DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

why can't I go higher than 500m next to a higher mountain?

In the US (don't know about Bali), even this isn't "breaking the law". The height restriction of 500 meters is something purely arbitrary and only imposed by DJI, not the law. In this case, even in the US, this wouldn't even be breaking the "400-foot recommended height" promulgated by the FAA, as the height recommendation is to remain less than 400 feet over the ground surface, which is not limited by takeoff position. The 400-foot "rule" is calculated from the maximum height of the ground surface (or structure surface) directly below the craft, even if that surface is 4,000 feet up a mountain from the initial point you took off from.
GUYS!!!! did you not hear what the moderator said???? Hes going to clean this post......

Great..... now we have the moderator watching us hahaha Nice going guys :) Lets get back to having fun flying
I'm always watching when I'm not flying or at my other hobby :)
mavic pilots.gif

Reactions: diveinstructor
GUYS!!!! did you not hear what the moderator said???? Hes going to clean this post......

This wasn't about modifying your MP. This is about clearing up a misconception about flying your drone that many people have.

First, many people thinks it's "against the law" to fly above 400 feet.

Second, many people think that the 400-foot limit is calculated from the initial point of takeoff.

If I'm standing at the foot of a 600-foot hill and I fly my MP up to 800 feet altitude above me but over the peak of the hill (well within the 500-meter height restriction of DJI, by the way), I am still flying responsibly and legally. I am only 200 feet above the top of the hill, despite the fact that I have now flown up well over "400 feet". That topic has nothing to do with the taboo topic on this forum and should be encouraged, not forbidden.

Reactions: Dragonfly
This wasn't about modifying your MP. This is about clearing up a misconception about flying your drone that many people have.

First, many people thinks it's "against the law" to fly above 400 feet.

Second, many people think that the 400-foot limit is calculated from the initial point of takeoff.

If I'm standing at the foot of a 600-foot hill and I fly my MP up to 800 feet altitude above me but over the peak of the hill (well within the 500-meter height restriction of DJI, by the way), I am still flying responsibly and legally. I am only 200 feet above the top of the hill, despite the fact that I have now flown up well over "400 feet". That topic has nothing to do with the taboo topic on this forum and should be encouraged, not forbidden.
I can see your point dude, but im staying out of this one. I like this forum and dont want to get banned.... big daddy is watching :)

Reactions: lisadoc
I really would like this thread not to be locked or deleted. Would love to see report from John on what's going on there. Maybe it is best if we just leave it at that?
Yup you did beat me to it :) Im staying off the height limit thread now, like I said I like this forum haha

As noted elsewhere, that's not technically true.

It is absolutely true of the DJI firmware-imposed altitude limit - all versions have the same limit. If you are talking about something else then that's a different matter altogether.

Reactions: dirkclod
It is absolutely true of the DJI firmware-imposed altitude limit - all versions have the same limit. If you are talking about something else then that's a different matter altogether.

Yes, "something else".

.giphy.gif

Are you the Australian reporter? If yes, invite Digdat0, CyberNate, or Dirtybum to come to Bali. I am pretty sure they can do it and you also have the budget to invite them over :). Don't forget to ask permission from the local government for the coverage from above the crater as otherwise (I believe) you will break the law.

Unlocking the 500m limit is easy. Making the Mavic to go up 2500m+ without losing connection, RTH not kick in when you reached certain height, and have enough juice to hover around for a few minutes around the crater is a different matter.
I'm digdat0 and i approve a paid vacation to bali :)

Reactions: rickw
I'm digdat0 and i approve a paid vacation to bali :)
Haha it's a really win-win situation, isn't it? You get a nice paid vacation while making good use of all the unlocking and mods you've done to your Mavic. Skynews would get the exclusive and probably world first coverage of the crater when eruption is imminent (is it? I hope it won't erupt). The government's vulcanologists would also benefit from the video.

C'mon John, send the ticket! :D

Reactions: digdat0
Just fly up 450 meters find somewhere to land, take off again and you can fly up another 500meters. Problem solved.

Just fly up 450 meters find somewhere to land, take off again and you can fly up another 500meters. Problem solved.

Unfortunately you would need to be physically present to power cycle the aircraft in order to reset the altitude limit.

Reactions: Dragonfly
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom