in D-LOG mode to keep full color information 1) Put MicroSD into Surface 2) Cut important scenes directly on SD card out lossless with Xilisoft to reduce immediately size 3) Copy files to Surface and keep Original at stick for backup (64GB) 4) Use Adobe Premiere CC to degrade color, Horizont correction, White balance correction, resizing, etc. and finally compile movies

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Yoshimitsu
My Workflow is as follow with my Microsoft Surface i7, 8GB RAM during traveling: 0) Shoot in D-LOG mode to keep full color information 1) Put MicroSD into Surface 2) Cut important scenes directly on SD card out lossless with Xilisoft to reduce immediately size 3) Copy files to Surface and keep Original at stick for backup (64GB) 4) Use Adobe Premiere CC to degrade color, Horizont correction, White balance correction, resizing, etc. and finally compile movies

I feel sorry for you. Working with such detail and then using MickeySoft.

Adventure is just bad planning

I've never edited videos before and have literally no experience (only have exp with Adobe Lightroom for DSLR shots); after getting the DJI Mavic, I've really gotten into editing short videos (mostly of nature). The videos I'm planning to make are smooth aerial shots over the city/landscape, nothing too professional :p. I maybe plan to get into the time lapse game with a GoPro or DSLR in the future, but as of right know just want to focus on drone shots.

What video editing software is recommended for someone new? Everyone I've talked to seems to tell me to try Final Cut Pro X (or Adobe); is that too complicated? I love to learn all the ins & outs of mainstream professional software, but also don't want to spend more time learning the program and less time shooting. Again, only doing this as a hobby and posting it on instagram/fb/youtube.

Thanks!

I have been editing videos for years and I have tried them all until I came across a Corel product called VideoStudio Ultimate. I am currently using Corel's latest update, VideoStudio Ultimate X10. The program easily handles 4K and comes with tons of titles, transitions and effects that are not too difficult to master. Here is a video clip that I edited a few days ago using VideoStudio Ultimate X10.

Fast cutting of final edit clips???

Maybe you (or any of the pro's here) can help me out. My limited experience is with VideoStudio ProX3 (Corel) so excuse my lack of edit knowledge. For every 10 minutes of captured "water sports" video I probably have three to six short segments (3-20 seconds each) worth hanging onto for a final edit. I might have a whole bunch of initial 10 minute clips like this where cull out say 20-30 very short clips that I use as my basket for the final detail edit. The rest is throw-away stuff eating up lots of memory.

My understanding with most editors (and my own experience) is that I would have to load the clip, pull the short segment I want, delete the leftover stuff, and finally render a new much shorter clip for future edits. I would then have to reload the same clip for rendering another short clip for future editing.......a clunky procedure

It would be great to have a fast method of quickly pulling out those desired short "sub-clips" quickly before I got to the detail timeline/effects editing. I understand that Filmora has something like this with "Fast Cutter".

Does something like this already exist with Premier/Final Cut/DaVinci/PowerDirector or some standalone product? Thanks in advance!

FWIW, I'm gonna give DaVinci Resolve a try, what's to loose. If it doesn't pan out I guess Power Director 15 Suite (with ColorDirector) would be a second choice.

Last edited:
Fast cutting of final edit clips???

Maybe you (or any of the pro's here) can help me out. My limited experience is with VideoStudio ProX3 (Corel) so excuse my lack of edit knowledge. For every 10 minutes of captured "water sports" video I probably have three to six short segments (3-20 seconds each) worth hanging onto for a final edit. I might have a whole bunch of initial 10 minute clips like this where cull out say 20-30 very short clips that I use as my basket for the final detail edit. The rest is throw-away stuff eating up lots of memory.

My understanding with most editors (and my own experience) is that I would have to load the clip, pull the short segment I want, delete the leftover stuff, and finally render a new much shorter clip for future edits. I would then have to reload the same clip for rendering another short clip for future editing.......a clunky procedure

It would be great to have a fast method of quickly pulling out those desired short "sub-clips" quickly before I got to the detail timeline/effects editing. I understand that Filmora has something like this with "Fast Cutter".

Does something like this already exist with Premier/Final Cut/DaVinci/PowerDirector or some standalone product? Thanks in advance!

FWIW, I'm gonna give DaVinci Resolve a try, what's to loose. If it doesn't pan out I guess Power Director 15 Suite (with ColorDirector) would be a second choice.

Generally I would never delete camera original material until after the final edit is complete.

However on DaVinci Resolve you can accomplish this with the media management panel. Look for the option "move and trim used media" then select how many frame handles you want I recommend 2-3 seconds of handles. Premiere and Avid both also have equivalent media management and consolidate functions.

Generally I would never delete camera original material until after the final edit is complete.

However on DaVinci Resolve you can accomplish this with the media management panel. Look for the option "move and trim used media" then select how many frame handles you want I recommend 2-3 seconds of handles. Premiere and Avid both also have equivalent media management and consolidate functions.

Thanks! I'd luv to hang on to as much footage as I can during an edit, just need to see how much my aging I5/8gig system can even handle. DaVinci testing up next...

Which Xilisoft product are you using? Splitter, cutter? Does it just split/cut the original lossless? Without rendering?

My older pc cant handle these 4K videos, and I have been shifting over to IOS the past few years, so I just bought an Imac.

I looked at some YT tutorials for IMovie, and was very impressed with its power for a free platform.

Question - MUSIC. I was getting in trouble with the YT police for using ITunes sound tracks on my videos last year, even though I legally purchased them. Are you able to add an ITunes sound track you purchased to your video, and upload it to YT without any issues from big brother?

My older pc cant handle these 4K videos, and I have been shifting over to IOS the past few years, so I just bought an Imac.

I looked at some YT tutorials for IMovie, and was very impressed with its power for a free platform.

Question - MUSIC. I was getting in trouble with the YT police for using ITunes sound tracks on my videos last year, even though I legally purchased them. Are you able to add an ITunes sound track you purchased to your video, and upload it to YT without any issues from big brother?

It depends upon the license for your purchased music. Generally you can not use it on your videos but there is plenty of music that is licensed so you can use it. Youtube maintains their own collection for people like us to use. What you want is some royalty free music.

Here's a link to sources of Royalty free music curtesy of MavicHelp:

MUSIC

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580