DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why would anyone attempt this?! Guy flying way too high in the mountains!

I have MANY Russian (speaking) friends and culturally and attitudinally they are definitely different. Drones aside, every single one of them came here from the Soviet Union with nothing in their pockets and every single one is incredibly financially successful (one bought and island in Panama!!!). There might be something to learn from them.
"An island in Panama" Hmmm...

"An island in Panama" Hmmm...
Yeah... This Russian immigrant and his partner, who came here with nothing sold their business to a large corp for $500 million! Not quite in Elon Musk's league... but not bad. I don't think they were 50 years old at the time of the sale. He can afford the island (which is really isolated). I haven't heard from him since he pulled up stakes and moved there full time.

In that part of the world, in that airspace…is is breaking any rules or laws? I’m not going to pretend to know and just enjoy the footage. No my place to speculate and spread negativity on people stoked on drones.

Reactions: Amichael
the footage is stunning and the demonstration of the Drones is impressive. Yes, it appears to be a risky act, but I want to believe the operator took precautions. Thankfully not everyone is capable of unlocking a drone to do this. Thank you for sharing.

I found these videos (these videos are NOT mine) of a guy flying his Mavics way too high, I'm not talking about 500 meters max… He hacked the firmware and went so high that the height indicator glitched in an integer overflow and looped around into negative values… This is crazy!
My question is just WHY would anyone do this??

At 2:15 in the video you can see the height indicator going to negative values and seems like he is descending, but it is just glitched, he keeps ascending…

Here is the video (it is in russian, but just watch what he does, don't listen if you don't understand russian):

Here is him doing the same but with an Air 2S and (I guess) in a different location:

And he also did it with a Mavic 2, this video is titled “Mavic 2, strange glitch happened while doing height test, result: crash”. I mean, what does he expect, it isn't that weird for a mavic 2 to crash if you fly it to 3000 m AGL, is it?
Here is the video:

What do you think about this, is it normal?? He puts other (manned) aircraft at risk!
I don't think he's hacking the software. It's supposed to be able to go up to 6,000 meters and he's just testing it with a "reinforced" battery. This is in Kazakhstan so they probably don't have the same rules we have in North America.

My question is, do you really, truly, have not even a guess as to why the person in question did these flights? That was the purpose you made clear in posting this thread.

My answer to the WHY question is, "stunning footage".
Definitely a stunning footage. It's no different than the guy in Maui, Hawaii who does his range tests. BTW I don't think he hacked the drone. The Mavic 3 is supposed to be able to get up to 6,000 meters and he was testing it with a "hacked" battery to increase flying time.

BTW I don't think he hacked the drone. The Mavic 3 is supposed to be able to get up to 6,000 meters and he was testing it with a "hacked" battery to increase flying time.

That’d be ceiling altitude limit.
DJI would have the 500m max above take off point limit as all their aircraft do.

I don't think he's hacking the software. It's supposed to be able to go up to 6,000 meters and he's just testing it with a "reinforced" battery. This is in Kazakhstan so they probably don't have the same rules we have in North America.
All DJI crafts are software locked to max 500m above the HP ... the figure about 6000m stated in the specs are the max service ceiling above sea level. This means the max altitude the drone still can generate enough thrust to fly reasonably well in the thin air up there.

1651355181116.png

And a quick Google search actually show that the regulations are more restrictive than in the US ...

1651355294762.png

Reactions: Yaros
It is a challenge and fascination that it is possible at all... and it has its justification !

In order to explore the limits of a hi-tech device like an Air2s, it doesn't just need good weather, a full battery and a tuned bird... no... it also needs serious safety precautions.

With good preparation, i.e. consulting a real-time radar display such as "Flightradar24" (for airliners) and using "Air Sense", the safety risk during such a test flight can be minimized. Also not to be forgotten is a permit from the competent authority.

If the test flight or rather "record attempt" is also documented by video for YouTube, however, an explicit warning for imitators must also be included, and it should really be reserved for professionals to do so...

:cool:

a permit from the competent authority

Your video description really does give all the relative info about the steps you took for this 'flight'.

I'm simply astounded in a country like Thailand, being such a compact country with many flights in / out in the general surrounding region too, that the airspace authority there would grant any sort of permit for such a flight.

It would be nigh on impossible in most western countries, even if someone was at the pinnacle of the drone industry, or a movie maker etc.
Regulators would just say sorry, use a manned, piloted aircraft.

They'd see this as merely a 'because it is there' type of scenario, with no real purpose other than to see if it can be done / what sort of 'record' could be achieved.

I hadn't heard about the altitude limitation hack software you mention there, only NLD (which of course doesn't touch the air2 / air 2s).

Reactions: DroneZone Samui
I'm simply astounded in a country like Thailand, being such a compact country with many flights in / out in the general surrounding region too, that the airspace authority there would grant any sort of permit for such a flight.
Of course you're right... and certainly there would be no such exception permits on the populated mainland with a lot of air traffic (...)
However, we live on an island here and many things are much simpler and not strictly regulated as on the mainland or even compared to western countries.

One more thing about the hack software: it does nothing but put the device in a base state, with no restrictions on flight altitude and areas. You can also adjust other parameters that are otherwise fixed.
:cool:

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Hopefully he will accidentally fly into the path of a couple of Russian fighter jets - they need a few more bringing down.
Exactly!! Thumbswayup

Mods, sorry for briefly replying on p0litical topic. Just my opinion, nothing more. Delete this reply if necessary.

The previous experiments he made with his drones weren't enough for him. Today he released another video flying higher than ever! 6563 meters (21532 feet) AGL, and this time, he crashed his drone! When he reached that height he was already on 0% battery, and he did a CSC command, the drone turned off the motors, it started drifting horizontally a lot because of the wind, and then mid-fall the battery fell off, and it powered down! Looking at the footage, the experiment was conducted at a very safe place, no villages/houses around, so we can just hope that it didn't fall on anyone's head, because a free-fall Mavic 2 from 6K Km high will certainly do a lot of damage!

Here's the video:

The previous experiments he made with his drones weren't enough for him. Today he released another video flying higher than ever! 6563 meters (21532 feet) AGL, and this time, he crashed his drone! When he reached that height he was already on 0% battery, and he did a CSC command, the drone turned off the motors, it started drifting horizontally a lot because of the wind, and then mid-fall the battery fell off, and it powered down! Looking at the footage, the experiment was conducted at a very safe place, no villages/houses around, so we can just hope that it didn't fall on anyone's head, because a free-fall Mavic 2 from 6K Km high will certainly do a lot of damage!

Here's the video:
Yes... what should be said about that... "it's a pity that it fell down with 0% battery" or "congratulations on the new record attempt" (...)
If he had initiated the propeller shot down with 10% battery life, it would be "only" 6K m but the drone could be started again at 500m and land safely :cool:

Soon it will come... Headline: Folding Drone reaches stratosphere at 10km altitude !

Reactions: Yaros
Mavic 3 has ADS B, and can detect airlines planes

In a lot of countries light aircraft and helicopters don’t have to have ADS-B though.
So don’t rely on it where we fly out drones low, unless confirmed with someone in authority ALL manned aircraft in your location do put out a signal.

Reactions: growmedia and Yaros
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada