DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Worried!!

Raymondo1

Reactions
Hi,

Does anyone else feel really nervous when flying?

I heard people say they fly every flight with the expectation of loosing it (the drone).

I’ve been flying drones and rc helicopters for a few years but I can’t shake the feeling.

If you are in the US. Unknown as your profile does not state it. Then there are insurance options that can and "may" potentially relieve some of the flight stresses you are feeling.

I too experienced some of that feeling until I signed up with Statefarm Insurance and took out a personal articles policy for my Mavic Pro. It costs me $60 per year and covers anything that happens to the drone. Loss, Fire, Explosion, theft, watery grave, slamming into a building while in sport mode, etc

I realized very quickly that DJI Care Refresh would not provide anywhere near the level of coverage that an actual insurance policy would.
Only thing is that Statefarm does not provide this form of insurance to anyone living in California.

Now I fly with careless abandon like a little piggie yelling whee, whee, whee all the way home , uhhh, ehem, cough, I mean I fly with a bit less stress.

Where are you located? You could buy drone damage insurance, liability insurance, and other ways to protect yourself in case of accidents. Another way to stop worrying is to fly with an experienced pilot.

Reactions: Raymondo1
If you are in the US. Unknown as your profile does not state it. Then there are insurance options that can and "may" potentially relieve some of the flight stresses you are feeling.

I too experienced some of that feeling until I signed up with Statefarm Insurance and took out a personal articles policy for my Mavic Pro. It costs me $60 per year and covers anything that happens to the drone. Loss, Fire, Explosion, theft, watery grave, slamming into a building while in sport mode, etc

I realized very quickly that DJI Care Refresh would not provide anywhere near the level of coverage that an actual insurance policy would.
Only thing is that Statefarm does not provide this form of insurance to anyone living in California.

Now I fly with careless abandon like a little piggie yelling whee, whee, whee all the way home , uhhh, ehem, cough, I mean I fly with a bit less stress.

:)

Hi,

I live in the Uk and there is a company that does insurance for £120 a year and I wish I had got it instead of the DJI refresh.

What happens after making a claim?
Do your premiums go through the roof or do they say you can’t claim again?

It would make me feel better having insurance.

[emoji23]

Start with all batteries fully charged, show 10 or more satellites before launching, ensure home point and RTH is set properly, fly above obstacles, keep it in sight, watch estimated battery life and bring it home before Go 4 prompts you to, and watch your Mavic instead of your display screen. Fly like this for a while and you will learn to trust your flying capabilities and your Mavic.

Reactions: ff22 and Raymondo1
There have been at least two people that have posted about a claim to Statefarm and had funds issued to them for replacement of the drone without adverse consequences resulting in higher premiums.

Does this mean that in all cases ones existing premiums will not be affected. No. Its a case by case basis.
I have not personally made a claim as I have not needed to.

Disclaimer: I am not an insurance agent within any Insurance Agency at the time of this posting nor do I derive any momentary gains related to promoting such insurance services , but feel it is important to educate other flyers with options that may benefit them.

Start with all batteries fully charged, show 10 or more satellites before launching, ensure home point and RTH is set properly, fly above obstacles, keep it in sight, watch estimated battery life and bring it home before Go 4 prompts you to, and watch your Mavic instead of your display screen. Fly like this for a while and you will learn to trust your flying capabilities and your Mavic.

This is fantastic information and advice! When the unexpected happens or you get a bit of panic attack you can also just take fingers off the sticks and "park in the sky" for a moment to collect yourself and plot your next move.

This advice should not be applied in high wind. :)

So
Hi,

I live in the Uk and there is a company that does insurance for £120 a year and I wish I had got it instead of the DJI refresh.

Now there is the option of selling the Mavic with the DJI Care Refresh as a perk and then repurchasing with the added insurance policy instead of the DJI Care Refresh. Ugghh. Seems like a long drawn out process...

Thanks for everyone’s help, it has made me feel a bit better. I will purchase the insurance and follow your tips.
They do say a bit of nerves is a good thing as well.

Hi,

Can I ask which company provides this?

Hi,

Does anyone else feel really nervous when flying?

I heard people say they fly every flight with the expectation of loosing it (the drone).

I’ve been flying drones and rc helicopters for a few years but I can’t shake the feeling.

Are you even asking? YES. I guess from watching videos posted, some folks don't have a care but I'm definitely concerned. And while the suggestion about insurance to cover loss/damage to drone, it is other objects and people that I'm concerned about. I just posted two shots of my drone over my home with its very GLASSY solar panels. So losing the drone would be one thing - a cracked/smashed panel or panels entirely another.

But maybe one does get over the feeling after lots and lots of flights and time and distance.

I see you are relatively local. Where are you flying and getting in some further distances and heights to get comfortable? Here in Seattle we are severely limited. I've gone to 60 Acres park but that means a 20 mile trek. I did join the Marymoor flying group but have not had an opportunity to take their tests. But that's also a trip.

Im not flying over crowds or heavily populated areas. I prefer nature and landscape flights and have an abundance of areas that are spectacular to photograph or film. So if I crash the Mavic it will be into the Lake or heavily forested areas.

Those solar panels you speak of are very rugged by the way. Most of the manufacturers have to meet certain hail impenetrability standards. I know the risk is still there and one would not want to test thier resilience , but nevertheless they are not wafer thin and crack if you look at them the wrong way.

Reactions: Raymondo1 and ff22
Im not flying over crowds or heavily populated areas. I prefer nature and landscape flights and have an abundance of areas that are spectacular to photograph or film. So if I crash the Mavic it will be into the Lake or heavily forested areas.

Those solar panels you speak of are very rugged by the way. Most of the manufacturers have to meet certain hail impenetrability standards. I know the risk is still there and one would not want to test thier resilience , but nevertheless they are not wafer thin and crack if you look at them the wrong way.

I only got it in Oct. I'm in an urban area where taking off/landing from any public property or street is forbidden so I've not had much opportunity. While driving to the Cascades is possible, I'd rather hike after expending the gas and our trailhead parking is not necessarily safe for leaving a drone while hiking. And I have to admit being old enough that the extra weight on the back would hamper me.

Well, I don't want to test the panels that way. That's a lot of glass and the Mavic is not exactly light. But I'm also concerned about neighbors' cars and strollers. I just need a bit more confidence.

My Roof.jpg

Landscapes are my thing too so I’m more worried about loss of the drone.

Reactions: BD0G
I see you are relatively local. Where are you flying and getting in some further distances and heights to get comfortable? Here in Seattle we are severely limited...
Most days I fly from an old school site in Shoreline just off of Ballanger way. I keep it within the school grounds and just enjoy flying without looking at the display. There are normally only a few dog walkers and I stay away from them. For distance I have flown from the beach just south of Carkeek park boundary to the Golden Gardens point. I only do this at low tide when there is plenty of exposed beach where I can land if I have to. I can sometimes find a seal floating just offshore. Be mindful that the train tracks are heavily used and for the operators peace of mind you should not fly too close to them.

As for height I keep it around 200 feet but will bump it up to 400 to have a quick look at the view.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman