DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Worrying about DJI Drones

RGS2010

Reactions
I'm worried that my significant investment in DJI drones will be denied use in the U.S. with the current state of U.S. / China affairs.
I'm not certain but it seems like the U.S. is denying the official purchase of DJI drones for the federal government (maybe state governments too & local police?).
I have also been concerned with the frustrating DJI locking of their drones in U.S. airspace, just doesn't seem right even though there are safety reasons, but seems like DJI should just back off before they lost MANY customers. I love the DJI products but ... we will see how all of this plays out.

Are other pilots in U.S. worried? Love to hear your comments.

Reactions: Droniac
I'm not especially worried. DJI's unlocking zone unlocking process is pretty simple. Annoying, but I unlock both my local areas any time I plan to fly, it takes about 2 minutes, and the unlock lasts 3 days. The proposed new restrictions (emphasis on the proposed) are only on government entities. I would be surprised, even if they are adopted, if the restrictions were extended to consumers, and even more surprised if the restrictions were retroactive to existing owners.

There are other folks with lots of regulatory experience here, so you might get a more informed opinion at some point.

Whilst I am not sure what "locking" you are talking about, given the number of idiotic videos that get posted on the likes of youtube it would not surprised me if governments started to compel manufacturers to irreversibly build in height and range limits that are in line with that government's own drone flying laws and likewise build in irreversible exclusion zones.

However I think it would be quite difficult to try and enforce such a restrictions on drones that were already in the hands of the users. Not everyone updates.

Whilst I am not sure what "locking" you are talking about, given the number of idiotic videos that get posted on the likes of youtube it would not surprised me if governments started to compel manufacturers to irreversibly build in height and range limits that are in line with that government's own drone flying laws and likewise build in irreversible exclusion zones.

However I think it would be quite difficult to try and enforce such a restrictions on drones that were already in the hands of the users. Not everyone updates.
How are you going to inspect a tower or a clear mountain top if you're limited to 400' AGL based on launch point?

How are you going to inspect a tower or a clear mountain top if you're limited to 400' AGL based on launch point?
It's not practical without the firmware being terrain aware so that it can compute AGL rather than AMSL. And I would expect that they would have to exempt professional users from some of those restrictions if they were implemented.

You couldn't, and I wholeheartedly agree with your point, but that would be sensible pilots paying the price for idiots. I suspect stopping idiots garners more public support, even if the public does not know that the idiots are unrepresentative of perhaps the majority of fliers, and therefore politcal favour than legislating for sensible pilots whilst permitting idiots to flout the law.

it would not surprised me if governments started to compel manufacturers to irreversibly build in height and range limits that are in line with that government's own drone flying laws and likewise build in irreversible exclusion zones.
If that happened, you'd see a hacking community spring up to find vulnerabilities almost immediately. Plus, it's getting much easier to build your own...completely free of any restrictions.

@thispilothere ,and there ladies and gentlemen is the elephant in the room
(completely free of any restrictions )
All drones, if flown responsibly ,and within the guidelines of where you happen to live
are subject to restrictions for height ,distance ,and location

My understanding is that most of the restrictions and regulations regarding drone flights in the US ( all drones, not just DJI) are at the insistence of the FAA and other governmental agencies, triggered, no doubt, by the need to keep air traffic safe and deal with the small number of pilots who fly irresponsibly.

Reactions: clgreen and Droniac
You couldn't, and I wholeheartedly agree with your point, but that would be sensible pilots paying the price for idiots. I suspect stopping idiots garners more public support, even if the public does not know that the idiots are unrepresentative of perhaps the majority of fliers, and therefore politcal favour than legislating for sensible pilots whilst permitting idiots to flout the law.
Wait, are you saying that you can't fly higher than 400' above ground? I could've sworn it was 400' above the tallest building within a certain radius.

The FAA rules generally say that you can fly up to 400 feet above an obstacle. But when you get LAANC approval to fly in controlled airspace the clearance indicates you can only fly to your requested altitude AGL, regardless of obstacles. Also, if you set a maximum height in the drone itself, I believe it knows about AGL and does not know about obstacles.

I'm not especially worried. DJI's unlocking zone unlocking process is pretty simple. Annoying, but I unlock both my local areas any time I plan to fly, it takes about 2 minutes, and the unlock lasts 3 days.
For reasons that I don't understand, which may include a private airport which hasn't been used in 20 years, my home area requires unlocking. I explained this to DJI and they sent a code that unlocked this corridor for 1 year. I still have to get LAANC approval, but that only takes about 30 seconds using Aloft.

For reasons that I don't understand, which may include a private airport which hasn't been used in 20 years, my home area requires unlocking. I explained this to DJI and they sent a code that unlocked this corridor for 1 year. I still have to get LAANC approval, but that only takes about 30 seconds using Aloft.
Strange, I can't imagine why DJI would lock an area around a private airport (which presumably has no controlled airspace associated). Also, pretty sure LAANC would not even give you an approval if it isn't controlled airspace. Are you sure you aren't on the outer edge of controlled airspace from a larger airport?

If you share your location (by private message if you prefer) a second set of eyes might clear up the mystery.

The FAA rules generally say that you can fly up to 400 feet above an obstacle. But when you get LAANC approval to fly in controlled airspace the clearance indicates you can only fly to your requested altitude AGL, regardless of obstacles. Also, if you set a maximum height in the drone itself, I believe it knows about AGL and does not know about obstacles.
The aircraft only knows height relative to takeoff. It does not know altitude AGL.

The aircraft only knows height relative to takeoff. It does not know altitude AGL.
That makes sense. Since I generally launch from relatively flat ground it's basically the same, but the distinction would be important for someone flying on uneven ground (e.g. near a hill).

Could you reference the private airport that needs LAANC clearance? It would have to be an airport with controlled airspace and I cannot think of a single private airport with controlled airspace associated with it.

My understanding is that most of the restrictions and regulations regarding drone flights in the US ( all drones, not just DJI) are at the insistence of the FAA and other governmental agencies, triggered, no doubt, by the need to keep air traffic safe and deal with the small number of pilots who fly irresponsibly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clang123