DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind. And more wind.

Uncle Hoser

Reactions
They say (the omnipresent "they") that the wind only blows twice a year in the Colorado River valley below Las Vegas...6 months from the North, and 6 months from the South. I'm starting to think that there's some truth to that. After living around here for 35+ years, I never really paid attention to wind speed until recently (flying!). Every ****** weekend. Blow, blow, blow. I'd really like to get more time in the air, but 40-50 mph gusts are not my friend. By the time it calms down, it'll be too stinkin' hot to get any lift!!!

Western Colorado, by the Colorado river. This is been the year of wind! I hear you loud and clear. Really having to check wind at all flight altitudes, can be fairly calm at lower and howling wind at 100'. Almost lost my MM before I could drop down to safer level!

I liked my MM a lot but wind is the main reason I moved up to an Air2. It’s an entirely different flying experience plus I don’t have to worry about the dang wind as much.

Reactions: dap455
Western Colorado, by the Colorado river. This is been the year of wind! I hear you loud and clear. Really having to check wind at all flight altitudes, can be fairly calm at lower and howling wind at 100'. Almost lost my MM before I could drop down to safer level!
Same up here on the E Orchard Mesa. My Platinum does ok but I don't send it too far in the wind.

I'd really like to know the 'recommended' maximum wind speed specs for my MA2, but haven't found that info anywhere. Anyone have a clue?
TNX...Dave

I'd really like to know the 'recommended' maximum wind speed specs for my MA2, but haven't found that info anywhere. Anyone have a clue?
Hi Dave, Max wind speed for normal ops is listed in the MA2 1.4 manual on pages 42 and 47 as 10 m/s (36kph; 22mph). Max speed for MA2 in Sport mode is 42mph. As long as gusts are below that and you have enough battery the MA2 will make steady progress back to the home point.

One of the big positives for the MA2 is the way it handles the wind for being a relatively small and light drone. The other day I flew when the UAV app was saying No. It was very gusty and the MA2 was shaking. But I got some nice, steady video and MA2 had no problem getting back to home point.

I saw a video where someone was hanging bottles of water from various drones. The MA2 had the best power to weight ratio, and I think that is one reason it is effective in heavy wind.

Reactions: Dbez1
I remain on standby here in the southern arizona desert, been blowing as high as 50 mph in the last couple of days, will it never end? My landing pad is still in place though, just in case it lets up tomorrow.
?

Hi Dave, Max wind speed for normal ops is listed in the MA2 1.4 manual on pages 42 and 47 as 10 m/s (36kph; 22mph). Max speed for MA2 in Sport mode is 42mph. As long as gusts are below that and you have enough battery the MA2 will make steady progress back to the home point.

One of the big positives for the MA2 is the way it handles the wind for being a relatively small and light drone. The other day I flew when the UAV app was saying No. It was very gusty and the MA2 was shaking. But I got some nice, steady video and MA2 had no problem getting back to home point.

I saw a video where someone was hanging bottles of water from various drones. The MA2 had the best power to weight ratio, and I think that is one reason it is effective in heavy wind.
Yessir, you are correct! I guess I didn't dig that deep into the specs...and/or do the conversions! Thanks for the info. I'll just have to read more thoroughly!

Cheers..
Dave

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan