DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why would anyone attempt this?! Guy flying way too high in the mountains!

Yaros

Reactions
I found these videos (these videos are NOT mine) of a guy flying his Mavics way too high, I'm not talking about 500 meters max… He hacked the firmware and went so high that the height indicator glitched in an integer overflow and looped around into negative values… This is crazy!
My question is just WHY would anyone do this??

At 2:15 in the video you can see the height indicator going to negative values and seems like he is descending, but it is just glitched, he keeps ascending…

Here is the video (it is in russian, but just watch what he does, don't listen if you don't understand russian):

Here is him doing the same but with an Air 2S and (I guess) in a different location:

And he also did it with a Mavic 2, this video is titled “Mavic 2, strange glitch happened while doing height test, result: crash”. I mean, what does he expect, it isn't that weird for a mavic 2 to crash if you fly it to 3000 m AGL, is it?
Here is the video:

What do you think about this, is it normal?? He puts other (manned) aircraft at risk!

• Wow
Reactions: Ted B and Torque
23,000 feet!!!! Yikes. I can only imagine having a collision with a jet liner traveling at 500mph at that altitude.

23,000 feet!!!! Yikes. I can only imagine having a collision with a jet liner traveling at 500mph at that altitude.
Actually, we don't know his actually location and altitude. Looking at it briefly, I doubt he's in any airspace with traffic at that altitude. AGL is misleading. If you are already 5000' above sea level, then you need to take that into consideration. Still. Russians are crazy...that's for sure. LOL

I found these videos (these videos are NOT mine) of a guy flying his Mavics way too high, I'm not talking about 500 meters max… He hacked the firmware and went so high that the height indicator glitched in an integer overflow and looped around into negative values… This is crazy!

At 2:15 in the video you can see the height indicator going to negative values and seems like he is descending, but it is just glitched, he keeps ascending…

Here is the video (it is in russian, but just watch what he does, don't listen if you don't understand russian):

Here is him doing the same but with an Air 2S and (I guess) in a different location:

And he also did it with a Mavic 2, this video is titled “Mavic 2, strange glitch happened while doing height test, result: crash”. I mean, what does he expect, it isn't that weird for a mavic 2 to crash if you fly it to 3000 m AGL, is it?
Here is the video:

What do you think about this, is it normal?? He puts other (manned) aircraft at risk!
He’s the guy that delivers the pizzas to the International Space Station …………. 😉🚀🚀🚀

Actually, we don't know his actually location and altitude. Looking at it briefly, I doubt he's in any airspace with traffic at that altitude. AGL is misleading. If you are already 5000' above sea level, then you need to take that into consideration. Still. Russians are crazy...that's for sure. LOL
True. I think he is somewhere in Kazakhstan because his location on his YouTube channel is set to that.

Here is the video:

I think these are awesome vids!

How much risk he's possibly imposing on manned aircraft depends on the traffic density, which I expect is quite low.

It's not the kind of thing that I'd do rogue, but if I could get a clearance for it, and I had a jail-broken aircraft that was capable, I do it in a heartbeat!

1651152404151.png

MMFPV!

Hacking the firmware? First I've heard of this.
Why would he do this? Why not?
I actually find it encouraging that it's possible to hack the firmware to allow that!

Probably voids the warranty, though...

1651152535693.png

MMFPV!

Reactions: Yaros
Just to mention, this guy makes his batteries for DJI drones too, he makes “extended batteries” that extend the flight time to 40+ minutes. I don't like to use not OEM batteries, so I didn't try them, but he has tests on his channel using those batteries, pretty cool stuff.

Reactions: Amichael and basyok
I have MANY Russian (speaking) friends and culturally and attitudinally they are definitely different. Drones aside, every single one of them came here from the Soviet Union with nothing in their pockets and every single one is incredibly financially successful (one bought and island in Panama!!!). There might be something to learn from them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan