DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

With a $1,500-$1,800 budget, which Apple desktop should I get for editing?

Well, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it but it's kind of pointless on this thread, isn't it? The OG was asking about the best *Mac* he could buy. Your opinion has nothing to do with that.

Do you just read bits and pieces off my posts.......??? Did you not see what I posted after that initial one liner.......Its not like I told him to buy a PC and then left.......I broke down the importance of each component when it comes to video editing which would hold true for both MAC or PC.......... Or did you put the blinders on after the first sentence and chose to respond back???

Easy guys .Yes you did break it down though your
LOL on all the crap Apple marketing BS.....FUSION drive, RETINA display, THUNDERBOLT cables, EPICAWESOMENESS keyboard, Chucknorris RAM......so lame......
wasn't necessary but did try and make light of it so it's all good .

I've been putting it off but getting ready to retire next week so I'm ready to jump in and start photo editing. Some 4K but mostly 1080 for YouTube.
A few (15) years ago, I did some desktop publishing on a Mac, but never got into movie editing. Now, with lots of free time (hopefully), it's time to teach the old dog new tricks.

I stopped by Best Buy and looked at apple laptops, but the desktops look like I can get more bang with my budget. I know that the right chips, memory, and storage are all important but know little about the specifics. I don't want to leave out something that would make me really sorry I didn't include in the purchase, so any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,
Bud

Apple charges way too much for additional memory.Get aftermarket(if your desktop is upgradable).Easy job.Macsales.com is good place to shop.

I'll answer. Lol
I'm learning. I bought lightroom cc first then learned (very basically) photoshop and now finally learning premiere pro... I'm definitely way over my head but I'm figuring it out..
And I'm able to do everything so far on my Surface pro 2017... Takes a little longer working with videos I guess but I haven't noticed an issue. Yet.
Obviously, a nice rig like these guys are talking about will only expedite the finished product worlds quicker... I guess...
Lightroom CC is an excellent app for editing pictures with a mobile device. I have been using it since last year. But for videos you’ll need something better than that and a powerful desktop with some kind of editing software. There’s a bunch of them out there and it just takes awhile to learn how to use whichever one you think is the best one for your particular needs. Personally I am using DaVinci Resolve 15 (free version) and there’s plenty of YouTube videos that are helpful to get going. I still have a lot to learn about video editing. :(

LOL on all the crap Apple marketing BS.....FUSION drive, RETINA display, THUNDERBOLT cables, EPICAWESOMENESS keyboard, Chucknorris RAM......so lame......

I didn't buy it for the funny names. I bought it because it boots up (completely) in 24 seconds. My Windows 10 machine takes about 3 minutes to boot, and then it usually has to Update Adobe or something a dozen times a week. We have several Apple machines and several Windows machines around the house. The Windows machines are always a lot more dusty, for some reason.

You're right though, you can get a new Windows PC for dirt cheap anywhere. Unfortunately, they don't hold their resale value nearly as well as Apple does. I just sold a 4 year old Imac for $1200, which I paid $1600 for (new - 4 years ago.) I can't give away any of my old Windows machines.

As you can see by the screenshot below, I have the exact same computer as @dirkclod . I just bought it a week ago and I love it. It is plenty powerful enough to do all the video editing and music recording that I do. I already have a MacBook, so I didn't need anything portable.

Just to make it even faster and more powerful, I plan to upgrade the RAM to 24GB for an extra $100 this week (buying it from Amazon and installing it myself - super easy!)

The Retina 5K display is amazing. You haven't watched a 4K Mavic video until you've seen it on this 27" display. I use iMovie and Apple Photos applications (both free) to do all my video editing and light color grading. It's very easy to use, and this is the first time I've done any editing like this, ever.

I found my computer at Best Buy as an Open Box product after Xmas. It was brand new with full warrantee (never been turned on) for $1511 + tax. The built-in 1TB Fusion drive is very fast, and I bought a 4TB Western Digital external drive for $99 for extra storage space for all the huge 4K video files.

I'm very pleased with this system and my total outlay (minus the cost of the Mavic 2 and accessories) will be just $1700 after I upgrade the RAM to 24GB. Much cheaper than buying a MacBook Pro and a 4K monitor separately.

Best of luck to you.

View attachment 58167
I bought one shortly before Christmas and you're not kidding about the 4K Mavic videos.

It's my first Mac, I love it.

Reactions: dirkclod
For running multiple applications at once, yes it made a significant difference and I only paid $59.99 for the extra 16GB’s from OWC.com. They’ve got great deals on the SIMM cards all the time.
And it’s quite easy to install them. There’s a YouTube video on how to do it and it only took me about 5 minutes.
As you can see by the screenshot below, I have the exact same computer as @dirkclod . I just bought it a week ago and I love it. It is plenty powerful enough to do all the video editing and music recording that I do. I already have a MacBook, so I didn't need anything portable.

Just to make it even faster and more powerful, I plan to upgrade the RAM to 24GB for an extra $100 this week (buying it from Amazon and installing it myself - super easy!)
Thanks for the tips and recommendations. I was going to buy everything at the Apple Store and have them install it!Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead