DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wifi & range Issue/Question

doleocent

Reactions
Hello,

When I am flying my drone, I only see a RC connection icon and satellites but no WiFi logo/icon. And in videos of people flying the mavic mini, I see that, so how can that be possible?
I will attach screenshot of what I see (0 sattelites because I am inside just to test).

My other issue is why I only get like 100 meters range and with luck in some clear area I get max 300 meters.

Other issue is that when the camera signal is lost, the whole RC is also lost, so I can't control the drone anymore.
It happened 3 times to me in just 2 days and it automatically returns home and then I get the signal back. This may be because I don't have the drone wifi but I don't know.

Can someone please help me with this 3 issues? I have the drone just 2 days so I need help, please.

Regards!

Attachments

• WIN_20200620_19_43_06_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200620_19_43_06_Pro.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 56
Hello,

When I am flying my drone, I only see a RC connection icon and satellites but no WiFi logo/icon. And in videos of people flying the mavic mini, I see that, so how can that be possible?
I will attach screenshot of what I see (0 sattelites because I am inside just to test).

My other issue is why I only get like 100 meters range and with luck in some clear area I get max 300 meters.

Other issue is that when the camera signal is lost, the whole RC is also lost, so I can't control the drone anymore.
It happened 3 times to me in just 2 days and it automatically returns home and then I get the signal back. This may be because I don't have the drone wifi but I don't know.

Can someone please help me with this 3 issues? I have the drone just 2 days so I need help, please.

Regards!
You can also make sure that you have not accidentally set distance or height limits and do I recall there are limits with new users as they get use to the drone?

Good luck

You can also make sure that you have not accidentally set distance or height limits and do I recall there are limits with new users as they get use to the drone?

Good luck
There are no limits
But please answer to my other 2 questions. Why does the RC disconnect at the same time as the camera? And why do I not have the drone wifi?

The fly app got updated recently and the look of the icons got changed. The icon with RC next to it is the new version of the wifi icon. It is common for the camera feed to fail around the same time as the RC signal. Your range sounds poor though. Do you have a clear path between you and the drone? Trees and plants absorb the signal well. Also flying near houses and offices increases the likelihood of interference from other wifi sources. Are you on auto channel select? Remember too that 5.8ghz channels have a range of about 500m and need reasonably good conditions to achieve that.

The fly app got updated recently and the look of the icons got changed. The icon with RC next to it is the new version of the wifi icon. It is common for the camera feed to fail around the same time as the RC signal. Your range sounds poor though. Do you have a clear path between you and the drone? Trees and plants absorb the signal well. Also flying near houses and offices increases the likelihood of interference from other wifi sources. Are you on auto channel select? Remember too that 5.8ghz channels have a range of about 500m and need reasonably good conditions to achieve that.
I have automatic. I get 100 meters when I fly it between houses and with a clear path and ni houses or obstacles 300m. I saw videos of people getting 3000-4000M without obstacles, so why do I get 300? I have CE Version but I should get more..

The FCC model has better range than the CE model you and I have. I've managed 1200m by manually selecting a clear 2.4ghz channel and flying out in open countryside. In 5.8ghz I usually see ranges of between 150m (near interference) up to 500-600m.

You need good conditions to reach the stated range of 2000m in the specs.

The FCC model has better range than the CE model you and I have. I've managed 1200m by manually selecting a clear 2.4ghz channel and flying out in open countryside. In 5.8ghz I usually see ranges of between 150m (near interference) up to 500-600m.

You need good conditions to reach the stated range of 2000m in the specs.
How do I change the ghz?

How do I change the ghz?
When manually choosing a channel the lower numbers are 2.4ghz and the much higher numbers are 5.8ghz.

When on auto mode and near houses it very often chooses 5.8ghz as there is much less interference. However, manuallu choosing a 2.4ghz channel in these circumstances may not help for range as you'd be competing against all the wifi noise around you.

Have fun flying! Try going out away from built up areas and see if it improves the range.

If you want to improve the range of your Mavic Mini (CE version) then you will have to purchase some kind of range extender. Simple range extenders exist for only a few €/$. These slip over the antenna of the remote and help focus the signal towards the drone. They do work and will improve range. They are however very directional so you must keep the remote pointing towards the drone otherwise the signal will be lost and the drone will RTH.
The other options are the more upmarket signal amplifiers like Alientech and 4 Hawks. These come at a price but depending on your budget are worth considering. I have the Alientech Pro 2.4G amplifier signal booster with antenna range extender. This allows me to fly the MM well out over 2 km without loss of signal or video feed back. More importantly within VLOS I have a strong signal with no loss of video or control range. However this is an expensive solution.

Hello,

Regards!
Are you flying with the prop cages installed? They will limit your range.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji